Research

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
topskull

Research

Post by topskull » 27 Aug 2002, 12:33

My Friend served in Russia towards the end of WW2 aged 17. He was in the signals attached to the 3rd Army????. He has told me he was only one of 8 to get out so it makes him famous!! I love his stories but would like to try and find more details of his unit. This is all new to me what do I do???
He ended up injured and became a POW making it to US forces.
regards

Richard Murphy

Post by Richard Murphy » 27 Aug 2002, 19:28

This may well be a wind up, but I'll point out the obvious;

a) There were no German forces in Russia "towards the end of the war", though he may, of course, be refering to the Russian (IE Eastern) Front.

b) 3rd Armee was disbanded in late 1939! Elements of the staff were transfered to 18th Armee (Which did fight in the former Soviet Union as part of Heeresgruppe Nord.), but there is no mention (To the best of my knowledge!) of a 3rd Armee in the latter days of the war apart from Patton's boys!.

Regards from the Park,

Rich

topskull

research

Post by topskull » 28 Aug 2002, 09:55

sorry ww2 is not my thing, thats why im doing research. My friend says he served in Russia towards the end of the russian campaign. When I asked hin with who, he says in the signals attached to the 2nd or 3rd army??? I do know that he was 17 and his father died near stalingrad............how do i find out more??

many regards

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 28 Aug 2002, 15:23

It might have been 3rd Panzer Army, who formed the Northern wing of Army Group Center. I suppose it is conceivable that elements from that formation might have ended up with AG North during the confused retreats in 1944.

cheers

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”