Propaganda-, Betreuungs- and Kriegsberichter- Units

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Larry D.
Financial supporter

Propaganda-, Betreuungs- and Kriegsberichter- Units

Post by Larry D. » 25 Dec 2004 00:27

Can anyone provide the differences between these three types of units and what each did in specific terms? All three were usually organized as companies (Kompanien) and platoons (Züge). The Kriegsberichterkompanien (KBK) employed reservist newspaper reporters and photographers as war correspondents to write stories for publication in the press. The Propaganda units, I guess, produced propaganda for distribution in occupied countries. But the Betreuungszüge are a mystery to me. I am not at all sure what they did. They seemed to be under the Ic (intelligence) branch of armies and army groups and were fully motorized.

Any help appreciated.

--Larry

Bildberichter

Re: Propaganda-, Betreuungs- and Kriegsberichter- Units

Post by Bildberichter » 12 Sep 2008 13:22

PropCollector
In memoriam

Post by PropCollector » 12 Sep 2008 18:00

Thank you Bildberichter for mentioning my old website! In my signature you see the new address at ww2propaganda.eu

The Betreuungszüge were the units that took care of propaganda and entertainment of the own troops. Welfare.
For example they made movies available to the troops at the front. Not necesarrely propaganda movies, but new movies from 'Die Heimat'.

Attached is a photo from my collection of a 'Kino' (cinema) in the N-Africain desert:

label:

Hans,
Collector of WW2 airdropped, shelled or rocketed propaganda leaflets:
http://ww2propaganda.eu

Bildberichter

Post by Bildberichter » 15 Sep 2008 07:20

PropCollector, thanks for an excellent site! I have spent many hours on it when I started researching the PK units. Nice to finally meet the "creator".

Thanks also for the bioscope pic! Excellent. I already bought a 16mm Siemens projector and a "Blitz" foldable screen for our PK re-enactment group. We hope to show "Ohm Paul" at one of our future events. I read in an Amerivan report that movies were usually screened under protection of an AA gun. I can easily imagine that a large movie screen flickering at night over a dark desert plain could attract unwanted attention.

Bildberichter

Post by Bildberichter » 15 Sep 2008 15:57

Seeing that you are from the Netherlands and interested in propaganda stuff, I thought you would like to hear about three of the books I got from an old widow the other day:

1.) Dutch Mijn Kamp, translated by Steven Barends (3rd edition). Hard cover with original dust cover and signed by a Dutch SS volunteer: “Gekregen van mijn vader den 25 December 1940, L.G. van Dijk, SS-man, 3 Komp, SS Westland”.

2.) “Moeder Vertel Eens Wat Van Adolf Hitler” by Johanna Haarer, translated by Steven Barends. Hard cover with original dust cover. Amsterdam 1942.

3.) Dutch “SS - Germanische Leithefte”. Den Haag, 1941, Nr. 2.

Some more info on these at:
http://members.home.nl/aniewold

All three books are in an excellent condition. They all carry a small stamp on the inside cover indicating that they at some stage belonged to Dr. Horace Hugo Alexander and formed part of the Van Glybrand Oosterhoff Dutch literature collection of the University of Pretoria. The books were apparently later thrown out due to their political incorrect content (probably after the 1994 election), but fortunately the widow’s deceased husband, who worked at the university, salvaged them.

Point of interest: Steven Barends passed away on 25 June 2008 (some say 23 May), aged 92, a month or two after I got the books from the wodow. So, I guess I will not be able to get them signed by the authorafter all. :roll:

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 15 Sep 2008 16:16

Propaganda Kompanie's cars in the North Africa ,(to note PK on mudguard)
from ebay exp.auction .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bildberichter

Post by Bildberichter » 15 Sep 2008 16:25

Nice! Here is another excellent Afrika Korps PK pic. I love the flying camel insignia.

(From: "Afrikakorps: Rommel's Tropical Army in Original Color")

Now I only need the GD pics... :wink:

Bildberichter

Post by Bildberichter » 16 Sep 2008 08:34

PropCollector wrote:The Betreuungszüge were the units that took care of propaganda and entertainment of the own troops. Welfare. For example they made movies available to the troops at the front. Not necesarrely propaganda movies, but new movies from 'Die Heimat'.
From the U.S. War Department publication Tactical and Technical Trends, No. 30, July 29, 1943. , No. 30, July 29, 1943, the following on PK Welfare Sections:

"The section (deployed with the Afrikakorps) possesses a mobile motion picture truck, several mobile film units on trucks, a band wagon, two loud-speaker trucks and a mobile library. A general staff officer, of about lieutenant colonel's rank with the Panzer Army in Africa directed the movements of this equipment, and those in charge of it reported to him once a week. The films, shown by the unit, were those current in Germany and no special propaganda films were shown. The mobile truck gave its shows in the open air using forward projection, with the audience between the screen and the truck. Antiaircraft protection was always provided. Sometimes movies were given in tents."

Obtained from: http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin/tt_trends.html

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”