Anti-partisan units

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 20 Jan 2005 17:10

2 batalions of 638 Infanterie Regiment (LVF) participated in antipartisan actions in Belarus in 1943.

Panzergenadier

Post by Panzergenadier » 20 Jan 2005 18:04

After some vacantion here we go again!!! Look here http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/ETO/Eas ... lkans.html This book is good sourse of info.

Regards and my best wishes,

Panzergrenadier

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 21 Jan 2005 09:37

Sometimes "antipartisan action" maybe be cover for genocide actions and executions of civil people.

/tom/

Glynwed

Post by Glynwed » 21 Jan 2005 16:09

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 08 Feb 2005 13:27

According to the Polish sources in June 1944 anti-partisan operation named " Sturmwind" was conducted in Lasy Janowskie area (Distrikt Lublin). In the action participated:
154.,174.,213. Infanterie Division.

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 08 Feb 2005 17:21

Hi tom,

tom_deba wrote:According to the Polish sources in June 1944 anti-partisan operation named " Sturmwind" was conducted in Lasy Janowskie area (Distrikt Lublin). In the action participated:
154.,174.,213. Infanterie Division.

Sturmwind I & II were the largest anti-partisan operations in Poland during WWII, with the total number of around 30,000 German soldiers. Do you have maybe any info on the partisan units. Were they AL or AK? Thanks.
Here's the German OoB from Munoz's Generalgouvernement book:

154.Reserve Division,
174.Reserve Division,
elements of 213. Sicherungs Division,
Stab Landesschützen Regiment 115,
Landesschützen Bataillon 994,
Landesschützen Bataillon 995,
SS-Polizei Regiment 4,
Gendarmerie Bataillon 1 (mot.),
Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Korps,
elements of 5. (ung.) Reserve Division and
air support.

Jaredhw61

Anti-Partisan Ops in Volhynia

Post by Jaredhw61 » 09 Feb 2005 11:21

I've been working on German anti-partisan reprisals during the war in the Volhynian region of West Ukraine. In particular I'm focusing on the area around Rovno/Rowno/Rivne, and my main focus has been on a Czech village named Malyn, which was destroyed and its inhabitants murdered on July 13, 1943 by German forces and some local units. The heart of my research has been to discover which other (non-German, presumably Ukrainian or Polish) Schupo units were used.

Here some details gleaned from German and Soviet sources:

Friedrich Vogel (Fogel) was the Gebeitskommissar for Ostrozhets, near Malyn, and he most likely ordered the reprisal. Vogel hails from the village Plotsvart, Bonn district, the Schwaben province of Germany. This is all I know about him. I
have no idea where he ended up after the war or even if he survived. If anyone knows anything about him I'd love to know.

Some other clues:

Khadortmann was the leader of the one the detachments that attacked Malyn - I know nothing else about him
Martin Lewandowsky (most likely Volksdeutsche) was one of the soldiers involved.
Another soldier was named Malek

As for uniforms, I have testimony that eyewitnesses saw skulls on the arms of some soldiers (which leads me to think Death's Head unit, but were they even operating in this region at this point??).
Another mentions seeing a picture of a deer on the backside of the German vehicles.

I know one of the divisions left from the town of Olyka, located north-east of Malyn. There was a German garrison located there in an old castle named Radizwill. If anyone knows anything this garrison that would also be of help. Other units either left from Dubno or Lutsk.

This not an isolated incident - other local villages were destroyed or attacked in this period, presumably by the same divisions. Namely, Gorodnitsa, Novosilki, and Ialovichi.

If anyone has any info on Malyn or even German units operating in this region during this time period (roughly mid-1942 through the end of 1943) it'd be of great to help to me. Thank you.

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 13 Feb 2005 16:45

About Sturmwind for Mark V.:

I have not got any book devoted it exclusively. Information about it can be found in several positions. What I found it is rather small...
1) The most important struggle took place 14 June 1944,
2) AK (Home Army), AL (People's Army), BCh (Peasants Batalions) as well as groups of Russian partisans struggled against Germans.
3) German forces were estimated to have counted 30 000 men.

genstab

antipartisan units

Post by genstab » 19 Feb 2005 19:49

Just for general info, in Army Group Center, 707. Infanteriedivision was in reality a security division also. That's just about all it ever did.

Best regards,
Genstab

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 20 Feb 2005 13:41

Shouldn't we treat German units suppressing the Warsaw Rising in 1944 also as anti-partisant units?

/tom/

genstab

Warsaw Uprising

Post by genstab » 20 Feb 2005 14:32

You have a good point there. I believe most troops involved were SS- Juergen Stroop got his neck stretched for it after the war. There weren't many atrocitiess like it in history- kind of a gigantic Oradour Massacre. And Helmut Kohl tried to keep from recognizing the Oder-Niesse Line. Hah!

Best regards,
Genstab

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 20 Feb 2005 21:58

genstab, Jurgen Stroop was responsible for Warsaw Ghetto atrocities in 1943. In the time of Warsaw Rising - German units were commanded by for example von dem Bach, Kaminski, Dirlewanger, Roch, Reinefarth, Stahel....

/tom/

genstab

Warsaw ghetto

Post by genstab » 20 Feb 2005 22:10

Yeah, my mind was somewhere else and just replied without thinking. Thanks for the correction.

Best regards,
Genstab

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 05 May 2005 17:42

Couple of pictures of Brandenburgers in Serbia:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Massimiliano

Post by Massimiliano » 07 May 2005 15:27

Ei Mark V. if you read italian recently there are two new books very interessant, one by Stefano Di Giusto "Operation Zone Adriatisches kustenland" and describe all the antipartisan operaton in the Ozak with all the units involverd it's avaible in all italan military shop at 47 € + spedition, the second it's the history of the Karstjaeger very detailed with more than 250 photos many from former members and never seen befor, 280 pages, order of batttles etc. the book covers the real hisory of the unit, organization etc., this is a private edition book in limited copy but you can order it at this e mail: kjbook@gmx.net at 40 € + spedition, two very interessant books on the antipartisan war in the OZAK one negative point, both are written in italian.
Ciao Max

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”