German infantry and bayonet assaults

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 13 Sep 2002, 07:11

Bad Tolz wrote:Lots of German H2H successes though came in battles against the Western Allies.Read accounts from Greece,Italy,France.
Maybe against the Commonwealth and UK, but in the book Against the Panzers, they talk about many H2H assaults and defences where, when they lack heavy weapons, that's the only thing that saves them. Also, in Bastogne, I know the US paras were excellent at that and defeated many a German soldier that way.

Logan Hartke

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 13 Sep 2002, 21:20

The classic bayonet charge was a thing of the past and the bayonet became the extension of the rifle rather than the musket being the extentsion of the bayonet.
Maybe against the Commonwealth and UK
should also read US.

:lol: aNDY FROM THE sHIRE

TiKi

Post by TiKi » 14 Sep 2002, 01:49

Well,
the bajonett was definitly not the prefered axis weapon in h2h-combat!!!

I think the soldiers searched for more practical weapons!
Like f.e. the LAH did in Winter 1942(and many other units used it also!)
They used sharped spades! That must be horrible situations with such a weapon! During 2 days of closecombat the 13.co lost almost the hole company!! Only a handful soldiers survived!!
My grandpa told me that these scenes he will never forget!!!
1. Heavy artillery-attack....
2. the loud russian "urray" they shouted when they attacked
3. And then the heavy close combat
4. when very close comrades were killed in action right beside you from whom you know almost everything from their families and situations at home!!!
After many of these situations you get blunt!
He told me not much about these fightings except
that he will never forget it in his life

Regards,
TiKi

Lobscouse

Big knife on small gun

Post by Lobscouse » 14 Sep 2002, 01:59

You can do anything with a bayonet, except sit on it. *
* Heard that from a German veteran, a long time ago.

Bad Tolz

Post by Bad Tolz » 14 Sep 2002, 08:52

Well from what I have learned Logan,its completely opposite.Except against rag tag remnants of German army-either too young-too old or poorly trained,the German troops fought magnificent H2H against the Western allies.In factwhat you state does not make sense-respectfully..as German troops did not often praise American troops for their prowess in close quarter combat-Japanese American exceptions.Your brothers to the North (Canadians) were much much better regarded in this type of terrible warefare.
Regards.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”