Freikorps "Danmark" and SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt. 24

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 10 Apr 2005, 19:57

ees, thanks for clarifying about the collar patches of the early Dutch volunteers. As to the photos posted, I believe that the tall Hstuf. in front in the shot showing the Frikorps on home leave in 1942 is Per Sörensen. He is shown in other photos, and someone asked what he wore under his EKI. That is the German Riding Badge, which showed that the bearer was experienced in dressage and competitive horsemanship.

There are two photos of von Schalburg with his son. In the second one, it is Sören Kam shaking Schalburg's hand. Kam was in Denmark on leave from Reg. Nordland before heading to Bad Tölz to attend the 8. Kriegsjunker Lehrgang, the first to include Germanic officer candidates. Schalburg had headed the Youth Branch of the DNSAP, and Kam had been a member of the Youth Branch, and had become a leader, and thus a sort of protege of Schalburg. So it was natural to bring the two together for a photo before Kam left for BT and Schalburg left to meet his fate at Demyansk.

A question was asked about Kam and the Iron Cross. As the photos show, plenty of Danes, including von Schalburg, Sörensen, and Knud Borge Martinsen won the EKI. I presume that what was meant was the Knight's Cross (Ritterkreuz). Kam (a platoon & company commander in Reg. Germania) was one of three Danes to win this, the others being Egon Christophersen (NCO in 7./Reg. Danmark) and Johannes Hellmers (commander of 6. Kompanie in the Dutch Reg. De Ruyter). The already mentioned Per Sörensen won the German Cross in Gold and Honor Roll Clasp as a company & battalion commander in Reg. Danmark. Johannes Just Nielsen won the Honor Roll Clasp (in its early form as a Certificate of Recognition from the Commander in Chief of the Army) after being killed at Demyansk as a platoon commander in the Frikorps. Alfred Jonstrup won the Honor Roll Clasp as an NCO in charge of Mail Services for Reg. Danmark (he carried a vital message through despite being badly wounded at a time when other communications were out of service). Finally, Nord Schleswiger ethnic German (and Danish citizen) Georg Erichsen was proposed for the Honor Roll after being killed in action in Kurland as the Adjutant of SS-PAA 11. It is believed his name was accepted, but the war ended before it could be published. Those are the Danish high award winners of whom I am aware (I go into non-German high award winners in much more detail in my Waffen-SS Encyclopedia, including context and background stories).

Michael Hvass

Post by Michael Hvass » 10 Apr 2005, 20:10

Thanks for the Info.

cuse i saw a danish documentary called "min morfars morder" (my granddads killer) wich says that Søren Kam was the only danish to get the cross of 1 rank??? true??

Michael

Langberg

Post by Langberg » 11 Apr 2005, 13:00

kstdk wrote:

As to the badge of Per Sørensen, i dont know for sure ( will check it ), but many of the officers in Frikorps Danmark were former offecers in the Danish Army - for example the Royal Guard, Dragoon Guards and others.

Maybe some Danish badge, order ??

Maybe Langberg knows ???

Answer:

Yes it is a Danish badge! In Danish it's called Dansk Rideforbunds Ryttermærke - roughly translated into English: The Danish Ridersguild Riding Badge.

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 11 Apr 2005, 19:29

Ahh, it's a DANISH riding badge, thanks for pointing that out. I had believed it must be the German version, my bad! As long as we are discussing Sörensen, let me point out he was one of the few well known guys ever seen in photos wearing the Frontfighters Cross of the DNSAP (even though he wasn't really a political activist, the way K.B. Martinsen was, for example). It's a small circle, with a swastika within and crossed swords sticking out, worn on the right breast pocket. The only other "personality" I have seen wearing it in photos is the Swede Hans Goesta Pehrsson (who was a Danish resident prewar, and came to the Waffen-SS via the Frikorps Danmark).

Kloster

Post by Kloster » 24 Apr 2005, 17:10

Michael Hvass wrote:Thanks for the Info.

cuse i saw a danish documentary called "min morfars morder" (my granddads killer) wich says that Søren Kam was the only danish to get the cross of 1 rank??? true??

Michael
Michael - Marc's responce, highligted in bold, also michael, the Iron Cross consists of many classes, IC 2nd class, IC 1st Class, German Cross in silver, German Cross in gold, Knights Cross, KC with Oakleaf, KC with Oakleaf & swords, KC with oakleaf, swords & diamonds and lastly KC with golden oakleaf, swords & diamonds. Søren Kam and 2 others have been IDed to recive the KC (Neck award)

Søren Kam recived the KC Febuar 7. 1945 by A.Hiter personaly.

picture with V. Schalburg, his son and shaking hands with another person, the 2nd person is Søren Kam, the picture was taken at Copenhagens Central Railroad station may 4th 1942 - V. Shallburgs son is dressed in a mini. SS uniform.
Marc Rikmenspoel wrote: A question was asked about Kam and the Iron Cross. As the photos show, plenty of Danes, including von Schalburg, Sörensen, and Knud Borge Martinsen won the EKI. I presume that what was meant was the Knight's Cross (Ritterkreutz). Kam (a platoon & company commander in Reg. Germania) was one of three Danes to win this, the others being Egon Christophersen (NCO in 7./Reg. Danmark) and Johannes Hellmers (commander of 6. Kompanie in the Dutch Reg. De Ruyter). The already mentioned Per Sörensen won the German Cross in Gold and Honor Roll Clasp as a company & battalion commander in Reg. Danmark. Johannes Just Nielsen won the Honor Roll Clasp (in its early form as a Certificate of Recognition from the Commander in Chief of the Army) after being killed at Demyansk as a platoon commander in the Frikorps. Alfred Jonstrup won the Honor Roll Clasp as an NCO in charge of Mail Services for Reg. Danmark (he carried a vital message through despite being badly wounded at a time when other communications were out of service). Finally, Nord Schleswiger ethnic German (and Danish citizen) Georg Erichsen was proposed for the Honor Roll after being killed in action in Kurland as the Adjutant of SS-PAA 11. It is believed his name was accepted, but the war ended before it could be published. Those are the Danish high award winners of whom I am aware (I go into non-German high award winners in much more detail in my Waffen-SS Encyclopedia, including context and background stories).
Another book about Freikorps Danmark with many pictures is: Østfronten - Danskere i Krig (Eastern front, danes in war) ISBN 87-14-296020-9 2nd Edition! 1999, as the first edition had several picture flaws and incorret information attached.

The picture of a pipesmoking dane on the swimmelwagen is SS Unterstuf. Robert hansen - picture was surposly taken in Croatia.

[Edit per may 2nd 2005) Picture was taken in Croatia, near the town Gilna, mid late 1943

Kloster
Last edited by Kloster on 02 May 2005, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

Kloster

Post by Kloster » 24 Apr 2005, 17:20

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote: There are two photos of von Schalburg with his son. In the second one, it is Sören Kam shaking Schalburg's hand. Kam was in Denmark on leave from Reg. Nordland before heading to Bad Tölz to attend the 8. Kriegsjunker Lehrgang, the first to include Germanic officer candidates. Schalburg had headed the Youth Branch of the DNSAP, and Kam had been a member of the Youth Branch, and had become a leader, and thus a sort of protege of Schalburg. So it was natural to bring the two together for a photo before Kam left for BT and Schalburg left to meet his fate at Demyansk.
Marc - Søren Kams older brother, Erik Kam was a former Royal Garder like V. Schalburg was and he was togetther with V. Schalburg in Finland and later with the Freikorps Danmark in 1942 - he died in 1984 of old age.

Kloster

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 24 Apr 2005, 19:31

Thanks for that detail, I have a large batch of photos from Sören Kam's RK party in Denmark, and Erik is in some of them, but I had no further details on his service!

Kloster

Post by Kloster » 24 Apr 2005, 19:33

Marc - the information was from the book i mentioned, i just edited my posting above to clear out some typos. if you need more from the book i'll try and dig throu it for you.

Kloster

Kloster

Post by Kloster » 02 May 2005, 13:23

hello Marc!

A bit more info regarding Erik Kam.

Badly wounded at the easteren front in jan. 1944, hospitalized, sendt home in may 1944, due to the wounds he was unfit for war, was arrested after the war in denmark, was aquicted in the first trial ( Byretten ) but was sented to 4 years in prison by the 2nd trial ( Landsretten ) and at the 3rd trial ( Højesteret ), they gave him 2 years instead of the 4 years that "Landsretten" gave him.

sorry, thats all i've been abel to find. hope you could use it.
Last edited by Kloster on 02 May 2005, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Hvass

Post by Michael Hvass » 02 May 2005, 20:46

havde ikke lige set det, takker

mvh Michael

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 02 May 2005, 20:50

Michael,

please write in English.

Best regards/ Daniel

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 03 May 2005, 19:14

Thanks for the Erik Kam update!

Michael Hvass

Post by Michael Hvass » 03 May 2005, 20:58

ups sorry. :D dont ever happen again

PK

Post by PK » 03 May 2005, 22:40

Where did Erik Kam served? in Rgt "Danmark" or in Rgt "Germania" as his brother? and what rank did he held?

/PK

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 18 Mar 2006, 13:43

I just wanted to ask the same as PK.
I'm also curious to hear more bout Erik Kam, like when he was born, what his rank was etc.

And I also hope somebody can tell me when J.J. Nielsen was killed, we now only know where he
was killed.

And maybe somebody can tell us when Georg Erichsen was born, now we only know he was from
Nord Schleswig and an ethnic German.

Greetings,
Mike

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”