Master list of all Waffen SS "named" units

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Tapani K.

Post by Tapani K. » 13 Jul 2005 08:36

Panzermahn wrote:
Regarding the Finnische Freiwiligen Battalion der SS, I do recalled it is also known as "Nordost" but I think it's not official...What do you think? I remember this unit was part of the Wiking Division.
This page claims that "Nordost" was the official German name for the battalion: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quart ... aining.htm

And yes, the battalion was part of the Wiking Division.

regards,
Tapani K.

Michi

Post by Michi » 13 Jul 2005 13:23

Die 31. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division hatte weder einen Namen, noch einen sogenannten fremdvölkischen Zusatz.

Die SS-Divisions-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen und Mähren" bestand aus mehreren Kampfgruppen.
Zuerst hatten diese SS-Kampfgruppen die Bezeichnung "Trabandt I", "Trabandt II" & "Trabandt III".
Zwei davon bildeten die SS-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen", die übrige die SS-Kampfgruppe "Mähren".
ZUSAMMEN bildeten sie die SS-Divisions-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen und Mähren".
Sie wurde Divisions-Kampfgruppe gennant, da einige sogenannte Divisions-Einheiten fehlten.

Die SS-Kampfgruppen "Böhmen"(2 Rgt) & "Mähren"(1Rgt) können als wesentlich verstärkete Regimenter angeshen werden, da jedem eine Artillerie-Abteilung und ein Pionier-Bataillon mitgegeben wurde.

MfG Michi

"Böhmen und Mähren" was more than a battle group, there therefore the most correct is:
SS-Divisions-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen und Mähren".
The first formed units were the SS-Kampfgruppen "Trabandt I" & SS-Kampfgruppe "Trabandt II" & SS-Kampfgruppe "Trabandt III".

SS-Kampfgruppen "Trabandt I" and SS-Kampfgruppe "Trabandt II" formed the SS-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen".
This was a battlegroup with a strength of 2 Regiments + at each Regiment was a Artillery-Battalion and a Pioneer-Battalion attached.

SS-Kampfgruppe "Trabandt III" formed the SS-Kampfgruppe "Mähren".
This was a battlegroup with a strength of 1 Regiment + an attached Artillerie-Battalion and an attached Pioneer-Battalion.

SS-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen" together with the SS-Kampfgruppe "Mähren" formed the
SS-Divisions-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen und Mähren".

The SS-Divisions-Kampfgruppe "Böhmen und Mähren" had a strength of 8000 - 10000 men (more than a Div type 45), BUT lacked of some divisional units (NaAbt, PzJgAbt, AufklAbt...), therefore only a
Divisions-Kampfgruppe.

The same with the SS-Division(s-Kampfgruppe) "Wallenstein"
Although there were more divisional unit with it.

MfG Michi

Michi

Post by Michi » 13 Jul 2005 13:39

What's about the
SS-Heimwehr "Danzig"???

MfG Michi

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 13 Jul 2005 18:37

Thanks for the update on the SS-KG-D "B-M." I'm sure the Reg. Trabandt III/Mähren is the "Reg. Siegmann" that fought separately from the rest of the unit, with Trabant I & II being Regs. Schulze and Konopacki.

As to the Finns, their first title was "Nordost," since their was also an SS-Reg. Nordwest, which had Dutch, Flemings, and Danes. But this latter was used as the cadre for the national legions, the Legion Nederland, the Legion Vlaanderan, and the Frikorps Danmark. And the Finns soon had their title changed to the Finnisches Freiwilligen Bataillon der Waffen-SS.

The contract of the Finns expired in the spring of 1943, and they left Wiking then. As a "related" replacement, the first combat ready battalion of the Estonian Legion was sent to Wiking as the unit mentioned above, the SS-Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier Bataillon Narwa. This was with Wiking until the breakout from Cherkassy. It was then returned to Estonia, but was far understrength. Its men got leave, and it then rebuilt and trained, and returned to combat in July 1944 as Waffen-Fusilier Bataillon 20 in the 20. Waffen-Grenadier Division.

Finally, the Heimwehr Danzig was the "home defense" militia of the German majority in the free city of Danzig (detached from Germany after WW1 to give the new Polish state a large Baltic port, but a city with a population still mostly German). In reality, it was more than a mere militia, it was an infantry battalion trained and supplied/equipped by the SS-Totenkopfverbände. After the Polish campaign, it was used for pacification duty to suppress the civilian population of Poland in common with other elements of the SS-TV, and then with the formation of the SS-Totenkopf Division in October 1939, it became the III. Bataillon of SS-Totenkopf Infanterie Reg. 3. Former Heimwehr Danzig commander Hans-Friedmann Götze became the first commander of the reg.

Michi

Post by Michi » 07 Aug 2005 19:39

Some more named SS-units (which I may have overlooked)

SS-Postschutz
SS-Bahnschutz

SS-Ersatzregiment „Sattler“ CO was SS-Obersturmbannführer Karl Sattler
SS-Grenadierregiment „Radolfzell“ CO was SS-Obersturmbannführer Willi Braun

MfG Michi

drachenheim

Post by drachenheim » 09 Aug 2005 14:05

Panzermahn wrote:Anyone can confirmed the existence of

SS Jagdeinsatz Polen (part of the SS Jagdverbande Ost)
SS(SD?) Estniches Einsetzkompanie (no, it is not wrong spelling, it is Einsetzkompanie, not Einsatzkompanie)
SS(SD?) Estniches Einsetzkompanie - co SS-Haupsturmführer Aavo Ürgsoo

Michi

Post by Michi » 08 Sep 2005 17:02

SS-Einsatz-Bataillon "Rehder": Kdt: SS-Sturmbannführer Werner Rehder.
Formed in mid-March 1945.

MfG Michi

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 11 Sep 2005 12:16

A large listing is in Tessin's volume covering named units within "Verbande und Truppen."

Mark C. Yerger

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 24 Feb 2006 09:20

Hello!! :)

Dear friends.. I have one photo of SS-Obergrüppenfuhrer Hans-Adolf-Prutzmann, with a strange cuff-title... is written "NORDSEE"="NORTHSEA" ...is possible? :?

Advancing thanks... :wink:

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 24 Feb 2006 09:57

FRANCY RITTER wrote: Dear friends.. I have one photo of SS-Obergrüppenfuhrer Hans-Adolf-Prutzmann, with a strange cuff-title... is written "NORDSEE"="NORTHSEA" ...is possible? :?
Prützmann:
01.03.1937 - 01.05.1941 Führer des SS-Oberabschnitts Nordwest (Hamburg-Altona), since 20.04.1940 umbenannt in SS-Oberabschnitt Nordsee
28.06.1938 - 01.05.1941 ”Höherer SS- und Polizeiführer bei den Reichsstatthaltern und Oberpräsidenten in Hamburg, in Oldenburg und in Bremen, in Hannover und in Schleswig-Holstein im Wehrkreis X” (Hamburg), Kurzbezeichnung: HSSPF Nordwest (ab 20.04.1940 Nordsee)

This is not a cufftitle of a Waffen-SS unit !!!!!

Dieter Z.

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 24 Feb 2006 10:02

Thanks Dieter :) :wink:

Bukstedt

Post by Bukstedt » 09 Apr 2006 04:54

Ivanwss wrote:Well, perhaps Lombard loved to drink Jägermeister,
so he decided to give it's insignia to his Division...? ( :lol: )

Sorry, off-topic, i know.

Cheers,
Ivan
It's a bit late, I know, but the reason the deer has a cross between its antlers is that it's from the Hubertus legend. While still a young pagan, Bishop Hubert of Maastricht (d.727) was out hunting one Good Friday only to encounter a stag with a dazzling cross between the antlers. Hubert saw that as a sign and promptly converted to Christianity.

Serbian boy

Post by Serbian boy » 09 Apr 2006 21:57

What about SS-Sonderformation "Drushina",CO: Radionov, also known by his alias "Gil"

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 09 Apr 2006 23:20

What about SS-Sonderformation "Drushina",CO: Radionov, also known by his alias "Gil"
It was part of the RSHA, not the W-SS

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 10 Apr 2006 20:24

Apparently, Division "Maria Theresa" was also known as
22. SS-Kavallerie-Freiwilligen-Division "Ungarn".
Any confirmations?

/Ivan

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”