Master list of all Waffen SS "named" units

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Harro

Post by Harro » 16 Jun 2005 17:27

Ooooow. I overlooked the fact that the list was infantry regiments only :)

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 16 Jun 2005 18:06

Timo Worst wrote:
Panzermahn wrote:I am a bit confused. Those units were already under the LSSAH so why is there any need to have a LSSAH unit to have be added the title/name "LSSAH"?
Because the title "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" was also added to the official sub-unit designations.
Thanks for the clarification

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 18 Jun 2005 06:27

I dug out my copy of Siegrunen Magazine #69, which has the translation of a Rudolf Pencz article on the SS-KG Division Böhmen-Mähren that earlier appeared in Der Frewillige (I haven't seen that version). As mentioned above, the manpower came from Arms Schools in Czechia, hence the unit's title, but it actually fought further south, in the Austrian "Wine Country" northwest of Vienna.

The unit had three infantry regiments, each named for its commander. These were :

SS-Reg. Schulze, under Knight's Cross winner Herbert Schulze (Das Reich veteran)

SS-Reg. Siegmann, under Erich Siegmann (tactics instructor at the JS-Prag)

SS-Reg. Konopacki, under Rudolf Konopacki (German Cross in Gold with the SS-Polizei Division)

The cadres came from the staffs and last classes at the SS-Panzergrenadier Schule at Prosetschnitz (aka Kienschlag), the SS-Artillerie Schule II at Beneschau, the SS-Pioniere Schule at Hradischko, the SS-Panzerjäger/Stug. Schule at Jannowitz, and the SS-Junkerschule Prag.

The rank and file were the very last conscripts raised by the German military, young men born in 1927-1929 (and so, some only 16 years old), who were passed along from SS-Panzergrenadier Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillonen 2 (at Prag-Rusin), 4 (at Pilgram, near Inglau), 16 (at Tschernowitze), and 17 (at Iglau).

They also came from SS-Pioniere Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillonen 3 and 4, and SS-Panzerjäger Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillonen 3 (Chlum) and 4 (Gross-Knowitz). Finally, the survivors of SS-Panzerjäger Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillon 1 (who had already seen action as KG Kiss) were also added.

Two separate units, not part of the three regiments, but still considered part of the SS-KG D B-M were SS-KG Röhwer and SS-Artillerie Abteilung Curtius, both named for their commanders. Hans Röhwer's group was formed from a special part of the Kienschlag complex, the Panzer Close Combat Inspectorate at Breschan (unsure of the German terminology, sorry) and from the SS-Panzer Spahwagen Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillon at Bukowan. Dr. Arthur Curtius was the commander of the forming sSS-Artillerie Abteilung 503, intended for the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps. It was forming at the SS-Artillerie Schule II at Beneschau, and was combined with elements of the school to form Curtius' KG.

The above units went into action from April 11, 1945, and mostly fought under control of the Panzerkorps Feldherrnhalle up to the end of the war (SS-Reg. Siegmann was assigned to Korps von Bünau). Pencz reports that most of the elements of B-M went into American captivity, and many of the soldiers under the age of 18 were released from captivity during the summer of 1945. Siegrunen editor Richard Landwehr adds a comment that many other B-M soldiers were turned over to the Soviets, including KG commander Wilhelm Trabandt.

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 18 Jun 2005 09:04

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the interesting info
The unit had three infantry regiments, each named for its commander. These were :

SS-Reg. Schulze, under Knight's Cross winner Herbert Schulze (Das Reich veteran)

SS-Reg. Siegmann, under Erich Siegmann (tactics instructor at the JS-Prag)

SS-Reg. Konopacki, under Rudolf Konopacki (German Cross in Gold with the SS-Polizei Division)
Any chance that these 3 regiments were actually formed kampfgruppes (since it was named under their commanders) that were misidentified as regiments units? I believe it was quite uncommon altough it is not impossible for Waffen SS regiments to be awarded with the unit title of their commander's name except it was for kampfgruppe..

What is your opinion, Marc?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jun 2005 11:32

Panzermahn, here are some more units named after their commanders:
(what's so strange in that...?)

31.SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "Lombard" (Gustav Lombard)
36.Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Sturmbrigade "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Panzer-Brigade "Groß" (Martin Groß)
Brigade der Waffen-SS "Schuldt" (Hinrich Schuldt)
Waffen-Sturm-Brigade "Kaminski" (Bronislav V. Kaminski)
SS-Bewärungs-Regiment "Kaltofen" (Hans-Heinrich Kaltofen)
SS-Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment "Beßlein" (Georg-Robert Beßlein)
SS-Grenadier-Regiment "Klotz" (Rudolf Klotz)
SS-Regiment "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Panzer-Aufklärer-Regiment "Meyer" (? Meyer)
SS-Standarte "Kurt Eggers" (Kurt Eggers)
Abteilung "Grams" (? Grams)
Abteilung "Kloskowski" (? Kloskowski)
SS-Einsatzgruppe "Ezquerra" (Miguel Ezquerra Sanchez)
SS-Sonderkommando "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)

Cheers,
Ivan

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 18 Jun 2005 12:46

Ivan, I could be mistaken, but wasn't SS-Standarte "Kurt Eggers" given that name to honor Eggers after his death? Wasn't he the first SS-PK man to be killed in action?

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 18 Jun 2005 13:19

Ivanwss wrote:Panzermahn, here are some more units named after their commanders:
(what's so strange in that...?)

31.SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division "Lombard" (Gustav Lombard)
36.Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Sturmbrigade "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Panzer-Brigade "Groß" (Martin Groß)
Brigade der Waffen-SS "Schuldt" (Hinrich Schuldt)
Waffen-Sturm-Brigade "Kaminski" (Bronislav V. Kaminski)
SS-Bewärungs-Regiment "Kaltofen" (Hans-Heinrich Kaltofen)
SS-Festungs-Grenadier-Regiment "Beßlein" (Georg-Robert Beßlein)
SS-Grenadier-Regiment "Klotz" (Rudolf Klotz)
SS-Regiment "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)
SS-Standarte "Kurt Eggers" (Kurt Eggers)
Abteilung "Grams" (? Grams)
Abteilung "Kloskowski" (? Kloskowski)
SS-Einsatzgruppe "Ezquerra" (Miguel Ezquerra Sanchez)
SS-Sonderkommando "Dirlewanger" (Dr Oskar Dirlewanger)

Cheers,
Ivan
Hi Ivanwss,

I am not saying that it strange about having units named after thier commander but I believed it is the common practice of Waffen SS to have kampfgruppe units named after their commander. For units that were named after their commanders, it is usually not the norms but there are exceptions to which you had posted here.
I think you're referring this unit existence under the command of Kurt Meyer during LSSAH's actions in Greece...right?
Ivan, I could be mistaken, but wasn't SS-Standarte "Kurt Eggers" given that name to honor Eggers after his death? Wasn't he the first SS-PK man to be killed in action?
Yes, Kurt-Eggers was the first PK man to be KIA and also one of the very rare units to be awarded together with a cuff title and title of the name of their commander. I believed some of the rare Waffen SS units that were named after their commander and also a cuff title were;

"General Seyfardt"
"Kurt Eggers"
"Voldemar Veiss" (I believed Voldemar Veiss title was awarded with a cuff title but i am not sure)
"Artur Phelps"
"Reinhard Heydrich"
(Heydrich is not a commander of any Waffen SS units. He was the chief of the SD but my inclusion is just to show contemporary German military figures in WW2 that were KIA and their names awarded to Waffen SS units with cuff title)

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jun 2005 13:29

Tom, you're right about Kurt Eggers,
sorry, i got out of bed few minutes before i wrote it ... :)

Panzermahn, SS-Panzer-Aufklärer Regiment "Meyer"
was part of SS-Panzerbrigade "Westfalen"

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=509

Cheers,
Ivan

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 18 Jun 2005 13:33

Ivanwss wrote:Tom, you're right about Kurt Eggers,
sorry, i got out of bed few minutes before i wrote it ... :)

Panzermahn, SS-Panzer-Aufklärer Regiment "Meyer"
was part of SS-Panzerbrigade "Westfalen"

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=509

Cheers,
Ivan
Hey Ivanwss,

you're that fast to reply..Perhaps you should be called as "schneller Ivanwss"..You took your lunch quite fast and came back to answer the other day :lol: :lol:

Okay, I am mistaken..thanks for the info....

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jun 2005 13:37

Panzermahn wrote:Hey Ivanwss,

you're that fast to reply..Perhaps you should be called as "schneller Ivanwss"..You took your lunch quite fast and came back to answer the other day :lol: :lol:

Okay, I am mistaken..thanks for the info....
:lol:

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 18 Jun 2005 18:16

In the case of the Böhmen-Mähren sub units, don't consider the titles to be honor titles. So you are correct Ivanwss, those are, in effect, KG titles. In other words, those hastily assembled regiments had to be called something, so for the moment they were referred to by the name of their commander. Had the war continued, they might have received a proper designation, such as SS-Grenadier Regiments 98, 99 & 100.

I'm sure that Kurt Eggers was not the first SS-PK man killed in action. He was killed in the summer of 1943, and there were some who were KIA sooner, for example Paul Augustin in March of that year. In fact, Eggers was not a PK man, he was serving as a combat soldier in SS-Panzer Abteilung 5 Wiking. But he was a prominent journalist before the war, and that is why his name was given to the Waffen-SS war reporters unit when it expanded to regimental size.

SS-Totenkopf Standarte 6 had served in Prague as occupation garrison troops in 1939, when Heydrich was named "Protector" of Bohemia-Moravia. That is why, after Heydrich's death, his name was given to the current version of that regiment, which had become SS-Gebirgs Reg. 11.

About General Seyffardt, after Hendrik Seyffardt was assassinated in early 1943, the 1. Kompanie of the Legion Nederland was given the honor title General Seyffardt. Later that year, when the legion expanded into the 4. SS-Panzergrenadier Brigade Nederland, the GS title was passed along to what became SS-PGR 48.

People sometimes wonder why the honor titles Voldemars Veiss and Hinrich Schuldt were given to Waffen-Grenadier Regs 42 & 43, respectively in the 19. WGD, instead of to lower numbered regiments in the 15. WGD. But in fact, WGR 42 was the most senior Latvian one, and WGR 43 the second most, meaning they were the first two organized. But, they were assigned to the 2. SS-Infanterie Brigade, and only after the creation of the 15. WGD was the brigade expanded into the 19. WGD. Thus the two most senior Latvian regiments were in a later-formed division, where they were joined by the 6th most senior Latvian regiment (WGR 44), formed last (while the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Latvian regiments were in the 15. WGD, as WGR 32, 33 & 34).

One final thought, for the moment, on named units. There has been considerable debate over the years on whether SS-Gebirgs Reg. 14 truly received the honor title "Skanderbeg" after the Albanian 21. Waffen-Gebirgs Division was disbanded. I had doubted it was more than a convenience-use name, but I have copies of some SS-FHA documents from March 1945 (courtesy of John Nelson, thanks John!) that most definitely show that SS-GR 14 WAS given the Skanderbeg title.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jun 2005 18:27

Thanks for infos again, Marc, really helpfull.

(btw, i think you have mistaken me for Panzermahn)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Jun 2005 18:39

Thanks for several very good posts Marc.

/Marcus

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 18 Jun 2005 18:56

I'm glad I can be helpful, so you are all welcome. And Ivanwss, yes, I did get confused for a moment, sorry! :oops:

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Jun 2005 19:09

Nevermind :)

Two questions, Marc:

1. Wilhelm Trabandt - last commander of Division "Batschka" or KG Division B.M.?
2. Have you ever heard of SS-Pz.Division "Tannenberg" and if you have,
can you post some info...?

this is the only source i've found mentioning this unit:
http://www.diedeutschewehrmacht.de/SS%2 ... enberg.htm

/Ivan

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”