SS soldier between wehrmacht members? (picture attached)

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
kriegserinnerungen

SS soldier between wehrmacht members? (picture attached)

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 27 Sep 2002, 09:13

Hi,

I have a picture in my collection where you can see wehrmacht soldiers standing in line, holding their k98. But what's kinda weird to me is that the last guy is a SS soldier. Was this common?

K.D.
Attachments
lastpic.jpg
lastpic.jpg (115.59 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 27 Sep 2002, 11:15

Depends where and why it was taken. It might have been a rush job for a propaganda Kompanie. So it might be a case of the photographer saying "gimme one more snap" and the unteroffizier saying "get that SS manner over there to stand on the end of the line".

They don't look too serious anyway. The second guy from the left looks like he's going to burst out laughing.

Tony

dirtysanchez84

Post by dirtysanchez84 » 27 Sep 2002, 11:17

I really like this picture!!

kriegserinnerungen

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 27 Sep 2002, 11:19

The guy you see on the picture on the left was the soldier who took all the photos from which I have now the negatives. (he became sniper later in the war) So it wasn't a PK-picture. But I guess it isn't "normal" to see this SS-lad standing between those wehrmacht comrades...

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 27 Sep 2002, 12:13

Do you know anything more about the soldier who became a sniper?

Regards

kriegserinnerungen

Post by kriegserinnerungen » 27 Sep 2002, 12:20

I have tried to gather more information about it but it's not an easy job. There are not many good books about german snipers and i guess there's not much known about them. I have made some scans from this negatives collection and I have some 4 good images from this soldier with his snipergun... If you want I'll try to put one on the forum. Now, yesterday I found out he was in the 251th Infantry division, regiment 471. This Inf. Div. would have been destroyed in november '43. Strangly I have some wintershot from german wintertroops wearing the fieldmutze '43. So these shots must have been taken just before their final hour? I'll put one of these also on the forum...

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 27 Sep 2002, 12:37

Well, I recommend you to post the picture because that increses the chance of you finding out more about him. Currently I'm researching about german snipers and I can agree that there's not much info on the subject.

regards

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 27 Sep 2002, 14:02

Could it be a Polizei-unit??

Just my 2 cent´s

regards

Hans N

HPL2008

Waffen-SS/Army

Post by HPL2008 » 27 Sep 2002, 15:00

Well, quite many Waffen-SS members attended specialized training courses in Wehrmacht installations. I think this photograph was taken at just such an occasion. Judging from the order of dress being worn (long trousers, no support straps etc.) they are apparently not in the field and the entire scene looks like they are practicing presentation grips under instruction by the NCO in front of them.
One more thing: If you look closely at the SS private you can see that he has a piped collar patch. The twisted cord piping on enlisted men's collar patches was officially abolished for the Waffen-SS in May 1940, but even before that date the piping was often omitted on the field uniform; so this photograph was apparently taken before or early on in the war. Since army assistance in the training of SS men seemed most common in the early days of the armed SS units, this too, would help to support the theory of a picture taken during such a training course.
Just my two cents.

HaEn
In memoriam

practice

Post by HaEn » 27 Sep 2002, 15:55

What they seem to be practicing is "Gewehr umhängen", or the Grüne Polizei's version of "Das Gewehr Über". HN

Zapfenstreich

GeWehr Umhängen!

Post by Zapfenstreich » 27 Sep 2002, 21:07

HaEn

Am I correct in thinking "Gewehr umhängen!" is the German equivalent of the American command "Sling arms!"? If so, I agree. The movement shown is identical to the American method.

Best regards.
Z

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 Sep 2002, 21:57

What I think is, that htey are training for using their rifles as bows - in case they run out of ammo (sorry, couldn't help it - I'll be quiet now ;))

Christian

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”