SS-pz.abt 11 "Hermann von Salza"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 12 Sep 2005, 07:39

I finally had a chance to do some scanning. Here is the famous picture found in many books, but rarely identified correctly as showing SS-Panzer Abteilung 11 Hermann von Salza at Narva. Yet their is no doubt of that unit and place, the tank has the "S" prefix used by the battalion, and the photo was shot by SS-PK mann Hans Truöl, who served with the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps during 1944. Rott wears the black Panzerjacke, with white winter trousers, and as I wrote above, still has his Infantry Assault Badge, and hasn't yet won the Iron Cross I. The photo is scanned from my own book, Soldiers of the Waffen-SS, and was supplied to me by Wolfgang Schneider (I had to return the photo, i don't have a print of my own).
Attachments
Rott.jpg
Rott.jpg (51.82 KiB) Viewed 1801 times

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 12 Sep 2005, 07:43

Also, here is the shot of Kurt Tebring, the Dane from Copenhagen who served as Philipp Wild's driver at Narva. He wears the Iron Cross I he won when Wild won the Knight's Cross. This photo has turned up in many books, but with usually only the Nordland cufftitle receiving notice, and Tebring's ID and role going unmentioned. This photo is from my personal collection, and was supplied to me by Holger Thor Nielsen.
Attachments
Tebring.jpg
Tebring.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 12 Sep 2005, 15:27

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:I finally had a chance to do some scanning. Here is the famous picture found in many books, but rarely identified correctly as showing SS-Panzer Abteilung 11 Hermann von Salza at Narva. Yet their is no doubt of that unit and place, the tank has the "S" prefix used by the battalion, and the photo was shot by SS-PK mann Hans Truöl, who served with the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzerkorps during 1944. Rott wears the black Panzerjacke, with white winter trousers, and as I wrote above, still has his Infantry Assault Badge, and hasn't yet won the Iron Cross I. The photo is scanned from my own book, Soldiers of the Waffen-SS, and was supplied to me by Wolfgang Schneider (I had to return the photo, i don't have a print of my own).
Third from the right has been identified as Sigurd Baecklund, a Swedish volunteer.

Best regards/ Daniel

Lasse

Post by Lasse » 12 Sep 2005, 18:02

Thank you Marc for these intressting photos!
I can also confirm on what mr Löwenhamn says about Baecklund.

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 14 Sep 2005, 20:08

Thank you boh for the ID of Per Sigurd Baecklund, I can recognize him now that you point him out, but I probably would never have noticed him on my own!

AlifRafikKhan

Re: SS-pz.abt 11 "Hermann von Salza"

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 05 May 2019, 12:04

Source: Siegrunen 80
Attachments
content_003.jpg

DKig

Re: SS-pz.abt 11 "Hermann von Salza"

Post by DKig » 09 May 2019, 04:42

When the unit is changed to SS Pz.Rgt.11? why?

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”