Armeegruppe Nikopol?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Ezboard

Armeegruppe Nikopol?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 13:19

Doug Batson
Unregistered User
(6/28/00 7:29:16 pm)
Reply Armeegruppe Nikopol?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would anyone have any information on this obscure formation. I believe it was formed from units that were defending the bridgehead at Nikopol in the fall of 1943. I would appreciate any help that you can give me.

Steen Ammentorp
Global user
(6/29/00 8:33:33 am)
Reply Re: Armeegruppe Nikopol?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armeegruppe Nikopol was formed as Armeeabteilung Nikopol or Eberback on the 1st of November 1943, different sources uses different names. Its commander was Gen.d.Pz.Tr. Heinrich Eberbach in the period 1.11.43-14.11.43 at which time the later GFM Ferdinand Schörner took over the command.

At the time Schörner took over the Armeegruppe consisted of the XXIX and IV Armeekorps and later the XVII Armeekorps was added.

Yes, the Armeegrppe did defend the bridgehead at Nikopol at the Dnieper, and much of Schörners "fame" originates from his stubborn defence of the bridges at Nikopol and Lepeticha (German spelling).

The Armeegruppe, also know as Pz.Grp. XXXX Schörner because Schörner was commander of the XXXX Panzerkorps, was disbanded on the 25th of December 1943. Schörner continued as commander of the XXXX Panzerkorps.

Sources:
Kern, Erich: Generalfeldmarschall Schörner. ISBN 3-920722-15-9
Siegler, Fritz Frhr. v.: Die höheren dienststellen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945. München 1953.
Westwood, David: The German Army 1939-1945. CD-Rom Vol. I

Hope this helps
Best Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”