Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by balkanguy44 » 19 Feb 2020 22:22

Hello, everyone!

I’ve come across a photo which shows Albanians in the “Ordnungspolizei” but there can’t be found any info about that. I think somebody made a mistake but were there any Albanians in the Ordnungspolizei or Wehrmacht?
I’ve checked all my documents and books but I’ve found no proof for it.

Kind regards,
BG44
Cheers,
BG44

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by DFrolov1992 » 20 Feb 2020 12:45

balkanguy44 wrote:
19 Feb 2020 22:22
Hello, everyone!

I’ve come across a photo which shows Albanians in the “Ordnungspolizei” but there can’t be found any info about that. I think somebody made a mistake but were there any Albanians in the Ordnungspolizei or Wehrmacht?
I’ve checked all my documents and books but I’ve found no proof for it.

Kind regards,
BG44
Hello BG44

In 1943, the Germans inherited albanian units formed by the Italians. In 1944, they reorganized parts of the Albanian Armed Forces (Albanischer Wermacht) and the miliz, which, although formally “albanian,” were in fact listed as Ordnungspolizei units. Ultimately, the Germans had at their disposal 1 and 4 regiments of the Albanian army and miliz battalions (Albanisches Miliz-Batl. "Tetovo", "Pristina", "Prizren", "Pec"). In an operative sense they were subordinate to the headquarters of the SS-Division "Skanderbeg".

Best regards
Dmitrii

User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by balkanguy44 » 20 Feb 2020 16:40

DFrolov1992 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 12:45

Hello BG44

In 1943, the Germans inherited albanian units formed by the Italians. In 1944, they reorganized parts of the Albanian Armed Forces (Albanischer Wermacht) and the miliz, which, although formally “albanian,” were in fact listed as Ordnungspolizei units. Ultimately, the Germans had at their disposal 1 and 4 regiments of the Albanian army and miliz battalions (Albanisches Miliz-Batl. "Tetovo", "Pristina", "Prizren", "Pec"). In an operative sense they were subordinate to the headquarters of the SS-Division "Skanderbeg".

Best regards
Dmitrii
First of all, thank you Dmitrii!

One more question, did they wear German “Ordnungspolizei” uniforms?

Kind regards,
BG44
Cheers,
BG44

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by DFrolov1992 » 21 Feb 2020 01:21

balkanguy44 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 16:40
DFrolov1992 wrote:
20 Feb 2020 12:45

Hello BG44

In 1943, the Germans inherited albanian units formed by the Italians. In 1944, they reorganized parts of the Albanian Armed Forces (Albanischer Wermacht) and the miliz, which, although formally “albanian,” were in fact listed as Ordnungspolizei units. Ultimately, the Germans had at their disposal 1 and 4 regiments of the Albanian army and miliz battalions (Albanisches Miliz-Batl. "Tetovo", "Pristina", "Prizren", "Pec"). In an operative sense they were subordinate to the headquarters of the SS-Division "Skanderbeg".

Best regards
Dmitrii
First of all, thank you Dmitrii!

One more question, did they wear German “Ordnungspolizei” uniforms?

Kind regards,
BG44
No, they looked more like robbers than military men and did not wear German uniforms.

User avatar
FlyingStukas
Member
Posts: 94
Joined: 22 Sep 2018 23:12
Location: Bosnia and Herzegovina

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by FlyingStukas » 21 Feb 2020 01:31

Interesting, Dmitrii.

So technically under German control but acting as some sort of local thugs? Interestingly neither did their Skanderbeg counterparts "dress for the occasion"

Cheers,
Filip
Cheers,
Filip

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by DFrolov1992 » 21 Feb 2020 03:49

FlyingStukas wrote:
21 Feb 2020 01:31
Interesting, Dmitrii.

So technically under German control but acting as some sort of local thugs? Interestingly neither did their Skanderbeg counterparts "dress for the occasion"

Cheers,
Filip
Hi FlyingStukas

They acted in accordance with the orders of the headquarters of the "Skanderbeg" division and showed themselves to be completely useless units. The Albanians from "Skanderbeg" were part of the SS-Division and therefore their uniforms were regulated by the procedures established in them, in contrast to the militia of the formerly “Albanian”.

Best regards
Dmitrii

dont tell them pike
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 10:28

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Mar 2020 11:12

A few years ago Dr Marenglen Kasmi an Albanian historian found some film in the Bundes Archiv showing the Albanian army 1943-44 that Dimitri mentions, not seen the film , but there are stills etc from the film.
The 2 infantry units are wearing Italian uniforms /equipment and have reintroduced the pre 1939 Albanian rank insignia, an nco on the right with 2 rank bars.
Not sure if the collar patches were in the pre 1939 green for infantry.
No idea about uniforms /insignia for the militia battalions,my guess would be Italian uniforms and side cap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tell him pike !

dont tell them pike
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 10:28

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Mar 2020 13:17

Found this years ago in a US university photo archive /pdf type file, can't recall where.

The text with the photo did say it might have been taken in Gostivar an Albanian town in North Macedonia,always wondered if it was of one of the militia battalions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tell him pike !

dont tell them pike
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 10:28

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Mar 2020 13:21

Another photo of an Albanian, date and location unknown.
Perhaps from a militia battalion ? Appears to have the leather leggings/gaiters and ammunition pouch the Albanian gendarmerie used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tell him pike !

dont tell them pike
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 10:28

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Mar 2020 13:25

Albanian militia, but are they from one of the 4 militia battalions of the Albanian army ?
Or an earlier raised militia unit (pre Skanderbeg ?) from Kosovo ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tell him pike !

dont tell them pike
Member
Posts: 158
Joined: 04 Nov 2008 10:28

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by dont tell them pike » 15 Mar 2020 13:29

Locally raised home guard/ village militia.
Don't recognise the dark uniforms, some pre war Albanian civil organisation uniform perhaps , customs/border guard ? Or Italian uniforms redyed ? I think the caps have the skanderbeg helmet badge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't tell him pike !

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 77
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by DFrolov1992 » 16 Mar 2020 00:31

dont tell them pike wrote:
15 Mar 2020 13:29
Locally raised home guard/ village militia.
Don't recognise the dark uniforms, some pre war Albanian civil organisation uniform perhaps , customs/border guard ? Or Italian uniforms redyed ? I think the caps have the skanderbeg helmet badge.
Hi!

The main problem of identifying such units was their form, often not brought to any common standards, especially if it concerned the militia or the so-called "national gangs". However, since the Germans inherited the former created by the Italians parts of the Albanian army, the uniform was mainly Italian and partly the former Yugoslav royal army.

Photo source: Антониjевић Н. Албански злочини над србима на Косову и Метохиjи у другом светском рату. Документа. Друго, измењено и допуњено издање. – Београд, 2009.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wardenhill
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 09:14

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by wardenhill » 16 Mar 2020 12:48

Excellent photos , the last two are interesting, the first one has an officer and some appear to have Yugoslav uniforms with the 3 pointed scalloped breast pocket flaps.
I would assume they were members of one of the 4 militia battalions raised rather than a local village home guard defence unit.

wardenhill
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 09:14

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by wardenhill » 17 Mar 2020 15:26

Few more militia or local village home guards, some have been issued with cloth ammo bandoliers.
Might be from one of the 4 militia battalions.
Plus a list of the Albanian military 1943-44.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wardenhill
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 09:14

Re: Albanians Wehrmacht (Ordnungspolizei)

Post by wardenhill » 17 Mar 2020 15:37

DFrolov1992 wrote:
16 Mar 2020 00:31
dont tell them pike wrote:
15 Mar 2020 13:29
Locally raised home guard/ village militia.
Don't recognise the dark uniforms, some pre war Albanian civil organisation uniform perhaps , customs/border guard ? Or Italian uniforms redyed ? I think the caps have the skanderbeg helmet badge.
Hi!

The main problem of identifying such units was their form, often not brought to any common standards, especially if it concerned the militia or the so-called "national gangs". However, since the Germans inherited the former created by the Italians parts of the Albanian army, the uniform was mainly Italian and partly the former Yugoslav royal army.

Photo source: Антониjевић Н. Албански злочини над србима на Косову и Метохиjи у другом светском рату. Документа. Друго, измењено и допуњено издање. – Београд, 2009.
Looking ay the photo with the men im greatcoats ,can't make out if the sidecaps are from the pre 1939 Albanian army or German.They don't appear to be bustinas or Yugoslav.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”