Cossack volunteer - photo id help

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Askold

Cossack volunteer - photo id help

Post by Askold » 25 Jul 2020, 16:40

Hi guys,

I came across two photos: one is WW2 photo showing cossack volunteer with unknown Cossack unit. The second one - post war photo of a decorated veteran Ivan Karabin, an officer who served in Ukrainian Free Cossacks. Could this be the same person? I tried comparing facial features, the earlobes definitely look similar. If this happens to be the same man, then we can finally id the unit that the cossack in the first photo belongs to. Would appreciate everyone's opinion.
Attachments
karabin.jpg
karabin.jpg (154.94 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Cossack volunteer - photo id help

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Jul 2020, 16:55

Good evening Askold,

you will find some info about "Kosaken / Wehrmacht"...

Several files as a *.pdf download, just one link:
http://portal-militaergeschichte.de/koller_kosaken

Just klick on the *pdf file on the site, just what you are asking for...

Hans1906

Take care about the book in german language:

Friedrich Kübler: "Kosaken - Mit uns im Kampf gegen Stalin und den Bolschewismus"
(Überlebende berichten)
Book from the year 1982 is online, as a *.pdf file
Exellent work, lots of very rare photos...

Excellent book, but to sorry only in the german language, a must read!

Hans1906

* The book is strange, not very pleasant to read, the transfer of the Cossacks to the Russian army is horrible ...

Btw. The great-grandparents of my former workmate Roman were cossacks, Roman very often talked about all this,
the family was deported to Kazakhstan,he was a very proud person, we were talking about all this very often, very good! :thumbsup:

the proud man always felt set back, once addressed stupidly, the man never forgot.

Addressed as a "Russian-German", the man was always very angry, and was extremely aggressive towards everyone.
A very fine person who understands but little fun when it came to his origin ...
The term "Russian-German" brought the man out of the house, which he did not accept at all.
Attachments
Kosaken Kübler.JPG
Kosaken Kübler.JPG (84 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Askold

Post by Askold » 26 Jul 2020, 05:37

Hi Hans,

Thank you for your feedback, I am fully aware of the Cossacks in German service history :) I was specifically curious about that particular photos.

CF Geust

Post by CF Geust » 28 Jul 2020, 08:18

Hans 1906,
please advise where to find the Kosack book on the web ("Friedrich Kübler: "Kosaken - Mit uns im Kampf gegen Stalin und den Bolschewismus" (Überlebende berichten)
Book from the year 1982 is online, as a *.pdf file")

Carl

Seppo Koivisto

Post by Seppo Koivisto » 29 Jul 2020, 13:13

Download link is on this forum post:
https://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/inde ... post541810

CF Geust

Post by CF Geust » 03 Aug 2020, 10:16

Seppo,
thank you - kiitos!
cfg

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Aug 2020, 11:47

Thanks to Seppo Koivisto,

unfortunately I forgot to put the link, the book is very interesting, unfortunately only available in german language.

Not very much about "Kosaken" in german service from my side, just one interesting photo,
that I found somewhere a long time ago, maybe interesting for some users here in the forum.
Photo is slightly enlarged, improved, and slightly sharpened, nothing more.

Hans1906

P.S. As far, as I am aware of, only german officers were wearing the white "Papacha" within the Cosack units,
if that's wrong, then i'm asking for an improvement?

P.S. "Lienzer Kosakentragödie" / "Lienz Cossack Tragedy"
Link:https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lienzer_Kosakentragödie
Attachments
Kosaken Goebbels.jpg
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 09 Aug 2020, 20:42

Askold wrote:
25 Jul 2020, 16:40
Hi guys,

I came across two photos: one is WW2 photo showing cossack volunteer with unknown Cossack unit. The second one - post war photo of a decorated veteran Ivan Karabin, an officer who served in Ukrainian Free Cossacks. Could this be the same person? I tried comparing facial features, the earlobes definitely look similar. If this happens to be the same man, then we can finally id the unit that the cossack in the first photo belongs to. Would appreciate everyone's opinion.
On my opnion it is some man

Askold

Post by Askold » 24 Aug 2020, 07:03

Thanks for the feedback. I thought so too, but wanted to hear other opinions that would confirm my theory. In addition, I have seen the same V shaped shevron on another Ukrainian unit.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”