Rimini List Ukranians

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
skippyste

Re: Rimini List Ukranians

Post by skippyste » 11 Jul 2021, 18:25

I am pleased to discover this thread. I am hoping to find out if my grandfather was on the Rimini list. Is there any help anyone could offer?

I have 302118 as the serial number on his displaced registration card issued 14/07/1947 (but date of 25/10/1946 crossed out) from Grieskirchen. Mychaljlo Skrypec DOB 20/12/1924.

Thank you in advance for your help or guidance.

steve248

Post by steve248 » 12 Jul 2021, 09:52

I don't know if he was on the Rimini list but Mychajlo Skrypec "from Poland" has two entries at UK National Archives regarding his naturalization:
HO 334/423/54222, 13 May 1959, resident of Suffolk
HO 409/25/12001, 13 Aug 1973, "Michael Skrypec" now resident of Lancashire.
HO are Home Office files and these most likely will be a single page in binders with lots of other folk.
The five digit number is likely the page or certificate number. You probably have your grandfather's certificate: a pretty document, fullscap size.

skippyste

Post by skippyste » 13 Jul 2021, 08:27

Thank you Steve. The first is my grandfather in Suffolk. I found on the transport list from 1947 there were two M Skrypec’s so it looks like the other came to the U.K. too!

MollySmith36

Post by MollySmith36 » 14 Nov 2021, 20:37

Hi , don't know if anyone can help . I am researching my partners grandfather Wolodymyr Puziak born in Ukraine 1924. He married in Coventry in the 1950's to an Italian lady. Unfortunately I don't have any other information, I am led to believe he had a military involvement and possibly was part of the Rimini list. Would anybody know how I can find out any information. Thank you

wsenkiw

Post by wsenkiw » 17 Jan 2022, 15:38

Joe,
My father was also in Rimini and then subsequently in Camp 156 in Lincolnshire. Have you any names of other Ukrainians that might have been in POW Camps?

Walter Senkiw

steve248

Post by steve248 » 17 Jan 2022, 19:52

Molly Smith
the UK National Archives does not have a naturalisation certificate for Wolodmyr Puziak or Puziak on its own
It does have one for Zygfryd Pusiak, "Polish", naturalised in Birmingham 25 Aug 1952. The search I made came up with a line on a page.

wsenkiw
you have three to chose from:
Josyf Senkiw, naturalised Orton, Ayrshire, 7 June 1978
Mykola Senkiw, naturalised Burton on Trent, 25 Oct 1973
Michael Senkiw, naturalised Stoke on Trent, 13 Sept 1961

Michael will have a line on a page; the other two will have a naturalisation certificate (carbon copy)

Hrycak

Post by Hrycak » 07 Mar 2022, 10:11

Hi, my husbands dad came over on the list. Keen to know more about the whole thing. He was from Lvov area, was in 14th Galician Waffen SS. Any good books, his name was Iwan Hrycak. Settled in Bedford area.

jmh186905

Post by jmh186905 » 17 Apr 2022, 15:34

Hi I was very pleased to find this site. My Father has recently compiled our family tree and found a wealth of information on his side of the family. Unfortunately he was unable to find much out about my Mother's Father, Jackym Bedrijczuk.
The only definite information we have is that he was born in Buczacz / Buchach in 1916. His father was killed during WW1 or a regional war just after. His mother re married and Jackym was a farmer when WW2 broke out. He never willingly spoke about his experiences in WW2 but he did complain about how the Germans used to steal his livestock and there was nothing he could do about it. He also said he had witnessed Jews being deported.
We know at some point during the war he was fighting in an Axis army in Yugoslavia against Titos Partisan's.
At some point he was captured by the Allies and was a POW in Italy (we don't know where, but it was on the coast. He witnessed people drowning in the sea there and was terrified of the sea after that). In 1947 he was brought to England and was housed in a few POW camps around Lincolnshire. Horbling and Woolfox Lodge. He was finally billeted at Sutton Bridge while it was a DP camp.
While in the POW camps, Jackym worked in the kitchens but we don't know if he was a cook in the army.
Obviously the limited information we have could suggest Jackym was in the Galician Division.
We have a few small photos of Jackym at POW camps in the UK. We also have one photo of him taken in Italy. I have read the excellent books on the Galician Division vol 1 and 2 by Michael Melnyk. There are some remarkable similarities to the uniforms of the men housed in Rimini and the men in my Grandfather's photos - the mismatch of the black POW uniforms and the British Tropical uniforms, also the black caps which some seem to have 1st Ukrainian badges on. Further evidence to support this theory is a photo of my Grandfather taken in the 1960s shows him proudly wearing an Association of Former Ukrainian Combatants in Great Britain Badge (unfortunately we don't have the badge now).
Like a lot of other posts on here we would love to know for definite if Jackym Bedrijczuk was in the Galician Division. I would love to know if he was a veteran of the fighting at Brody or if he was absorbed into the Division before its deployment to Yugoslavia.
Anyone who has any information that could help would be gratefully received. Many thanks, Jim Harrup. [email protected]

Jehc7

Post by Jehc7 » 17 Oct 2022, 01:38

arogers195 wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 22:17
Jehc7 wrote:
23 Jan 2020, 15:54
ashko wrote:
30 Nov 2014, 20:44
melnyka wrote:Hi,

I have just found this forum.
I have been trying to get info about my late fathers war record.
He fought for the Germans in WW2 but was always reluctant to discuss it.
I have written to 2 army archives in Germany but neither could help.
I have also contacted the Ukranian archives in Lviv to try and unearth some further family information.
I have contacted the Red Cross in Switzerland as well but didn't get anything from them.
I gave up some years ago, but found this forum and wondered if the Rimini list could help.
My father was captured and held in Rimini prisoner of war camp before being shipped to England.
Although through my research of the national archives it appears that the cabinet at that time did not want enemy prisoners sent here but pressure from the agriculture minister for cheap, willing farm labourers convinced them.
The archive records only give numbers but not names of Ukranians shipped to the UK.
My father came here in 1947 and worked on farms around Lincoln with 30 other Ukranians.
My father's d.o.b was 15-05-14.Place of birth Wychopny.
Do you know what info the Rimini list will have?
Best wishes,
Andrew Melnyk.
My grandfather was also in Rimini, in camp Belyaria. He also came to Lincolnshire to work as a farm labourer. I have a few photographs of my G-father in the POW camp and lots of other small photos. I think I have a photograph which was taken in England at Christmas, there are many men in the picture? I could email you the picture if you like, perhaps your father is in the photograph too? My grandfather came from Sniatyn, Ivano-Frankivsk.

Hello

I have read your post and think my grandfather could potentially be in these pictures from england christmas. Would you mind emailing? Im currently searching for info.

Kind regards

J Cabaniuk

I would also like to see photos, [email protected] is my email. I have some photos as well if you want to give me your email I can send them to you.
Hi, thank you for the response on this, have mailed you my email!

SMD74

Post by SMD74 » 27 Mar 2023, 12:28

My father-in-law was at one of the DP camps. The story we have been told is that he was in the UPA, was captured by the russians, made to fight for them, then captured by the germans, placed in a starvation camp, and laterlly made to fight for the germans. We are travelling to Italy and will be going near to Rimini. Does anyone know if there is anything at Rimini related to the Displaced persons camps?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”