Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjäger???

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Ustuf.33

Re: Serbian volunteers in SS Karstjäger???

Post by Ustuf.33 » 30 Sep 2010, 22:02

I already say the source of these 3 photos gaius : it is Karstjager, from Corbatti.

xqtr

Post by xqtr » 01 Oct 2010, 22:49

Ustuf.33 wrote:I already say the source of these 3 photos gaius : it is Karstjager, from Corbatti.
If it`s written there that is SDK member,then I agree. Both SDK and Slovenian home-guards had Italian uniforms,but Slovenian home-guards had their coat of arms on the helmet and on the left hand,while SDK didn`t put their coat of arms on Italian uniforms and helmets.
Picture of SDK with Italian uniforms on parade in Belgrade on 22nd June 1944:
http://www.znaci.net/images/11911.jpg

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 17 Oct 2010, 18:13

I know this topic was dead for 17 days but I have found something interesting in the book ''Italian volunteers of the Waffen SS''

Here it is.

The 24th SS Mountain Division "Karstjaeger" never actually developed Into a full-scale division but nonetheless remained
a highly efficient combat unit throughout its existence. It contained a mixed bag of personnel, dominated by a largely Austrian officer and NCO corps. Ethnic-Germans from the South Tyrol constituted the main manpower element but they were supplemented by pro-Fascist ethnic Italians along with Slovenes, Croats and possibly some Serbs as well.

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 13 Nov 2010, 18:24

Serbian heavy cavalry wrote: possibly some Serbs as well.
What's the source for this?

There were several Volksdeutschen from former Yugoslavia amongst the 24., possibily from Serbia also, but they were not ethnic serbs.
I've never encountered names of Serbs in such division, but there were quite a few Bosnian Muslims.
Pictures posted are related to the Serbian SS Volunteers which was NOT attached to the 24.

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 13 Nov 2010, 20:47

Hecht wrote:
Serbian heavy cavalry wrote: possibly some Serbs as well.
What's the source for this?

There were several Volksdeutschen from former Yugoslavia amongst the 24., possibily from Serbia also, but they were not ethnic serbs.
I've never encountered names of Serbs in such division, but there were quite a few Bosnian Muslims.
Pictures posted are related to the Serbian SS Volunteers which was NOT attached to the 24.
It is a book ''Italian volunteers of Waffen-SS'' by Richard Landwehr.

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 13 Nov 2010, 20:52

IMO it's a terribly written, poorly researched work. I doubt it's reliable.

SHC, why are you so interested in Serbs in the 24th SS? What does it matter?

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 13 Nov 2010, 21:58

Rob - wssob2 wrote:
IMO it's a terribly written, poorly researched work. I doubt it's reliable.

Nothing special. I was looking in Axis History Factbook http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=1919 when I saw this ''It consisted mainly of volunteers from Italy but also of volunteers from Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and the Ukraine'' and I got interested.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 13 Nov 2010, 22:22

Rob - wssob2 wrote:
Rob -

If the guy wants to know something, he's allowed to ask.

George

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 13 Nov 2010, 22:47

If the guy wants to know something, he's allowed to ask.
Absolutely. Am I in turn allowed to ask about a persons interest?

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 13 Nov 2010, 23:48

Rob -

This isn't the first time you've responded to members' questions with such remarks as "So what?" or "What does it matter?" If you're sincerely interested in other members' inquiries, I'm sure you can drop the obnoxious tone and respond in a civil manner.

George

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 15 Nov 2010, 22:54

Rob - wssob2 wrote:SHC, why are you so interested in Serbs in the 24th SS? What does it matter?
So, since when infos about ethinc presence amongst WSS divisions doesn't matter in historical terms?
IMHO, at least for me, discover that Serbs were eventually part of the 24 would be a very interesting info, and I'm not even Serb.

Dear Sir, always remember that if you have learnt a lot of things about SS, is just because there's people around that research and discover them.

Srbac

Post by Srbac » 30 Nov 2022, 06:32

Ustuf.33 wrote:
30 Sep 2010, 15:09
Slovenian home defense?? but they never belonged to the SS, isn't it??
do you have some proof that you think it is slovenian, and not serb?
This picture is Serbian Volunteer Corps soldiers that were issued Turkistan legion uniforms, and some wearing Italian stuff basic, and m40 ss hats.. they were probably issued for the future normal use as SDK did get into SS order of battle.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 02 Dec 2022, 19:15

Srbac wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 06:32
This picture is Serbian Volunteer Corps soldiers that were issued Turkistan legion uniforms, and some wearing Italian stuff basic, and m40 ss hats.. they were probably issued for the future normal use as SDK did get into SS order of battle.
Dear God, no. As Semenov correctly suggested 12 years ago, those are not members of the Serbian Volunteer Corps. It was a misassumption in Corbatti/Nava's Karstjäger book (based on a poor knowledge of uniforms), which ignorant people took for granted. The Serbian volunteers never wore such uniforms, nor did they wear non-Serbian insignia. They were only issued a portion of Italian helmets after the Italian capitulation - as were other troops lacking helmets (for example, the Slovenian Home Guard).

The pictured collar tabs are of the style used by the (ethnic German) Wehrmannschaft in Slovenia. They seem to be light-coloured (not black) and are all piped - as worn by the Wehrmannschaft. Serbian collar tabs weren't piped and were shaped differently than German ones. The enlisted Waffen-SS or SD men also didn't wear piped tabs (only their officers wore them, and rarely NCOs). And pictured are enlisted men. However, the Wehrmannschaft belonged to the SA and thus didn't wear SS caps (also, I can't remember seeing them wear dark collars). So, to which particular unit the pictured men belonged I can't tell for sure, but it's probably a less-documented formation, originating from the territory of Slovenia.

DSC01498.JPG
DSC01498.JPG (135.48 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

Cheers,
Ivan

Tom3277

Post by Tom3277 » 24 Feb 2024, 21:34

Dear members,

Sorry, I've noticed this thread only today. The men pictured above were positively identified by us as members of the SS-Wachmannschaften Triest. In this case the collar tabs were probably red and the SS style shoulder boards black, apparently both of local production . You can find a deep analysis of such images and much more in the uniforms chapter of our 2016 book "Globocnik's Men in Italy".

Regards
Looking for the Soldbuch of Hptw.d.SchP. Kurt Etowski.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 26 Feb 2024, 01:44

Hello, Tom, and thanks very much for the update (sadly, I still don't have a copy of Globocnik's Men).

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”