Pastoral care in Latvian units 1941-1945?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
grassi

Re: Pastoral care in Latvian units 1941-1945?

Post by grassi » 10 Feb 2015, 21:58

Hello Kaupo,

Thank you very much for your information! Welcome to the forum!

Could you please shed some light on Harald Kalnins' work between 1939 and 1944? He must have been returned from his pastoral work in France in 1939. After the amnesty 1946 he must have been returned to Latvia to work as a preacher or pastor.

Best regards

grassi

Saulkrasti

Post by Saulkrasti » 03 May 2021, 02:09

Hello Sir!

Thank you for contacting me. I hope that I will be able to answer your question about the life path of Harald Kalnins after 1945. First, please understand that the surname of Kalnins is very common in Latvia and I am unable find no evidence that he was in anyway related to the Kalnins who served in the Arajs Kommando. Dr. Kalnins was among the men of the 19th Division that surrendered in the Kurland Pocket on 10. May 1945. After going through filtration he was sent to (Georgia?) where he worked in a construction unit until being released in the 1946 amnesty. Upon returning to Latvia he first became the Pastor of the Lutheran Church in Jelgava (Mittau) before organizing the Jesus Church in Riga. After obtaining his Doctorate he was appointed as the 1st. Bishop for all Lutherans living east of the Ural Mountains in Russia. In addition to caring for Christians in Russia, he also worked in Ukraine, in Kazakhstan, and in middle Asia. While the Soviet authorities did their best to suppress his church work, he was fortunate to have received assistance from the Evanganical Lutheran Church of Germany. Today, all of his descendants are involved in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Latvia. His oldest son is the Pastor at the Riga Dome Cathedral, others are also Pastors, church teachers, and some also manage the Latvian Christian radio network.

Ar cienu,

Saulkrasti,

grassi

Post by grassi » 03 May 2021, 09:12

Hello!

Thank you very much, Saulkrasti!

Is there any detailed information available concerning Harald Kalnins working as a pastor or preacher during his military service?
He had been to St. Chrischona Seminary/Switzerland (1933-1937) and was qualified to work as a clergy.

Best regards

grassi

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”