Marcel Capoen

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Mikedc

Marcel Capoen

Post by Mikedc » 02 Dec 2006, 21:13

Hello,

I just wanna know of this person was born in France or in Belgium. I searched for the place Salonel through Google and all I could find was the French place Saleux. And according to my information he didn't die as an SS-Uschaf but as an SS-Ustuf.
So more information about this officer is welcome.

Greetings,
Mike

Nachname: Capoen
Vorname: Marcel
Dienstgrad: Unterscharführer
Geburtsdatum: 11.04.1921
Geburtsort: Salonel
Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 19.08.1944
Todesort: Patska, Estland

Daniel Laurent

Post by Daniel Laurent » 03 Dec 2006, 10:49

Hi, Mikedc,

I believe that the city isn't Salonel but Salouel, very near from Saleux, nearby Amiens in the North of France.
http://www.salouel.com/

I sent an email to the Town Hall, let's see if they confirm, I will keep you posted.

But I also found a Marcel Capoen in the Wallonie !
See :
http://home.arcor.de/sturmbrigade/Fuehr ... rsonal.htm
Look for Kampfgruppe Wallonien, 2.Kompanie...

I love when the fog is thickening....
:lol:
Do you know Eddy de Bruyne ? If this soldier was a Belgian, he is the one to contact.
Regards
Daniel
Last edited by Daniel Laurent on 04 Dec 2006, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 03 Dec 2006, 13:23

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your answer, hope we'll be able to sort this one out.

And yes, I already know about that site about the Sturmbrigade you're mentioning, that's probably also where I did find his name and his place of birth I got from somebody else. But because this person is working mostly with Belgian SS-officers I first thought Capoen was Belgian as well, his place of birth got me wondering.

So let's wait and see if he was Belgian or French, because the fact that he served in the 'Wallonie' doesn't say it all. It's for sure possible some French men also fought in this unit.

And yes, I know Eddy but I don't wanna disturb him that much, first I try it this way. And maybe he's reading this one of these days as well, so I'm patient.

Thanks again,
Mike

narwa44

Marcel Capoen

Post by narwa44 » 04 Dec 2006, 09:24

Hello,

Marcel Capoen was a Belgian citizen born in France (Salouël). Attended Bad-Tölz 11. Kriegslehrgang and was promoted SS-Ustuf. on 01.04.1944.
Condemned in abstentia by the Brussels Military Court (20.02.1945).

Hope this helps,
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Daniel Laurent

Post by Daniel Laurent » 04 Dec 2006, 09:32

Yeah ! My Salouël hypothesis was the right one !
:D

Many thanks, Eddy
Regards
Daniel

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 05 Dec 2006, 00:48

Hello Eddy,

See, being patient is a good thing.
Thank you very much for clearing this one up for me(and others who are interested in
Belgian SS-officers).
And Daniel was also correct when he said he believed it was a French town Capoen was born in.

Still, just one thing. Could we consider Capoen as a Flämisch officer or as a Walloon officer???? Because he served in the Walloon I would go for a Walloon officer but I wanna hear other opinions as well.

Greetings,
Mike

-Michael

Re: Marcel Capoen

Post by -Michael » 06 Dec 2006, 19:23

narwa44 wrote:Hello,

Marcel Capoen was a Belgian citizen born in France (Salouël). Attended Bad-Tölz 11. Kriegslehrgang and was promoted SS-Ustuf. on 01.04.1944.
Condemned in abstentia by the Brussels Military Court (20.02.1945).

Hope this helps,
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne
Was he Walloon or Flemish? In ‘Vlaanderen in Uniform’ he’s listed as a Flemish participant of the 11. Kriegs-Junkerlehrgang at Tölz, Probably an error?

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 06 Dec 2006, 20:01

Hello Michael,

Don't know if it's an error, at least that book is saying the same thing as Eddy de Bruyne is saying, he went through the 11. Kriegs-Junkerlehrgang.
And to be honest, although he served in the 'Wallonie', I think his name sounds more Flemish then French.
So maybe he was Flemish(at least Belgian)but born in France and serving with the 'Wallonie', strange indeed but it could be correct.

Greetings,
Mike

-Michael

Post by -Michael » 06 Dec 2006, 20:19

Mikedc wrote:Hello Michael,

Don't know if it's an error, at least that book is saying the same thing as Eddy de Bruyne is saying, he went through the 11. Kriegs-Junkerlehrgang.
And to be honest, although he served in the 'Wallonie', I think his name sounds more Flemish then French.
So maybe he was Flemish(at least Belgian)but born in France and serving with the 'Wallonie', strange indeed but it could be correct.

Greetings,
Mike
I know more Walloons with Flemish sounding names then Walloons with French sounding names ... you can't recognize one by the name. There where some Flemish vollunteers that were a member of the Division-Wallonie, like SS-Obersturmführer Paul Suys and Antoon Gombert, both where member of the "Rex-Vlaanderen".

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 06 Dec 2006, 20:29

Hello Michael,

I'm not saying you do recognize them by name, I was only saying that I thought his name was sounding more Flemish then French. But indeed, it proves nothing.

That's why I asked the following in an earlier post off mine in this thread:
Still, just one thing. Could we consider Capoen as a Flämisch officer or as a Walloon officer???? Because he served in the Walloon I would go for a Walloon officer but I wanna hear other opinions as well.

Greetings,
Mike

Daniel Laurent

Post by Daniel Laurent » 09 Dec 2006, 07:44

Hi everybody,
I got a reply from the Salouel Municipality.
They are asking for my postal address, so they will maybe send me something ?
I will keep you posted, of course.

Regards
Daniel

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 09 Dec 2006, 12:04

He Daniel,
Hope they send you some descent info on Capoen, would be nice of course.

For Eddy de Bruyne I've another question as well.
According to Stormman Paul van Tienen was a Flemish officer but Paul was born in Djakarte, Dutch East-India. So was he Dutch or Flemish, hope you can help me with that????

Thanks,
Mike

narwa44

Post by narwa44 » 09 Dec 2006, 12:41

Hello,

I'm sorry but I have only specialized in Degrelle's unit. The Flemish collaboration in not part of my interest or my investigations.
As far as Capoen is concerned. He was condemned by the francophone chamber of the Brussels Military Court, which means that his war-time address was situated in the French speaking part of Brussels.
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 09 Dec 2006, 12:53

Eddy wrote:
Hello,

I'm sorry but I have only specialized in Degrelle's unit. The Flemish collaboration in not part of my interest or my investigations.
As far as Capoen is concerned. He was condemned by the francophone chamber of the Brussels Military Court, which means that his war-time address was situated in the French speaking part of Brussels.
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne
Hello Eddy,

Okay, I understand. But because I wasn't sure about this I wanted to ask you this. So maybe somebody else can help me out with that one. And when I've some questions about a particular 'Walloon' volunteer I probably will contact you for sure.

And thanks for the extra info on Capoen, that's highly appreciated.

Greetings,
Mike

narwa44

Post by narwa44 » 12 Dec 2006, 11:35

Hello,

As a piece of complementary information, Marcel Capoen's mother tongue was French as mentioned in his Bad-Tölz personal Waffens-SS file (cfr BDC).
Yours,
Eddy De Bruyne

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”