Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by balkanguy44 » 03 Mar 2019 17:00

Thank you, Ivan!
Cheers,
BG44

User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by balkanguy44 » 06 Oct 2020 14:54

Hello everyone!

Has anybody got the new book "La division Handschar: Waffen-SS de Bosnie - 1943-1945" by Xavier Bougarel? It is a French book about the "Handschar" Division. I don't speak French but would like to know if there are some rare pictures from French arhives or something?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
BG44
Cheers,
BG44

User avatar
Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section
Posts: 7455
Joined: 05 Apr 2005 12:28
Location: Serbia

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by Ivan Ž. » 06 Oct 2020 15:04

Well, the cover, containing a staged (and mirrored) photo of customs officers escorting Roma men, certainly doesn't look promising ;)

81nOuTU7bmL.jpg
Cheers,
Ivan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by balkanguy44 » 06 Oct 2020 21:32

Good point Ivan.. I just thougt that he found some rare ones in the ECPAD Arhives.
Cheers,
BG44

ninoo
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: 10 Nov 2003 08:08
Location: manado

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by ninoo » 21 Oct 2020 01:38

No pictures at all. The book mainly dealing with infos about political, social life, mentality and war crimes of the division. His sources mainly came from archives and war crime trials from ex-Yugoslavia and interviews with ex-members of division in Bosnia.

User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by balkanguy44 » 21 Oct 2020 10:12

ninoo wrote:
21 Oct 2020 01:38
No pictures at all. The book mainly dealing with infos about political, social life, mentality and war crimes of the division. His sources mainly came from archives and war crime trials from ex-Yugoslavia and interviews with ex-members of division in Bosnia.
Oh.. thank you for the info!
Cheers,
BG44

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by DFrolov1992 » 21 Jan 2021 09:16

ninoo wrote:
21 Oct 2020 01:38
No pictures at all. The book mainly dealing with infos about political, social life, mentality and war crimes of the division. His sources mainly came from archives and war crime trials from ex-Yugoslavia and interviews with ex-members of division in Bosnia.
Hello!

Could you tell me to what extent the author considers the problem of war crimes, does he give specific examples, responsible units or guilty persons in this or that episode?

Best regards
Dmitrii

ninoo
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: 10 Nov 2003 08:08
Location: manado

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by ninoo » 23 Jan 2021 19:42

Hi Dmitrii,

There are infos about places and victim numbers by areas, including map locations of crimes.

According the writer, there are some factors that drove the division members committed war crimes, like vengeance, ex-membership in Ustasa killing unit (Crna Legija), Albanian mentality and officer order.

Albanian battalion got the most attention, including 2 sch kav from the battalion who capture 22 jews in tuzla.. But, some other units also got the hit, like abteilung IC n bosnian contingent from ex-Kama division that guarded hungarian jewish during death marsch in Sombor

Aside Franz Mattheis and Desiderius Hampel, there are some other ex-members of division who were called involved in war crime cases, like karl liebermann, ibrahim muminovic, smail Sehovic, walter Podeutsch, alexander glavas alias Rainer Hauptmann.

Best regards

Nino

User avatar
DFrolov1992
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: 18 Feb 2018 23:02
Location: Russia

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by DFrolov1992 » 03 Feb 2021 12:22

ninoo wrote:
23 Jan 2021 19:42
Hi Dmitrii,

There are infos about places and victim numbers by areas, including map locations of crimes.

According the writer, there are some factors that drove the division members committed war crimes, like vengeance, ex-membership in Ustasa killing unit (Crna Legija), Albanian mentality and officer order.

Albanian battalion got the most attention, including 2 sch kav from the battalion who capture 22 jews in tuzla.. But, some other units also got the hit, like abteilung IC n bosnian contingent from ex-Kama division that guarded hungarian jewish during death marsch in Sombor

Aside Franz Mattheis and Desiderius Hampel, there are some other ex-members of division who were called involved in war crime cases, like karl liebermann, ibrahim muminovic, smail Sehovic, walter Podeutsch, alexander glavas alias Rainer Hauptmann.

Best regards

Nino
Hi Nino

Thank you very much for the detailed answer! However, I can assure you that the "Albanian battalion" not only never had such a unit as a cavalry squadron, but also never was in Tuzla ...

Best regards
Dmitrii

ninoo
Member
Posts: 482
Joined: 10 Nov 2003 08:08
Location: manado

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by ninoo » 07 Feb 2021 17:51

Hi Dmitrii,

My mistake for quickly read. The cavallerie was a unit from 28th regiment according the book, not the Albanian batallion.

Regards

User avatar
balkanguy44
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: 11 Apr 2018 17:51
Location: Austria

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by balkanguy44 » 26 Feb 2021 16:54

Hello! Has anyone of you read the book “Croatia Under Ante Pavelic: America, the Ustase and Croatian Genocide in World War II” by Robert B. McCormick and can or cannot recommend it? Would be thankful for any answer. Cheers!
Cheers,
BG44

Orlov
Member
Posts: 569
Joined: 21 Feb 2003 20:15
Location: Europe

Re: Recommended reading on the foreign vol. & collaboration

Post by Orlov » 20 Mar 2021 10:52

balkanguy44 wrote:
26 Feb 2021 16:54
Hello! Has anyone of you read the book “Croatia Under Ante Pavelic: America, the Ustase and Croatian Genocide in World War II” by Robert B. McCormick and can or cannot recommend it?
Probably weak book - only Alexandrian microfilm without query in Freiburg, Zagreb, Ludwigsburg - "time of Alexandrian mikrofilm" only for lazy historian, who didn't want travel to German or another local European archives. Minus without FOIA - sic! But on plus based local Croatian historian - Ivo Goldstein, Jare Jareb or Jure Krišto.
Archival part of bibliografy McCormick:
Archives and private papers
Alex N. Dragnich Papers, Hoover Institution Archives, Stanford University. Branimir Jelic File, Federal Bureau of Investigation, FOIA.
John Moor Cabot Papers, Harry S. Truman Library, Independence, Missouri. Louis Adamic File, Federal Bureau of Investigation, FOIA.
Paul Sturman Papers, Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas. Robert Patterson Papers, Harry S. Truman Library, Independence, Missouri. Walter Bedell Smith Papers, Dwight D. Eisenhower Library, Abilene, Kansas.
United Kingdom, Public Record Office
FO 371, Foreign Office Papers, General Correspondence from 1906.
FO 1020, Allied Commission for Austria, Headquarters and Regional Files.
WO 202, War Office Papers, British Military Missions in Liaison with Allied Forces,
Second World War.
WO 204, Allied Forces, Mediterranean Theatre: Military Headquarters Papers, Second
World War.
US National Archives and Record Administration
Department of State, Records of the Department of State Relating to Internal Affairs of Yugoslavia, 1930–1944 and 1945–1949.
RG 59, General Records of the Department of State
RG 65, Records of the Federal Bureau of Investigation
RG 84, State Department Records Post Files
RG 153, Records of the Office of the Judge Advocate General (Army) RG 208, Office of War Information
RG 226, Records of the Office of Strategic Services
RG 263, Records of the Central Intelligence Agency
CROATIA UNDER ANTE PAVELIC
RG 319, Records of the Army Staff
RG 331, Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II RG 466, Records of the United States High Commissioner for Germany

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”