Russians in the SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
comanche

Re: Russians in the SS-Sonderkommando Dirlewanger

Post by comanche » 09 Sep 2013 03:43

Nice one Bubikopf!

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 11 Oct 2013 17:14

new russian book about this unit - Guerrillas hunters. Dirlewanger's sonderbrigade. One part this book about russians & ukrainians members
Охотники_за_партизанами.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 29 Oct 2013 09:43

Hello,
I would recommend a new issue of the historical journal "Echo of War" (Эхо войны) - there is an article about foreigners serving in the SS-Sdr.Kmd. Dirlewager - explains a lot. I was surprised that two Sinti soldier (sic!) service under his units. Just as I that one of the dead, buried in the lawns of the current Polish parliament was SS-Grenadier Horst Apfelbaum. Others were buried in children garden (present Polish Prime Minister Chancellery). After the war they were exhumated.

bestreg
Orlov

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 29 Oct 2013 09:47

[quote="Orlov"]Hello,
I would recommend a new issue of the historical journal "Echo of War" (Эхо войны) - there is an article about foreigners serving in the SS-Sdr.Kmd. Dirlewager - explains a lot. I was surprised that two Sinti soldier (sic!) service under his units. Just as I that one of the dead, buried in the lawns of the current Polish parliament was SS-Grenadier Horst Apfelbaum. Others were buried in children garden (present Polish Prime Minister Chancellery). After the war they were exhumated.

bestreg
Orlov[/quote

Orlov,

Since very few of us read Russian, would you be so kind to write down some of the most important datas of that article?
I would be very interested in know more about the 2 Sinti!

Thanks

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 03 Nov 2013 17:32

Hecht wrote: ... Two Sinti! ...
Hello, Hecht
Source: Олег Черкасский, B кровавом вихpe. Иностранные воeннoслужащиe в cоeдиниении Оскарa Дирлевангерa [в:] „Эхо войны” Но 1/2013, c. 26-38.
Oleg Cherkaskyj, In bloody gale. Foreign soldiers in Oskara Dirlewanger units [in:] "War's echo" 1/2013, p. 26-38. (especially p. 37) based on German books and memoirs
bestreg
Orlov

Hecht

Post by Hecht » 03 Nov 2013 18:19

Orlov wrote:
Hecht wrote: ... Two Sinti! ...
Hello, Hecht
Source: Олег Черкасский, B кровавом вихpe. Иностранные воeннoслужащиe в cоeдиниении Оскарa Дирлевангерa [в:] „Эхо войны” Но 1/2013, c. 26-38.
Oleg Cherkaskyj, In bloody gale. Foreign soldiers in Oskara Dirlewanger units [in:] "War's echo" 1/2013, p. 26-38. (especially p. 37) based on German books and memoirs
bestreg
Orlov
Thanks even if I will have trouble to read cyrillic..

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 17 Apr 2016 20:00

I read fantastic boook Zhukov & Kovtun (cover above), where two Russian historian describing servive of Russian and Ukrainians in SS-Sdr.Kmd. Dirlewanger and wrote the most of them was killing at the front fighting near Nevel. I thought that is impossible find info about Russian and Ukrainians in Dirlewanger unit. But I've found a decoration proposal for Warsaw Uprising for soldier SS-Sdr.Rgt.Dirlewanger. There was one Russian (SS-Grenadier Waldemar Iwanow) - and it's possible, that some of them stay & fight in Dirlewanger unit in VIII-X 1944.
Bestreg Orlov
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Semenov

Post by Semenov » 18 Apr 2016 20:41

Orlov wrote:I read fantastic boook Zhukov & Kovtun (cover above), where two Russian historian describing servive of Russian and Ukrainians in SS-Sdr.Kmd. Dirlewanger and wrote the most of them was killing at the front fighting near Nevel. I thought that is impossible find info about Russian and Ukrainians in Dirlewanger unit. But I've found a decoration proposal for Warsaw Uprising for soldier SS-Sdr.Rgt.Dirlewanger. There was one Russian (SS-Grenadier Waldemar Iwanow) - and it's possible, that some of them stay & fight in Dirlewanger unit in VIII-X 1944.
Bestreg Orlov
prorably, he is volksdeutsche

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 18 Apr 2016 20:46

Iwanow - VD? It's Russian name. Of course Waldemar isn't Slavic surname. Everything is possible on the Eastern Front.
Bestreg Orlov
PS: But this Shlow - what's the town? Шлов? Шклов?

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 29 Apr 2016 08:04

Maybe Shklov in Mogilev region?

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 11 Jul 2016 01:13

The next proof - that there wasn't Russians/Ukrainians in Russian/Ukrainian bataillon or company service alongside SS-Sdr.Rgt. Dirlewanger during Warsaw's Uprising. German prosecutor's document prepared for the process Reinefarth in the sixties.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 11 Jul 2016 01:19

tom_deba wrote:Maybe Shklov in Mogilev region?
That's right. Probably.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 11 Jul 2016 01:21

Next proof - that there wasn't Russians/Ukrainians in Russian/Ukrainian bataillon or company service alongside SS-Sdr.Rgt. Dirlewanger during Warsaw's Uprising. German prosecutor's document prepared for the process Reinefarth in the sixties.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 09 Sep 2020 17:37

More info about absence Russian in SS-Sdr.Rgt.Dirlewanger during Warsaw Uprising

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 09 Sep 2020 19:39

Hi Orlov -

Thank you for posting these fascinating documents. What is the source of the last document? Who wrote it?

Best regards,

George

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”