Flemish Flakbrigade 590 in Arnhem

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
ossaart

Flemish Flakbrigade 590 in Arnhem

Post by ossaart » 09 Apr 2007, 22:09

Does anyone has any information about the ;

6 th Batterie /Leichte Abteilung / Flakabteilung 590

The so called "Flaemische Flakbrigade" (Flemish Flakbrigade) that unit came also
into action during the battle of Arnhem in 1944.

Greetings from Holland,

Ossaart

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 19 Apr 2007, 13:53

Oostaart,

I would be interested in the source of your inofrmation. I do not have any indiciation that a unit existed under that name. There was the gem.Flak.Abt 155 in the Battle of Arnhem and the gem. Flak.Abt. 591 which would be the closest but not the one you mention. I have anumber of original documents on this subject so I may be able to provide some further help on this subject.

Cheers

Scott

ossaart

Flakbrigade

Post by ossaart » 19 Apr 2007, 19:57

Hello Scott,

The source is the book "Vlaanderen in uniform" volume 3 , Waffen SS 2 , by Jan Vincx.

Greetings from Holland

Ossaart

ekossen

Re: Flemish Flakbrigade 590 in Arnhem

Post by ekossen » 22 Jul 2017, 20:23

Apologies for the belated reply.
The Flämische gemischte Flak Abteilung 590 was formed from the Vlaamse Wachtbrigade, a unit made up of Flemish volunteers that provided guard duties for the Luftwaffe in occupied Belgium. After the collapse of the German army in Belgium, the members of the Wachtbrigade fled to Germany and were reformed into a Flak unit at the Luftwaffe barracks in Lippstadt.
During Market-Garden, some of its units were rushed to the front lines to provide Flak support to ad hoc Kampfgruppen. They supported Kampfgruppe Herrmann in their attack towards Mook (Nijmegen area), but Arnhem is also mentioned.
A former member wrote a book about the unit, which includes a chapter on Market-Garden (Bij de Vlaamse Luchtafweer, ISBN: 9789059085282).

Best regards,
Edwin

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 23 Jul 2017, 12:14

Thank you Edwin!

ekossen

Post by ekossen » 23 Jul 2017, 21:50

No problem, Scott. When I looked into the German attack on September 20th against Mook, Beek and Groesbeek, I sort of found them by accident. I found an interesting piece of footage of a destroyed 8 Rad armored car in the Beek area from yet another obscure German unit, posted on this forum, which triggered my interest. No replies unfortunately.
I think only four 20mm guns and a single 88mm supported the Mook attack. The little info I could find on this Flemish Flak unit specifically mentions that a unit was sent to Mook/Middelaar and part went to Arnhem. Only the (partly) trained units went to the front. The remainder was left behind in Lippstadt.
I have your book "Retake Arnhem Bridge" BTW, which is great. As is your website. Not sure if you want to add yet another obscure Luftwaffe unit to your very long list :)
All the best from Holland.
Edwin

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”