Spaniards in Waffen-SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Ironmachine

Re: Spaniards in Waffen-SS

Post by Ironmachine » 02 Apr 2017, 09:16

Gromaniac
Gromaniac wrote:You´re right, but we got to understand that was written with the end of war too fresh,
That would depend on the version you read. The first Portuguese edition was published IIRC in 1947, but the first Spanish edition was not published until 1975, and there are significant differences between both versions. And if anything, having the end of the war too fresh would have helped to maintain the accuracy of the tale, and it seems that it's not the case.
Gromaniac wrote:and, "mate" what a day´s that he lived in Germany!
Certainly he lived an "interesting" life, but there are many passages in his book that have no more veracity than a Sven Hassel's novel.

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 07 Mar 2018, 11:13

Here you can find a little info on SS-Ustuf Rudolf "Rudi" Bal MIA in Jan.1945

http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot ... i-bal.html

Best regards
Georg
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 07 Mar 2018, 14:25

Hi Guys,

Did any Spaniards join the Waffen-SS before the Blue Division (formed by the German Army) was repatriated?

Could they have done so?

Did those Spaniards who chose to remain in German service after the withdrawal of the Blue Division have any choice but to join the Waffen-SS?

Cheers,

Sid.

CUATROTRESES

Post by CUATROTRESES » 11 Apr 2024, 12:02

Hello, I know that an SS officer was from the province of Cuenca. His name was GONZALO CARRILLO MARTÍNEZ. Upon returning to Spain, while passing through the city of Zaragoza, some young men who were on the terrace of a bar mocked him and his companions. To which he responded by throwing a hand grenade. He was arrested and tried. He was demoted, since he was a second lieutenant in the Spanish army. Later, he rebuilt his life as a watchmaker in Cuenca. I remember that in his small workshop, he had a photo of Adolf Hitler and a 9mm parabellum as a guardian.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”