Blacks in the Wehrmacht?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
DarExc
Financial supporter

Blacks in the Wehrmacht?

Post by DarExc » 29 Dec 2002 06:17

Iv now see asians, people from all over Europe and North America in the ranks of the German armies but what about black people? I know one of the head guys had African decent in him (Hess I think?). Were there any others? Any very dark people?

Nagelfar

Post by Nagelfar » 29 Dec 2002 06:35

Hess was born in africa. But I dont think he was "african" as having any blood from indigenous peoples

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 29 Dec 2002 16:02

Hess spent his erly years in Egypt I think but was of German parentage and ancestry.

I know that the fighter ace Hans-Joachim Marseille (JG27) had an African batman who apparently sometimes wore an Afrika Korps hat. He had been a member of the B ritish or South African forces and was a Prisoner of War. He is pictured in Fighters over the Desert by Chris Shores.

cheers
Pete

Mr S

Post by Mr S » 29 Dec 2002 16:38

I´m 100% sure I´ve seen photos of blacka/africans in Weremacht-
uniform in a book witch I cant find..sorry...(And I don´t think it was a DAK)
Mr S

Panzerrat

Post by Panzerrat » 02 Jan 2003 17:05

Are you sure it was not a book on German East Africa in WW1?

General Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck, Commander-in-Chief of German Forces in East Africa during World War I is, by military standards, a legendary character. For over four years during World War I he kept a large allied army chasing him, but always succeeded in repulsing attacks and threatening further guerilla action. The action took place over a stretch of East Africa then known as Kenya, Tanganyika and Uganda some 1 200km in length and 500km in breadth. At one time the Germans were operating south of the present Mozambique border. Von Lettow finally surrendered on 25 November 1918, days after the official armistice of 11 November, at Abercorn in present day Zambia. At most, the German forces numbered approximately 3 000 white troops and 11 000 Askari. At the time of the surrender 155 white troops and 1168 Askari laid down their arms and were allowed the honours of war.

see this book: Duel for Kilimanjaro by Leonard Mosley
First published in 1964.....finest book i have ever read!

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 02 Jan 2003 22:34

From the SvenHassel website:

Black Soldiers in the German Army
Possibly the strangest of all Sven Hassel`s strange characters is Stabsgefreiter Albert Mumbuto, the black soldier who appears in the later books. At first this may seem quite absurd but, in a documentary programme shown on British television recently, several German black men were interviewed about their experiences under the Nazi regime and one of these men described how he had been sent call-up papers for the army and, considering himself primarily German, went along to enlist. He was initially turned away because of his "fuzzy hair" (not his skin colour). On his second attempt he was accepted. Sadly there was no photograph shown of him in uniform.
The black population of Germany during the Nazi era stood at around 200,000. They originated from German colonies in Africa and also from liaison between French colonial troops and German women in the occupied Rhineland after WWI. These children were reaching puberty when the Nazis took power and, as with other minorities in Germany, they were subjected to a programme of sterilization.

There were many strange stories in the programme:- a man who went to renew his German passport and was simply told that there were no black Germans so it was impossible to provide him with a new one. He was effectively left with no nationality and took one of the only options left to him by enlisting in the French Foreign Legion. He was then posted to North Africa where he ended up fighting "against his fellow Germans". He now receives a small Legion pension but nothing from his own country.

Others were actors and extras in films; the Nazis made many films in which they were portrayed as benign rulers of African colonies. These actors were quite safe from persecution for the time-being. It seems that there was no fixed policy in the case of black and coloured people under the Nazis. Some families were sent to concentration camps while others were called-up as soldiers or worked as actors.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 02 Jan 2003 22:37

Mr S wrote:I´m 100% sure I´ve seen photos of blacka/africans in Weremacht-
uniform in a book witch I cant find..sorry...(And I don´t think it was a DAK)
Mr S

You answer could be on page 194 of Brian Davis' "German Army Uniforms and Insignia 1933-1945".

Mr S

Post by Mr S » 03 Jan 2003 12:30

No, not in mine from 1998 anyway.(Shows soldiers in gasmaks... :o )

Mr S

Tom Stahler

Blacks in Waffen-SS, not in Wehrmacht

Post by Tom Stahler » 03 Jan 2003 14:52

I think that there was two or three Blacks in the Waffen-SS, in the legion of the "Freien Araber" (Free Arabs). But in the Wehrmacht, I do not think that.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 03 Jan 2003 15:33

Mr S wrote:No, not in mine from 1998 anyway.(Shows soldiers in gasmaks... :o )

Mr S

Mr S,
Mine's the original 1971 edition.Its the photo labelled 347 under the Personal equipment section at the back of the book.I'm refering to the guy in the front ranks,second from the left.

FRENCH_PASCAL

maybe in french LVF

Post by FRENCH_PASCAL » 03 Jan 2003 17:49

I remember a photo of the LVF, with one metis volonteer from a french island.
Not full black but not very far.

Please

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 03 Jan 2003 18:02

How about Osprey Men-at-Arms Series 147

Foreign Vollunteers of the Wehrmacht 1941-45.

Free Arabian Legion 1943.

( the soldier in the pic is really David C. Clarke :D )
Regards,Bill.

Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland » 03 Jan 2003 18:30

oops :oops: no attachment, try again!! Regards,Bill :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David C. Clarke

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 Jan 2003 07:29

( the soldier in the pic is really David C. Clarke

Heh Heh Heh!!!!

Bill, flattery will get you no where.

Happy New Year and Best Regards, David :lol:

Kampfgruppe Peiper
Banned

blacks in the army

Post by Kampfgruppe Peiper » 04 Jan 2003 07:42

my understanding is tha german law forbade non germans from being in the heer. however, they were apparently allowed in the SS and administrative functions. at least till the end, when non aryans were allowed to desecrate the wehrmacht.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”