Latvian military chaplains

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Phil Don

Latvian military chaplains

Post by Phil Don » 03 Feb 2008, 13:32

Hi

Is someone having info on latvian military chaplains
Jūlijs STRAUME (division 15, lutheran)
Verners VOITKUS (division 19, lutheran)
Kazimirs RUČS (roman catholic for the 2 divisions)
I think they were assimilated to officers (surely Stubaf like in other foreign units like walloon, french, ukrainian and imams in bosnian divisions).

Did they were military chaplain into latvian army before the war ?

Regards

Phil D.

Juanjo

Post by Juanjo » 03 Feb 2008, 13:49

Hi Phil

I have the following latvian chaplains
Sturmbannführer Nikolajs Straume
Born 31/12/1911
Chaplain of the 15ª SS Division
Untersturmführer Verners Voitkus
Born 17/05/1911
Chaplain of the 19ª SS Division

Greetings
Juanjo

Phil Don

Re: Latvian military chaplains

Post by Phil Don » 01 Mar 2008, 13:42

Thank you Juanjo

Is someone having more ?

Phil.

VJK

Post by VJK » 01 Mar 2008, 14:17

Hi gents!

This topic was discussed some time ago here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=102985

Straume did not hold the rank of Stubaf. - the last rank I have for him is Waffen-Sturmscharführer.
Voitkus' final rank was Obersturmführer.
I have no information that Prelate RUČS held any military rank.

Best regards,

VJK

Phil Don

Post by Phil Don » 01 Mar 2008, 15:18

Hi VJK

I remember this old topic (I have post an aswer in it). But my question stay without answer:

It was customary in german army to give the rank of major (or in Waffen SS the rank of
sturmbannführer) to military chaplain at the divisional level.

In the french division Charlemagne: Stubaf Jean MAYOL de LUPE
In the walloon division: Stubaf Leon STOCKMAN
In the bosnian 13th division, the divisional imam, Abdulah MUHASILOVIĆ, was stubaf too.
In the ukrainian 14th division: Stubaf Vasil LABA

At the regimental level, the rank given was hauptsturmführer (ex Hstuf Hasan BAJRAKTAREVIĆ
imam of the Waf.Geb.Jäg.Rgt. der SS 27) or obersturmführer.
At the bataillon level, more often obersturmführer or untersturmführer.

So, in the latvian division I suppose the three chaplains were admitted with military rank but why not with the rank of
stubaf ? I have a pic of Kazimirs RUČS in SS uniform but I can't see the collar on it.

Phil.

VJK

Post by VJK » 01 Mar 2008, 16:50

Hi Phil!

I don't know the reasons why the Latvian Legion chaplains were not given the rank of Stubaf., but I do know that they definately did not hold that rank.

Best regards,

VJK

Phil Don

Post by Phil Don » 26 Jun 2012, 17:57

Hi
An old topic but a question:
The first name of STRAUME was Nikolajs or Julijs ?

Regards

Phil D.

Saulkrasti

Post by Saulkrasti » 02 Nov 2013, 19:47

Greetings!

Over the past couple of years I have discussed the military Chaplain issue with several Latvian friends and have been told that each battalion, in both the 15th and 19th Latvian Waffen-SS Grenadier Divisions, had its own Chaplain.

On a more personal note; The grandfather of my girlfriend was a Lutheran minister who served in the 19th Division, so I have another name which can be added to your list of Latvian Legion Chaplains;
Harald KALNINS (1911-1997)

It is my understanding that Pastor KALNINS served until the final surrender of the troops in the Kurland Pocket. After entering Soviet captivity he was sent to the Republic of Georgia, where he worked as a forced laborer for two years before returning to Latvia.

In the coming week I will try to speak with Pastor KALNINS widow, where I hope to learn his rank and the exact dates of birth and death which I will be happy to share with other researchers on this site. Also, I am acquainted with Maris RUČS, who is said to be a nephew of the Catholic Chaplain, Kazimirs RUČS. When I have an opportunity I will try to speak with Dr. RUČS to see what I can learn about the Catholic Chaplains who served with the Legion.

On a related note; this coming March 16th will mark the 70th anniversary of the battle at the Velikaya River, where both the 15th and 19th Divisions were able to hold off massive Soviet attacks. A couple of weeks ago I spoke with Admiral Mezmalis, who is one of the leaders of the Daugavas Vanagi (the Latvian Legion Veterans Association) and was told that they are planning to bring 10 bus loads of veterans to Riga this coming year to commemorate this important date. It is thought that there should be between 500-700 Legion veterans who will be attending the various events. Anyway, I am hoping to interview many of the participants and will use this opportunity to try and learn more regarding the role of Chaplains in the Waffen-SS.

:milwink:

abc123

Post by abc123 » 03 Nov 2013, 04:06

I know of one his last name was Kampe, he was in the 15 WSS, he came to Australia after the was and was the local Lutheran pastor, my father remembers him from the war as he was also in the 15WSS

diak.Walther

Post by diak.Walther » 13 Mar 2017, 16:05

Phil Don wrote: I have a pic of Kazimirs RUČS in SS uniform but I can't see the collar on it.

Phil.
Please, Where is possible to find or see, this picture?
I remember I have seen somewhere in archives a very bad xerocopy of pr. Kazimirs Ručs in uniform with some other friends.
I'm very interested in making research and collecting any information about pr. Ručs.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”