Handschar ...some photos

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
FRANCY RITTER

Handschar ...some photos

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 02 Apr 2008, 14:08

Hello :)
Some photos on Handschar's members , from ebay exp.auction ...
Cheers Francesco :wink:

P.s :The first three only German members .
Last edited by FRANCY RITTER on 04 Apr 2008, 08:22, edited 4 times in total.

FRANCY RITTER

Re: Handschar ...some photos

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 02 Apr 2008, 14:10

other two , from same source.

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 03 Apr 2008, 05:33

Hi Francy Ritter -

I can say that the first photo in your second message is of the late Heinz Gerlach. He died a few years ago.

The photos in the first message do NOT resemble Handschar at all. I would be very surprised if indeed these photographs portrayed the 13th Division.

Best regards,

George

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 03 Apr 2008, 10:03

Hello George !! :D
I have noticed the gaiters that these soldiers wear in the all photos...... equal to those in equipment to the handschar .

George Lepre
Host - Foreign volunteers section

Post by George Lepre » 04 Apr 2008, 01:39

Hi Francy Ritter -

Thanks for your response.

The photo of the three Handschar officers (von Rautenfeld, Schilling, and Launer) you posted was taken on 12 May 1943 in Zagreb during the "solemn induction of the Croatian volunteers into the Waffen SS." The German officers who were present that day did wear these gaiters, but I can't say that I know of any other case in which they were worn. Moreover, they wore fezzes, not steel helmets. The volunteers who paraded there wore either no collar insignia or blank insignia in place of SS runes (only the Germans were permitted to wear runes). I have seen numerous photos of this event and can tell you that the first photo was not taken in Zagreb.

You'll note that the soldiers in the first photo you posted do not wear the "Edelweiss" insigne on their right sleeves or the "Handschar" collar insigne. In the second photo, they do not wear the Croatian sleeve insigne. If this were Handschar, it could only have been taken during the earliest days of the division (1943). The troops appear to be wearing SS runes, which the Bosnians were not allowed to wear, especially in 1943. It should also be noted that the men in the photo look German. I just looked through all of the photos I possess from the division's early days and I can't say that I've seen any that look like it. Did the seller say anything about where he obtained the photo?

I should also note that the photo beneath the Gerlach portrait is definitely Handschar.

Best regards,

George

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 04 Apr 2008, 08:19

George Lepre wrote:Hi Francy Ritter -

Thanks for your response.

The photo of the three Handschar officers (von Rautenfeld, Schilling, and Launer) you posted was taken on 12 May 1943 in Zagreb during the "solemn induction of the Croatian volunteers into the Waffen SS." The German officers who were present that day did wear these gaiters, but I can't say that I know of any other case in which they were worn. Moreover, they wore fezzes, not steel helmets. The volunteers who paraded there wore either no collar insignia or blank insignia in place of SS runes (only the Germans were permitted to wear runes). I have seen numerous photos of this event and can tell you that the first photo was not taken in Zagreb.

You'll note that the soldiers in the first photo you posted do not wear the "Edelweiss" insigne on their right sleeves or the "Handschar" collar insigne. In the second photo, they do not wear the Croatian sleeve insigne. If this were Handschar, it could only have been taken during the earliest days of the division (1943). The troops appear to be wearing SS runes, which the Bosnians were not allowed to wear, especially in 1943. It should also be noted that the men in the photo look German. I just looked through all of the photos I possess from the division's early days and I can't say that I've seen any that look like it. Did the seller say anything about where he obtained the photo?

I should also note that the photo beneath the Gerlach portrait is definitely Handschar.

Best regards,

George

Hello George !! :)
Thank you for your reply and for your conclusion on these photos... :wink:

P.s : Unfortunately nothing news from seller :|

Cheers and ...Handzaru Udaraj!

Francesco
:D
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then let me see your war face!
Private Joker: [nervously] Sir?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You got a war face! AHHHHHHHHHHH! That's a war face, let me see your war face!

Askold

Post by Askold » 08 Apr 2008, 07:29

What exactly shows that these men belong to Handschar? Gaiters could have been worn by other SS gerbs. divisions like Nord.

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 09 Apr 2008, 14:37

Askold wrote:What exactly shows that these men belong to Handschar? Gaiters could have been worn by other SS gerbs. divisions like Nord.
During the formation of the division (the Handschar) it did not have the same gaiters's type, of Nord or other SS-mountain (and Heer unit) .

Below soldier of Prinz Eugen and soldiers of Nord .

bzy16257

Post by bzy16257 » 27 May 2008, 06:07

Handschar ?
some photos purchased recently.

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 27 May 2008, 07:12

French Soldier ??? :?

LMA-17

Post by LMA-17 » 04 Jun 2008, 09:32

Look like Bosnian or Sandzak Moslems militias...

Kernian

Post by Kernian » 06 Jun 2008, 09:36

First and second pictures: Belgian soldiers (together with French POWs) according to me.

clement

Post by clement » 06 Jun 2008, 18:22

I agree with Kernian ,Belgians wearing the "Bonnet de Police " and French guys from the colonial army.
Another pic of Handschar that I appreciate.
Best

clement

Post by clement » 08 Jun 2008, 14:35

Some pics have disapeared from this page ??????

FRANCY RITTER

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 09 Jun 2008, 15:08

clement wrote:Some pics have disapeared from this page ??????
Yesss 8O

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”