french Waffen-SS volunteers western front

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
ben haynes

french Waffen-SS volunteers western front

Post by ben haynes » 01 Dec 2008, 18:54

hello to all in the book cloth insignia of the SS by john angolia page 387 there is a picture of a french ss volunteer with l.v.f type sleeve shield on debriefing french speaking canadian p.o.w's, does anyone know what unit this volunteer belonged to?? i thought that all western volunteers only frought on eastern front. regards to all Ben

Phil Don

Re: french waffen ss volunteers western front

Post by Phil Don » 01 Dec 2008, 23:23

Hi

As I know, this pic show Gérard de BAECKER, former LVF member. He was call as war correspondant with the Hitlerjugend division on western front and used for translate with french speacking canadian prisoners. As unit, no french SS unit serve on western front but some, individually, were present.

Regards

Phil D.

ben haynes

Post by ben haynes » 02 Dec 2008, 10:35

thank you so much phil, that info has really helped. best regards Ben :D

Malbret17

Post by Malbret17 » 02 Dec 2008, 17:53

Hello Phil Don and Ben

You have been faster than me.

Gerald De Baecker have been war correspondant with the LVF from the first day and after with Hitlerjugend on Normandy Front where he was Sonderführer Z. We are not sure these prisonners were french speaking (perhaps). They belonged to 3thDI Canadian North NovaScotia Hightlanders. This photo had been taken probably on june 7th.

French people fought against Américan but not in french unities, often alone in german troops.

Regards.

-Michael

Re: french Waffen-SS volunteers western front

Post by -Michael » 03 Dec 2015, 22:59

I was searching the web for information about Gérald de Baecker and I came across this topic.
I’m doing research on the Kriegsberichterstatter of the Waffen-SS and I was wondering if one of you guys could give me some more biographical information about this Kriegsberichter?
Was Gérald de Baecker related to Louis de Baecker 1814-1896, advocate for the Dutch language in French Flanders? And if so, was Gérald de Baecker also involved with the Flemish movement in French Flanders?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”