British collaboration

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
LeighLancs

British collaboration

Post by LeighLancs » 16 Apr 2002, 15:51

Bought a book this morning called Renegades - Hitler's Englishmen by Adrian Weale and within it there are a number of mentions of other books on the same topic. They're both old and obviously out of print, but I've found a site that's got both of them for sale. I am wondering if anyone can recommend or ward me off them if they're crap. They are

The Meaning Of Treason by Rebecca West
Lord Haw-Haw and William Joyce by J.A. Cole

Any info would be much appreciated or any other advice on good books on this topic.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Apr 2002, 17:40

I can't comment on those two books, but a book on a related topic is "British Fascist Regalia from 1920-1940" by Jamie Cross. I've not bought it yet but I plan to.

btw. I've just begun reading the Weale book and so far it is very good.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Apr 2002, 17:44

"The Meaning Of Treason" by Rebecca West is actually still inprint as a paperback.
This is Dame Rebecca West's classic analysis of World War II treachery and an exploration of the impulse to betray. Beginning with the trials of William Joyce (Lord Haw Haw) and John Amery for treason after the war, the author takes the reader from a London devastated by war on an exploration into the inner world of treachery, describing "the sufferings which overtake people who live unnaturally and cut the bonds which bind them to their own country". The book describes the changing relationship between loyalty and treachery and suggests that a necessary part of our freedom is that "all men should have a drop or two of treason in their veins..."
/Marcus

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”