Serbs in Slovenian national forces

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Serbian heavy cavalry

Serbs in Slovenian national forces

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 10 Nov 2010 17:18

Were there some Serbs in Slovenian national forces during WW2?

Serbian heavy cavalry

Re: Serbs in Slovenian national forces

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 11 Nov 2010 14:09

I have found only this. It is a post from forum member ''Octavianus''I don't know is he still active.
Yes, several Serb officers were caught in the turmoil of war in Slovenia, and one, ironically, even posthumously received the EK II for his service in Slowenisches Landwehr in 1944. Aside this they were quite an interesting group. Oberst Antic, a former Royal Yugoslav army officer in Ljubljana, was the head of the Intelligence Service network in Ljubljana, a former Serbian Gendarme from Cilli (Celje) Bosko Lazic worked for Gestapo and Major Vasiljewitsch officered the Slovene Chetnik detachment at Grcarice in September 1943. General Leon Rupnik's son-in-law, a MVAC officer, got killed in a motorcycle accident in September 1943. He was a Serb too.

Serbian heavy cavalry

Post by Serbian heavy cavalry » 11 Nov 2010 18:56

Major Dusan Menicanin(1904-1944, parents Bosnian Serbs who migrated to Slovenia) was member of Slovenian Landwehr and was awarded with Kriegsverdienstkreuz(24. July 1944), Bandenkampfabzeichen in bronze(25 July) and Iron Cross II class(posthumously). He felt in battle agains partisans on 9. December 1944. and was awarded with EK II on 11.December.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 09 May 2016 18:34

Both of Rupnik's sons-in-law were Serbs and members of Domobranci: Abram and Suvajdžić.

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 10 May 2016 19:54

Evgen, Leon Rupnik's second son, apparently considered himself a Serb and converted to Orthodox Church, his wife was also Serbian.

Serbian officers in Slovensko domobranstvo:
Major Miroljub Stamenković (Lt.Col. in Slovenian National Army)
Major Stevan Radaković
Captain Miloš Šabić (Captain I.Class in Slovenian National Army)
Captain Dejan Suvajdžić
Lower Military Official IV.Class Proko Veić (same rank in Slovenian National Army)
Master Sergeant Miladin Bošković (2nd Lt. in in Slovenian National Army)
Master Sergeant Jovan Krstović (2nd Lt. in in Slovenian National Army)

possible 2 more:
1st Lt. Borislav Trajković (born in Hungary?)
2nd Lt. Ladislav Milatovič (in Slovenian National Army)

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 11 May 2016 19:15

Hi!

Do you perhaps know, what happened with Niko Suvajdžić, Rupnik's grandson (the boy in DMB uniform)?

Regards,
Klemen

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 11 May 2016 20:07

The family moved to Argentina. He became a doctor and died in 2004. That's about it.

Another Serbian tid bit. In 1944 a so-called Uskoki platoon (about 40 Serbs from Žumberak/Croatia) was formed within Slovensko domobranstvo in Novo mesto and was stationed in Št.Jernej under the command of podnarednik Janko Brzović.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 12 May 2016 06:04

Interesting about Uskoki. Never knew that.

For more about Uskoks.

plemenito

Post by plemenito » 10 Jul 2017 06:26

Dobrivoje Vasiljević, from Surovici Serbia, was the 1st battalion captain in Legija Smrti (Legion of Death) part of the Italian backed MVAC. Looks like he joined up in May 1942 and died November 1942.

max.spencer

Post by max.spencer » 03 Oct 2021 09:49

Mark V. wrote:
10 May 2016 19:54
Evgen, Leon Rupnik's second son, apparently considered himself a Serb and converted to Orthodox Church, his wife was also Serbian.

Serbian officers in Slovensko domobranstvo:
Major Miroljub Stamenković (Lt.Col. in Slovenian National Army)
Major Stevan Radaković
Captain Miloš Šabić (Captain I.Class in Slovenian National Army)
Captain Dejan Suvajdžić
Lower Military Official IV.Class Proko Veić (same rank in Slovenian National Army)
Master Sergeant Miladin Bošković (2nd Lt. in in Slovenian National Army)
Master Sergeant Jovan Krstović (2nd Lt. in in Slovenian National Army)

possible 2 more:
1st Lt. Borislav Trajković (born in Hungary?)
2nd Lt. Ladislav Milatovič (in Slovenian National Army)

Does anyone know more about this 1st Lt Borislav Trajkovic, or have a photo of him? That would be of great help. I am trying to find out what happened to him. He disappeared after the war, in Slovenia. He was 30 years old. He must have been murdered. I do have his last address, but that place doesn't exist anymore. That was a long time ago, so whoever might have known him are all dead. I am just trying to figure out what happened to him. Thank you

gloriavictis

Post by gloriavictis » 02 Nov 2021 04:26

About Borislav Trajković maybe this could help:

Borislav (Siljan - his father's name) Trajković, born in 1916, Serb, died of Italians 1945 as a captured member of the VKJ, Italy-camp (0591002032)

Source:

Museum of Genocide Victims https://www.2.muzejgenocida.rs/sr/

List of victims of the war from April 6, 1941 to May 15, 1945, published from November 1964 to April 1965

Book No. 8 Vojvodina - municipality Sremska Mitrovica, page 468 http://www.muzejgenocida.rs/images/ZrtvePub/Voj.pdf

Just to remind you, Sremska Mitrovica was in 1916 part of the Habsburg Military Frontier. When in 1918 the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy collapsed this region first became a part of the newly formed State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs, later Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

max.spencer

Post by max.spencer » 02 Nov 2021 10:29

That helps a lot. I couldn't find that, and I looked ... a lot. He was born in Nezider, the camp in Hungary. I know a lot about his life, but the death was the mystery. I was trying to figure out how he died. This helped a lot. Thank you so much.

gloriavictis

Post by gloriavictis » 02 Nov 2021 23:38

max.spencer wrote:
02 Nov 2021 10:29
That helps a lot. I couldn't find that, and I looked ... a lot. He was born in Nezider, the camp in Hungary. I know a lot about his life, but the death was the mystery. I was trying to figure out how he died. This helped a lot. Thank you so much.
... it was the least I could do.

max.spencer

Post by max.spencer » 02 Nov 2021 23:48

Thank you. Nevertheless, plenty of things remain a mystery. Still, I am grateful to you for your effort!

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”