Eastern volunteers and their religion

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Arto O

Re: Eastern volunteers and their religion

Post by Arto O » 04 Feb 2012, 21:27

Thanks Jack,
for your interesting information, especially that somebody was invited to lead the praying. I cannot find the original topic now, but if I remember well, there were no conclusion where the photo was taken, neither who is the leading prayer, and if he is wearing SS runes in his collar patch. For me yes.
I send you an e mail, taken from the other topic. I will try to a photo of the whole map.

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 04 Feb 2012, 22:03

Some more of Handschar division. Is there anything special happening on the second photo?
Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1977-137-20,_Bosnische_SS-Freiwillige_beim_Gebet.jpg
handschar_imam_shalat.jpg
handschar_magazine_cover_shalat.jpg
Source: Bundesarchiv and my CD (the original source could be the one the third photo).
Cheers
Arto

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 07 Feb 2012, 22:30

Ukrainian Flak helpers at a religious service in Germany
Source: David Littlejohn, Foreign Legions of the Third Reich (vol. 4)
UKR1.jpg

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 08 Feb 2012, 06:20

Hi,
Is there any photos of religious practices of Indian volunteers?
Thanks in advance.
Arto

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 11 Feb 2012, 07:07

Dear Forum members, give me a hand. I need your participation in this topic. Thanks.
Here a very interesting photo, I suppose. The original text says: "A muslim and a christian next to each others against bolchevism. Together with soldiers go their priest to the war. A muslim priest follows bosnians. Despite of their religion the bosnians are generally full blooded croats."
On the chest of the man at left, we can observe the cross. But the man next to him? Can you give more information here, who are they, and what unit, where?
Thanks
Arto
CROAT.jpg

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 Feb 2012, 15:11

They are obviously a christian (catholic) and a muslim priest, as the text says...

Cheers,
Ivan

Askold

Post by Askold » 14 Feb 2012, 19:01

Great photos Arto, thank you for sharing!

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 17 Feb 2012, 23:36

Leaders:
Mullahs of Turkistani legion. Source AHF.
TUR.jpg
Iman SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Husein Dzozo from Handschar division. Source panzergrenadiernet.
TUR2.jpg

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 19 Feb 2012, 14:16

Hello!
Here is a similar thread with more pictures: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=86094

B

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 24 Feb 2012, 20:53

Hi,
Yes, Bjorn, that is the photo I have used before in this topic. One of the most interesting , I have seen in question of eastern volunteer. It is a pity that we don´t know where and who are in the picture. Thanks for sending it.

As I wrote some time ago, to keep this topic living, lets include any religious practices of any foreign volunteers. Here a priest of french volunteers: Count Comte de Mayol de Lupe. The information is from the text of the Signal magazine.
- At a age of 41 he became a field chaplain, participated in WWI, captured by germans, but managed to escape and returned to the front on 1918.
- On 1941he became a field chaplain of french volunteers (LVF?) and at age of 70, he has been wounded twice. His most beloved decorations (16 in total) are the French Honour Legion (1938) and German Knight´s Cross.
PRIEST.jpg
PRIEST.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 1267 times

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 04 Mar 2012, 07:55

The funerals of Jasques Doriot with French Catholic priest.Source AHF.
doriot.JPG
doriot.JPG (86.9 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
Another view of members of Handschar division praying.One important question for our dear muslim forum members: prayers wear of course no shoes, but also they have quit of their belts. Is this something practical because they need to lean forward or is there some other reason?
I wonder if the leading prayer has holes in his socks? :D
molitva23np.jpg
When you respect him, his habbits and his religion. He will respect you.
With best regards
Arto

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 04 Mar 2012, 08:14

The whole map, which started this topic. Hopefully this is not the last post!!!!!!!
MAP.jpg

Arto O

Post by Arto O » 12 Mar 2012, 02:26

Another view of the funerals of Ostuf. and iman of the "Handschar" division Sulejman Alinajstrovic. Source "Der Freiwillige" November 79:
HANDSCHAR1.jpg
On 14th of December Rob-wssob2 wrote:
"Just curious - what about the volunteers/conscripts that were agnostic or atheist? Any photos of them?
About foreign volunteers, quite diffucult I think. But about Allgemeine-SS yes. SS baptism.
lebensborn-master-race-nazi-experiments-012.jpg
lebensborn-master-race-nazi-experiments-011.jpg

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 12 Mar 2012, 02:43

Arto O wrote:Hi everybody

Like "lets build...", I would like to make a list of all ethnic groups of eastern volunteers, their religion and if they ever practise mass in the field. Now, some forum members might not agree who are "eastern" volunteers, for example baltic people, ukranians etc, but I went to german way of thinking who were consired as easterns (of course the volunteers from India are not there). I surely have a lot of mistakes in my spelling, please correct me (some names are in german). I have to following:

Russian orthodox:
Georgians
Mari
White russians
Mordovia
Chuvashes
Udmurts
Russians (moskovits)
Cossacks

Creek catholics:
Ukranians, galizien

Christians in general (exactly what??):
Estonians
Lithuanians
Latvians
Armenians

Buddist:
Kalmucks
Indo china

Muslims:
Abchasians Adigs
Ascherbaidschans Cirkassians
Balkers Karatschians
Wolga tatars Kazahkstans
Kyrgystans Nogais
Tartastan Kasacks
Wolgafinnen Chechens
North Osset Dagestan
Ingushes Kabardians
Krim tatars Turkestan
Uzbekistans Tadshiks
Bashkirs Karapalkaks
Lezghins

Jews (not the correct term):
Karaites (from the Krim peninsula)
Confucius:
Koreans (just one case, I think, the guy found my allies in the atlantic wall)

Hindus:
Indians

Sikhs:
Indians

The only groups that I have seen pictures celebrating religious masses are: whiterussians, cossacks, ukranians, galizien. Of course there is the photograps sent by Askold some years ago, a group of muslim osttruppen praying. But as far as know nobody finally was not able to determine who they were. The key to this lays in the headgear worn by the mullah, which I have tried to find without a result.
There are a mentions in the forum about afganistan volunteers in some occacions (the last one "how many arabs muslims..."), were they really afganistans or tadshiks (people related to afganistans, but lived inside the ex soviet union)?

Any comment is very welcome, especially if you any photographs about the religious masses.

Cheers

Arto
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Karaites are Jews who accept the Torah ( five books) but not the Rabinical commentaries- having thier own.
They convinced Himmler that they were the 'racial Khazars', therefore not racial Jews. Tehy were placed in Labor, not combat positions.
Welcome to ReichlommarsariatUkraine- not only crazier than one imagined, but crazier than one can imagine.... :)

waldzee
Banned

Post by waldzee » 12 Mar 2012, 03:03

Arto O wrote:Hi,
Is there any photos of religious practices of Indian volunteers?
Thanks in advance.
Arto
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Ersatz Shinto? ( Japanese POW's were required to pay respects to the Shinto shrine, then worship whatever they wanted...)

the Karaites , BTW, pulled off one of the great deceptions of world war two by 'converting' as many 'real; Jews' as possible in the Crimean while convincing Himmler how much they dispised their Jewish neighbours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_Karaites
Koch , naturally, just wanted to gas them all. It was a real act of heroism.
Paul Tilich holds them up as 'moral exemplars', in his post 1945 mission to the German Lutherans.
Last edited by waldzee on 12 Mar 2012, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”