Czech citizen forced to join German army

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
cgd1947

Czech citizen forced to join German army

Post by cgd1947 » 13 Feb 2015, 15:48

I recently learned that I have an uncle who reportedly disappeared while on a secret mission during WWII. He was born in Svedlar, Czechoslavakia, but was forced to join the German army. (I have a picture of him in a German uniform.) I think he fled with his mother and sister to a displaced persons (DP) camp in Germany. (Still trying to learn the name of the camp.) They later immigrated to the United States, without knowing his whereabouts, and to this day we do not know if he is dead or alive. His sister (my mother) has dementia and resides in a care center. I started this search hoping to give her closure about her brother.

Does anyone know if there is a registry of soldiers used for German intelligence operations/espionage? I am a new member of this forum.

history1
Banned

Re: Czech citizen forced to join German army

Post by history1 » 14 Feb 2015, 12:09

Hi cgd1947,

please feel free to post something about you in the "Indroduce yourself"-threat as it is requested in many forums (here its´not though it´s appreciated): http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5378

1. Švedlár is a village in Slovakia, what was auxillary of Hitler and the Germans.
2. Based on that fact there was no need to force someone into the German Army, even less when this man was maybe an ethnic German (Volksdeutscher).
3. A picture of a person in a German uniform does not compulsory mean that someone was forced to join the German Army.
4. Most of the Germans living in this village were expelled after WWII but in 2014 still 3.17% of the inhabitants did speak German.
5. Please contact WASt, to get possible informations about your uncle. Be aware that this might take up to a year until you might get an response and that you have to pay a fee for that. Here´s their website:
https://www.dd-wast.de/en/tracing-reque ... earch.html
6. You might also consider to tell us something more about this man, it´s hard to help when tracing an unknown.

Regards,
Roman

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”