Last photos before the mutiny...(1943/09/17)

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.

BarKokhba

Re: Last photos before the mutiny...(1943/09/17)

Post by BarKokhba » 11 Mar 2017, 04:49

Sorry guys, but I'm not familiar with this mutiny event. Can someone please post a synopsis of the participants and exactly what happened, and its aftermath. Thanks to all.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 Mar 2017, 11:09

If you type the words "Villefranche" and "mutiny" into the forum search box, or the Google, you will find many results. Described in detail in (for example): "Himmler's Bosnian Division", G. Lepre.

Cheers,
Ivan

Konrad B.

Post by Konrad B. » 13 Mar 2017, 23:40

Bonsoir Nicolas,

I'll just share here what my Granduncle who spent some time "studying" the Handschar as Ethnologist of the Ahnenerbe and often attached to Kriegsberichter Units what he wrote in his diaries about the incident which happened after he spent some time with the Handschar, including the unit involved in this:

"Christian and Me have been skeptical of the rather quick put-together of these volunteers, as the communist "Bandenführer" could have easily sent "pretenders" into it's ranks. So hearing the news out of France where a Handschar Pionier Battalion succesfully took over a whole town for a day and having killed some fine men didn't surprise us at all. Untersturmführer Schweiger who i've met after the incident was apparently part of taking the town back and he agreed with me on the idiocy of sending these units to our allies terrain because of what happened. He said that those units suspect of having "Unterwanderer" (english meaning: infiltator) among them are not vetted enough nor can they be vetted enough to send to Vichy France, Germany or other friends. Also Ferid Dzanic, i have been told had ties to the communists in his country, unbelievable that they were granted to have their Ausbildung in France. Luckily the situation has been resolved and i've been told all 163 involved in this terrorist act have been dealt with accordingly. They even let Matutinovic who everybody knows is a Communist be part of them. Unbelievable!"

There is more he has written about it as well as documents, but it's over 50.000 pages of his day to day diaries, so here is just the first time he mentioned it. If you have any specific questions concerning this or need documents (i inherited these too) concerning this croatian unit before they were sent to France, let me know and i will find relevant parts.

Cordialement,
Konrad
Last edited by Konrad B. on 13 Mar 2017, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas CAM

Post by Nicolas CAM » 16 Mar 2017, 21:57

Hello Konrad,

First i'm more than sorry to reply just now, the lasts days was f*** busy ! :)

Yep it is definitly interesting to have acces to this kind of rare archives, because personnal archive and personnal story give always another "dimension" about a story.

I'm actually making a lot of research about this event and it would be interresting to have a copy of the describe of the mutiny event that you have, but by the way you are sending it somewhere in france ?

An archive center ?

Thank you very much for your material anyway !

To reply about the Dzaniç recruiting, Dzaniç was Domobrans before integrated the partisans, he was captured by the Nazi during a mission, (it was surely a false capture as the mens who was with him didn't saw him disapear or get captured during a fight...). The Garman send him in prison, but suddently he was integrated as Sturmbanführer in the unit in formation in Dresde, but between thoses 2 moments, some Domobrans mysteriously been killed by German, (about ten) some of them was in contact with Dzaniç before he goes to Partisans. The thing is maybe Dzaniç played a role of "Secret Service Information" in front of the Nazis, to prove he was reliable, and ready to fight for them... Some Domobrans have paid the price of the intégration of Dzaniç inside the 13 Div. Handzar, with their life.
Also ! Something funny to show how Dzaniç was a really good story teller : Dzaniç was decribed as a "little man", and Nazis was so convinced that he was one of them that they made a special uniform, at his size, just for him, and more than it, a graded one ! so i think that Nazis litrally jumped in the trap ! :D
The book of Mirko Grmeck and Louise Lambrichs is really good to describe this history (La Révolte des Croates - Seuil)

About your documents, let me know what you want to do with thoses "archives", or send me an PM.

All the best !

Barkokhba : Ivan is reason, the book of George Lepre is really interresting ! if you understand Deutsch, the one of Zvonimir Bernwald (Muslime in der Waffen-SS) is really good too, and if you understand French i invite you to read "La révolte des Croates" by M.Grmeck and L.Lambrichs.

Best regards ! :)

Nicolas

Albert Ahnen

Post by Albert Ahnen » 09 Mar 2020, 18:16

Hello Konrad B. I am preparing, since several years, a book on Ahnenerbe in Spain. And the Diary of your Granduncle it seems very interesting on this matter. It is possible to consult it? Thanks. Albert Ahnen

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”