Slowakische Grenadier Regiment Nr.1 "Hlinka Garde"

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Dany7919

Slowakische Grenadier Regiment Nr.1 "Hlinka Garde"

Post by Dany7919 » 11 Feb 2017, 21:00

Hello, I would like to ask if someone has any information about this Slovak regiment, I know that it was formed in Benesov, and it was send to fight against Prague uprising as part of KG Wallenstein, but there are some differences in sources, most claim that they ignored the order and tried to reach US line, while some say that they actually fought there. These claims are supported by memories of several citizens of Prague, who remember Slovak speaking SS soldiers. Does anyone have more info on this? Thanks for the answers in advace.
PS: Sorry for grammar mistakes if there are any, English is not my first launguage

KACKO

Re: Slowakische Grenadier Regiment Nr.1 "Hlinka Garde"

Post by KACKO » 03 Mar 2017, 18:46

Dany7919 wrote:Hello, I would like to ask if someone has any information about this Slovak regiment, I know that it was formed in Benesov, and it was send to fight against Prague uprising as part of KG Wallenstein, but there are some differences in sources, most claim that they ignored the order and tried to reach US line, while some say that they actually fought there. These claims are supported by memories of several citizens of Prague, who remember Slovak speaking SS soldiers. Does anyone have more info on this? Thanks for the answers in advace.
PS: Sorry for grammar mistakes if there are any, English is not my first launguage
Nazdar,

you should look out Anton Hrubon work "For SLovak state, for New Europe - Hlinka Guard during German occupation" (Za Slovensky stat, za Novu Europu. Hlinkova Garda v odbdobi nemeckej okupacie).
It is good researched and I guess what is possible to find he found. He is mentioning on pages 162-163 Regiment actually get order to go to Prague from Germans but actually retreated towards US. Interestingly part of soldiers were incorporated by Allies into Czechoslovak army and as I. Slovak battalion used in mock up operations against retreating and hiding Germans.
Ton Hrubon is also describing POHG during Uprising.

Dany7919

Post by Dany7919 » 03 Mar 2017, 20:11

KACKO wrote:
Dany7919 wrote:Hello, I would like to ask if someone has any information about this Slovak regiment, I know that it was formed in Benesov, and it was send to fight against Prague uprising as part of KG Wallenstein, but there are some differences in sources, most claim that they ignored the order and tried to reach US line, while some say that they actually fought there. These claims are supported by memories of several citizens of Prague, who remember Slovak speaking SS soldiers. Does anyone have more info on this? Thanks for the answers in advace.
Nazdar,

you should look out Anton Hrubon work "For SLovak state, for New Europe - Hlinka Guard during German occupation" (Za Slovensky stat, za Novu Europu. Hlinkova Garda v odbdobi nemeckej okupacie).
It is good researched and I guess what is possible to find he found. He is mentioning on pages 162-163 Regiment actually get order to go to Prague from Germans but actually retreated towards US. Interestingly part of soldiers were incorporated by Allies into Czechoslovak army and as I. Slovak battalion used in mock up operations against retreating and hiding Germans.
Ton Hrubon is also describing POHG during Uprising.
Zdravím,
yeah I agree that Hruboňs work is propably the best source for the topic of Hlinka Guard during German occupation, well researched and I also think that it is the most possible variant. I've done some more research on the topic, and found out that most of the sources claiming that they were fighting in Prague were based on the fact that the regiment has left the area with KG Wallenstein and only after they left, they went to US zone.
Thanks for your reply :)
All the best
Daniel

KACKO

Post by KACKO » 03 Mar 2017, 20:28

Dany7919 wrote: Zdravím,
yeah I agree that Hruboňs work is propably the best source for the topic of Hlinka Guard during German occupation, well researched and I also think that it is the most possible variant. I've done some more research on the topic, and found out that most of the sources claiming that they were fighting in Prague were based on the fact that the regiment has left the area with KG Wallenstein and only after they left, they went to US zone.
All the best
Daniel
I believe we were discussing this topic some 10 years ago on old http://www.druhasvetova.sk forum when Tono was just about to start his history studies in Banska Bystrica. There were few guys interested in this.
I believe Hrubon also mention Slowakische Regiment in his work "Hlinkova garda na území Pohronskej župy, Organizácia a aktivity 1938-1945" but it could be repeat of what was written on previous book or vice versa.
Other interesting topic was Slovaks in Royal Hungarian army. Even less researched till today. I guess language barrier is to much. At the time there was even less known. He did some nice advance since then.

All the best.

Dany7919

Post by Dany7919 » 03 Mar 2017, 21:39

KACKO wrote:
Dany7919 wrote: Zdravím,
All the best
Daniel
I believe we were discussing this topic some 10 years ago on old http://www.druhasvetova.sk forum when Tono was just about to start his history studies in Banska Bystrica. There were few guys interested in this.
I believe Hrubon also mention Slowakische Regiment in his work "Hlinkova garda na území Pohronskej župy, Organizácia a aktivity 1938-1945" but it could be repeat of what was written on previous book or vice versa.
Other interesting topic was Slovaks in Royal Hungarian army. Even less researched till today. I guess language barrier is to much. At the time there was even less known. He did some nice advance since then.

All the best.
Yes, Slovaks in Hungarian army are really interesting topic. But I don't know about any good publications in Slovak, maybe there is something written in Hungarian but unfortunately I don't speak it.
Anyway, thanks for the tip on the other book, I'll try to get it :)
All the best
Daniel

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”