Any information on the identity of the Ost-Bataillon commanded by Théodore Schöpplein in August 1944?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Sid Guttridge

Any information on the identity of the Ost-Bataillon commanded by Théodore Schöpplein in August 1944?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 13 Jul 2017, 13:36

I am trying to find out which Ost-Bataillon was commanded by Théodore Schöpplein in August 1944. He may have been a Major at the time.

Many thanks for any assistance,

Sid.

Loïc

Re: Any information on the identity of the Ost-Bataillon commanded by Théodore Schöpplein in August 1944?

Post by Loïc » 13 Jul 2017, 14:11

As I have written in the previous thread about Ariège for me it is
Turkestanische Feld Bataillon I/370 becoming one battalion of Freiwilligen Stamm Regiment 1 of the Freiwilligen Stamm Division raised early 1944

Regards
Loïc

Sid Guttridge

Re: Any information on the identity of the Ost-Bataillon commanded by Théodore Schöpplein in August 1944?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 14 Jul 2017, 17:07

Hi Loic,

Thanks.

I have found a reference to Schöpplein surrendering an Ost-Bataillon in Ariege on 22 August 1944. I was trying to find out if this is the same unit from a different direction.

Cheers,

Sid.

clement

Post by clement » 15 Jul 2017, 08:34

More precisely, this first battalion of five companies arrived at Saint-Gaudens on 29 June 1944. Several of its elements were then distributed in the region. Especially in Saint-Marcet and Boussens where they took care of the oil factory that the Germans exploited. They also participated in operations against the Maquis, including that of Arbas.
On August 19, 1944, the battalion commanded by Major Schöpplein, left Saint-Gaudens, took the elements at Boussens, and on August 20 he took the road to Saint-Girons and Foix.
Their objective was to join the garrison of Foix and then head for Carcassonne, Narbonne and the Rhone valley.

But on 21 August, intercepted by the maquisards, the 1st battalion entered Rimont (Ariège). Many inhabitants were killed and the village burned down.
Early on the morning of August 22, the battle resumed in Castelnau-Durban while the guerrillas received important reinforcements. The "Germans" suffered heavy losses during the journey between Castelnau and Ségalas.

The unconditional surrender was signed around 7:30 pm, in the presence of Major Bigeard, who led the negotiation.

"The negotiations began under the bridge of the Ségalas railway. There were the leaders of the guerrillas, "Royo" and "Robert"; The FTP managers Gos, Pérez ("Oscar") and Calvetti, then Bigeard and Probert. Lieutenant-Colonel Souyris, "Aubert", head of the FFI, left the front, called by the provisional prefect Prosper. It is, in fact, Commander Calvetti who heads the FFI, from Maury or Durban.
He attended the first negotiations, then left his place to Lieutenant Pérez, "Oscar".
General Bigeard, in his memoirs, accuses Calvetti of having deserted and taken to task at Foix, on the 23rd or 24th of August. He confused Calvetti and Souyris. The latter entrusted the direction of the FFI of the battle to Calvetti. However, Souyris left to settle urgent matters, particularly at Saint-Girons. There was no desertion.
The German capitulation was signed at Ségalas, at the intersection of roads on the one hand at Castelnau and on the other at Durban in the house of Rémi Soula.
It was there that Major Theodore Schöpplein, leader of the 1st Battalion of the Turkestan Legion; Lieutenant Bénito Pérez, "Oscar" (a Frenchman from Bordeaux), representing the FFI, and Commander Marcel Bigeard, "Aube", military delegate for Ariège, signed the capitulation document on a modest kitchen table.
Thus, at 1930 (French time) or 21.02 (German time), on 22 August 1944, in Ségalas, Durban, the Second World War ended in Ariège.
In the evening, the prisoners were enumerated: 1,542 German and Turkish soldiers. Other soldiers were arrested in the following days. In the column are all members of the Gestapo (non-military).
At about two o'clock, a long column of trucks loaded with prisoners entered Foix, black with people, in the midst of a crowded crowd. It is the night of victory. "
Source Archives de la Resistance en Ariège

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 15 Jul 2017, 13:18

Hi Clement,

That seems to be what I found in French. However, it doesn't specifically mention the number of Schopplein's battalion.

It was this link I was trying to establish with Loic's Turkestanische Feld Bataillon I/370.

I presume they are one and the same unit, but it would be nice to have specific confirmation.

Many thanks,

Sid,

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 27 Jul 2017, 16:15

Hi Loic,

I found this previous post of yours from 2008: /viewtopic.php?t=136741

It says, "Turkestanische Bataillon I/370 (Albi) Major Theodor Shöpplein surrender in august 1944".

Many thanks,

Sid

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”