Augusts Zīle

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Alksnis

Augusts Zīle

Post by Alksnis » 11 Apr 2018, 09:27

Hi, maybe someone have access or knowledge to get more information - I'm trying to get any information about my grandmothers brother Augusts Zīle (born in 1912, Tukums), so far i just know that he was in 2nd Waffen-Grenadier-Regiment of the Waffen-SS lettisches Feldersatz-Depot in Thorn (in Latvian we called them - būvpulki), I' also know that after Thorn he got to Putlos POW camp, Zedelghem POW camp and also Hallendorf DP camp. Is there any options to get out any details more than this..?

Filips,

VJK

Re: Augusts Zīle

Post by VJK » 11 Apr 2018, 15:13

Hi!

Welcome to the Forum. :welcome:
I would suggest contacting the War Museum in Riga, they hold the Latvian Legion archives (those that survived), perhaps they may be able to provide some info.

Best regards,

VJK

Alksnis

Post by Alksnis » 11 Apr 2018, 17:20

Its strange but in War museum legion archives and in "Daugavas vanagi" list his name was not found, when i tried my luck and asked to look on Zedelghem pow list he was there.. but I'm still trying to find litlle bit more about his service in/before/after Thorn.

Alksnis

Post by Alksnis » 11 Apr 2018, 17:20

And thank you for welcoming :)

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”