SS "Handschar" Division Rare Pictures (Need Information)

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
balkanguy44

SS "Handschar" Division Rare Pictures (Need Information)

Post by balkanguy44 » 26 Aug 2018, 10:49

Hello community,
I have found some rare pictures without caption. Does anybody knows something about them? If yes, please let me know.
Attachments
image 1.jpg
Source: reibert.info| Two Handschar men with civilians any idea to which group (national group) they belong? The one in the middle has a Wehrmacht cap.
image 1.jpg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
image.jpg
Source: reibert.info| Here we see a Schwimmwagen with two men of the division in an unknown town, maybe Brcko?
image.jpg
Source: reibert.info| A man tries his new uniform. Looks like one who joined the division in summer 1944? Or even Kama?
Cheers,
BG44

Mujo

Re: SS "Handschar" Division Rare Pictures (Need Information)

Post by Mujo » 29 Oct 2018, 00:44

Those are all fairly good guesses. One good way of dating the images is actually looking at the clothing and since 95% of the photos were taken in 1944, Id say the first shows a scene from Feb.'44 during the movement from Neuhammer to N. Croatia. The civilians could therefore be Croats or ethnic Germans from that region.
I think you're correct on the photo of the civilian. Judging from the pile of uniform items on the ground Id say he's at a supply depot. The pea-dot trousers were issued in greater numbers to members of the Kama division. The men from Handschar are usually seen in the M43 uniforms they received in France or Neuhammer.

balkanguy44

Post by balkanguy44 » 29 Oct 2018, 08:20

Mujo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 00:44
Those are all fairly good guesses. One good way of dating the images is actually looking at the clothing and since 95% of the photos were taken in 1944, Id say the first shows a scene from Feb.'44 during the movement from Neuhammer to N. Croatia. The civilians could therefore be Croats or ethnic Germans from that region.
I think you're correct on the photo of the civilian. Judging from the pile of uniform items on the ground Id say he's at a supply depot. The pea-dot trousers were issued in greater numbers to members of the Kama division. The men from Handschar are usually seen in the M43 uniforms they received in France or Neuhammer.
Hello Mujo,

First of all, thanks for your response!
I also think that the first one was taken in Feb'44.
What do you think about the second photo? Is it Brcko?
Cheers,
BG44

Mujo

Post by Mujo » 29 Oct 2018, 22:07

balkanguy44 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 08:20

Hello Mujo,

You're welcome.
If I was to make a bet Id say that picture was taken after Unternehmen Sava because when they initially came over the river they were dressed for combat (in camouflage smocks). And those two are neither dressed for combat or too concerned about security.
It could be either Brcko or Bijeljina but the angle of the picture doesnt show the easily identifiable buildings that we see in the March photos.
-Mujo

balkanguy44

Post by balkanguy44 » 29 Oct 2018, 23:57

Mujo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 22:07
balkanguy44 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 08:20

Hello Mujo,

You're welcome.
If I was to make a bet Id say that picture was taken after Unternehmen Sava because when they initially came over the river they were dressed for combat (in camouflage smocks). And those two are neither dressed for combat or too concerned about security.
It could be either Brcko or Bijeljina but the angle of the picture doesnt show the easily identifiable buildings that we see in the March photos.
-Mujo
Hello Mujo,

I think they are a bit "higher" ranked officers, maybe they both were used for simple security work in Bijeljina after Unternehmen Sava or left in Brcko for security work. I think both is possible.
It's impossible for me to identify the buildings in the background.
Cheers,
BG44

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”