Missing document on Galician division

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Melnyk

Missing document on Galician division

Post by Melnyk » 24 Dec 2018, 11:58

Hi

I am seeking a copy of a document that despite my robust efforts, has thus far eluded me for a long time. I am searching for a document which was referred to in an outstanding book by Alexander Dallin -German Rule in Russia. It is a letter written by Eric Koch dated 16 September 1943. opposing the creation of the Galician Division.
The reference Dallin gives is NO -3469* according to his notes on sources this document was taken from those prepared for the Trial of Major War Criminals at Nurnberg. the breakdown of the reference is "NO = Nazi Organisation, 3469 = document number - * = unpublished.
The problem is that there were tens of thousands of documents collected for the Nurnberg Trials and that they are held in a number of institutions and worse still when I contacted the national archives in the USA the only document they could find with this reference was a single page cover sheet of no interest or value at all.

I have a covering letter from Berger to Himmler dated 10 December 1943 (Bundesarchiv reference NS 19/2191, folder 1) which refers to that letter as an enclosure - but unfortunately the enclosure is absent.

In the unlikely event that anyone has a copy of this document I would gladly pay for it, or perhaps just know exactly where I can get a copy and what reference I should use I would be most grateful if they would contact me.

best wishes

Mike Melnyk

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”