7. SS-Division "Prinz Eugen" - help needed

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Old Bear

7. SS-Division "Prinz Eugen" - help needed

Post by Old Bear » 19 Jan 2019 11:14

Hi Guys,
at first, I'm new here, so if this thopic don't fit here, I kindly ask Admin to move it to propper board.
Also, I appologize for my bad English 😊

So, I'm doing a research on one great storry about my Grandfather, and need lot of help from experts ( and reading this forum, I must admit there's a lot of them here).
So, first the storry ( short version) :
In WW I , my Grandfather fight in k.k. LIR 37, In Serbia and on Isonzo bridgehead.
In one occasion, he saved the life on his Oberleutnant, and as a gratitude, Oberleutnant orderd from Wien a Omega pocket watch, and gave it to my grandfather, with inscription – ''To brave Feldwebel....., his grateful Oberleutnant...., Christmas, 1914.''
My Grandfather later lost his arm on Isonzo bridgehead in 1915, went to hospital in Hungary, return home, get married...and life goes on.
He lived in Metković, Croatia.
In WW II, after Italian capitulation,1943, in Metkovic come Germans.
On one ocasion ( by storry telling by my mother) there was a funneral for one German officer. During that, air raid allarm was turn on, and everybody runs off.
Since my Grandfather lives near church, he often helped to priest in church. When allarm was set, the priest told my Grandfather to run, and that he ( priest) will turn the candles off. Offcourse, he didn't. He was running to save a life too.
Right next day, my Grandfather was accused for collaboration with partisans by leaving the candles on as signals for partisans. The pennalties was, offcourse, firing squad.
When they got him in prison, he must leave all his belongings, and among them was a watch. A german officer took the watch, open it and read inscripton.
He ask my Grandfather what's this about, and on perfect german my grandfather explain him the storry.
The officer close the wach, look at one handed man, and gave him watch back, and said – Her Feldwebel, You can go. Life for life.

Well, I managed to trace down the Oberleutnant, despite fact that I only have a Forename.
The great gquestion was – who's the german officer that leave my Grandfather free??

So, as far, I find follws:
The germas that entered Metković were 7.th SS Prinz Eugen, August ’43.
As my mother told me , first one was officer in motorcicle with side car – I've find the name – Schmidhubber – rank, name, unit ??
Few days later, they leave the Metković, ( for additional anty partisan campaign in Dalmatia) leaving in town as follows:
80 man from Pionier Battalion
20 man from Feldgendarmerie
One antiaircraft gun( unit ? ) placed on the hill above the town.
In the book I have, there is a mention of german officer's funneral on December 6.th, 1943.
Here on forum I've find That Untschf. Heinrich Bockel was killed November ,6th, and burried November 8th.
Could it be the same man ?
I've tried to search about allied air raids on Metković on 6th and 8th November and December, but couldn't find any – problem is that Metković was often second target, target of oppertunity, or just a place to drop the rest of the bombs on way kome.
In book of Prinz Eugen, on Order to battle in Dalmatia, is said that the Pionier Batallion was there to, except the 3.rd companie. That seems to me that 3.rd company was left in Methović – those 80 man mentioned ??

And finaly , questions ( if You've reed as far, thank You !! )
1. What parts of units were placed in Metković ( there was a ambulance, too )
2. Who was responsible for taking prisoners – Feldgandarmerie, Gestapo or ???
3. On which dutty can be this oficer in prison that left my Grandfather, and which unit??
4. According to 3., could it be posible to find his name, and fate?
5. Anyone has list of KIA officers in Metković, or Bockel ( rank, details, circumstances of death, anything?) was the only one?
So, thanks in advance for any help,
Mario

FransN

Re: 7th SS Prinz Eugen - help needed

Post by FransN » 19 Jan 2019 13:34

Zdravo Mario,

:welcome:
In Otto Kumm: "Vorwärts Prinz Eugen", a map is shown of Operation "Herbstgewitter", 23.10.1944 - 11.11.1944. Apparently, Metković was the site of the headquarters of the 7. SS-Frw. Geb. Div. "Prinz Eugen" during that period. In this book I could not find anywhere that 80 engineers (Pioniere) of the alleged 3./SS-Geb. Pi. Btl. 7 were in Metković. However, I also cannot exclude it.
You mentioned a few names in your post. Here is some additional info on them:
Schmidhubber is SS-Standartenführer (pukovnik) August Schmidhuber, born 08.05.1901 in Augsburg, executed on 19.02.1947 in Belgrade (Beograd). In late 1943 he commanded SS-Frw. Geb. Jg. Rgt. 14.
SS-Untersturmführer (poručnik) Heinrich Böckel was born on 08.06.1915 in Mühlheim and was killed on 06.11.1943 in Metković. From 01.09.1943 until his death on 06.11.1943 he was member of SS-Gebirgs-Pionier-Bataillon 7 (SS-Geb. Pi. Btl. 7), but I do not know whether he was in the 3rd company (3. Kompanie = 3. Kp.).
In my records I have the name of SS-Obersturmführer Max Langenbach, born 13.01.1908 in Montigny, missing in action on 18.10.1944 (probably near Niš). In 1942 he was the battalion adjudant (IIa) in the Pi. Btl. In June 1944 I have him listed as Chef of the 3rd company (3./SS-Geb. Pi. Btl. 7). He may have commanded this latter unit already in the Autumn of 1943, but this is speculation from me.
With regard to the Feldgendarmen: I found only two names associated with the 1st horse-mounted military police squad (1. (berittene) SS-Feldgendarmerie-Trupp):
SS-Hauptsturmführer (kapetan/zapovjednik) Julius Wolf, born on 25.04.1893 in Kronstadt (leader of this unit in 07.1943) and SS-Untersturmführer (poručnik) Kruska (he may have led this unit in 04.1944).
I have no idea whether these officers were in Metković at the appropriate time.
I hope that someone else can fill in some more puzzle pieces for you. Good luck,

Best regards,
Frans

Old Bear

Post by Old Bear » 19 Jan 2019 14:09

Frans, thanks a lot!
That's a verry good starting point.
About those 80 man - that' s from the book ( don't remember name ) published in Croatia about Partisans in Croatia - I've borroved it to my cousin, and one of those days he'll return it for me- so I can detaily read it.
One thing puzzles me - Who was responsible for prison ?? Feldgandarmerie or someone else ??
The problems with most of books published here from WWII to today ( and I read them a lot) is that allways are mentioned (some ) Germans...never specified, never exactly which unit......
Sorry for my lack of knowlege, I was allways ( as a modeler) more focused on airplanes :-)

Thanks again
Mario
Last edited by Old Bear on 19 Jan 2019 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

Old Bear

Post by Old Bear » 19 Jan 2019 14:27

FransN wrote:
19 Jan 2019 13:34
and SS-Untersturmführer (poručnik) Kruska (he may have led this unit in 04.1944).
Could it be this one :

SS-Untersturmführer Karl Kruska, 31.03. 1889, SS No 4083, NSDAP Nr 110 379 ??

FransN

Post by FransN » 19 Jan 2019 15:56

Dobar dan Mario,
I don't know who is responsible for the prison, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Feldgendarmerie unit. An alternative would be the local SD/Sipo.
Interesting details of Kruska! Please tell me your source! The name of Kruska is not in John P. Moore's famous "Führerliste der Waffen-SS".
I am not surprised about the age of Kruska (or that of Wolf). Commanders of Feldgendarmerie units were often elderly officers. Maybe your mother remembers anything about the age of the SS officer that released your grandfather?
Prijatno,
Frans

Old Bear

Post by Old Bear » 19 Jan 2019 16:07

Hi Frans

google tell me so, about Kruska :-) but nothing about Wolf :-(

http://www.dws-xip.pl/reich/biografie/n ... umer4.html

Unfortunately, my mom was 10 Years old back than, and she passed away 2014,so all I have is an old familly storry in her memoirs...no details. except that was german officer's funeral, and that other one in prison was german oficer, too - they both ( he and granfather) make conversation on german. That's all I know about this part of the storry. I never meet my Grandfather, he died few months after I was born....so, I chasing the shadows.....:-) :-)
Best regards
Mario

FransN

Post by FransN » 19 Jan 2019 21:57

Dobra večer Mario,

Thanks for the link! Useful information!
Sorry that I cannot help you further. However, I'll keep an eye open and hope to help you in the future!

Best regards,
Frans

Old Bear

Post by Old Bear » 19 Jan 2019 22:13

Thanks, Frans, You already help me a lot!
Just hope that more members have some pieces of informations too :-)
Best regards
Mario

Old Bear

Post by Old Bear » 04 Aug 2019 12:52

Raising theme again ....
where I can find documents from 7SS ? list of members, officers, casualties and so on ??
any details about SS feldgendarmerie trupe 7 ?
thanks in advance

FransN

Post by FransN » 05 Aug 2019 09:42

Zdravo Mario,

Try the
Bundesarchiv-Militärarchiv,
Simon Wiesentalstrasse 10,
79115 Freiburg im Breisgau, Deutschland
militaerarchiv@bundesarchiv.de or benutzersaal.freiburg@bundesarchiv.de

One of their files may comprise useful information for you:
(BA-MA) RS 3-7/6 deals with the Kriegstagebuch (KTB) of SS-Geb. Pi. Btl. 7 "Prinz Eugen" in the period 17.3.42 - 2.8.44 (mit Kriegsranglisten, Verlustliste, Gefechts- und Verpflegungsstärken).
(BA-MA) RS 3-7/11 has a variety of unspecified items ("Einzelstücke"). May there is something on the Feldgendarmerie unit.

Good hunting,
Frans

Old Bear

Re: 7. SS-Division "Prinz Eugen" - help needed

Post by Old Bear » 05 Aug 2019 14:26

Wow !
Your'e a Gandalf the great :-)
Thanks!
I'llpPost You on e -mail!
M

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”