Were the russians the mayority of soviet volunteers in the wehrmacht and SS?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Facu90

Were the russians the mayority of soviet volunteers in the wehrmacht and SS?

Post by Facu90 » 13 Oct 2020 06:38

I hear that they were more ukrainians,caucasians and central asians but i want to hear the opinions of the experts here.

Emilie

Re: Were the russians the mayority of soviet volunteers in the wehrmacht and SS?

Post by Emilie » 19 Oct 2020 07:51

Hello,
I am not an expert at all but when I read your post, it reminded me straight away of a book I found in my town's museum. The book is about my town during the German occupation and after the liberation. It is full of photos and comments. My town has been liberated by the British and you can photos of them parading in the street of my town. You can also see photos of American troops parading because they came and stayed here until the end of the war to use the airport probably to bomb Germany alongside the British. Then a very interesting photo of about sixty men maybe more parading in German uniforms. The comment says that they were ex Russian prisoners. One of them is holding a Soviet flag. I had no clue that there were Russians among the occupying troops in my town. They were allowed to parade alongside the allies after the liberation. My town is Beauvais in Northern-Western France.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”