Serbian Conscripts in the Waffen SS

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Enar Nielsen

Serbian Conscripts in the Waffen SS

Post by Enar Nielsen » 18 Feb 2021, 22:48

I have recently been doing research on Serbian (Banat) conscripts in the Waffen SS, and I was wondering if there were any Serbian conscripts not in the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Any useful information is welcome!

K.Kocjancic

Re: Serbian Conscripts in the Waffen SS

Post by K.Kocjancic » 20 Feb 2021, 11:36

Enar Nielsen wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 22:48
I have recently been doing research on Serbian (Banat) conscripts in the Warren SS, and I was wondering if there were any Serbian conscripts not in the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Any useful information is welcome!
Well, regarding 7. SS-AuE-Btl as a separate unit, you can read it here: https://www.ceeol.com/search/article-detail?id=566743

Enar Nielsen

Post by Enar Nielsen » 21 Feb 2021, 04:32

K.Kocjancic wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 11:36
Enar Nielsen wrote:
I have recently been doing research on Serbian (Banat) conscripts in the Warren SS, and I was wondering if there were any Serbian conscripts not in the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Any useful information is welcome!
Well, regarding 7. SS-AuE-Btl as a separate unit, you can read it here: https://www.ceeol.com/search/article-detail?id=566743
Ok, thank you! I'll be reading that!

DFrolov1992

Post by DFrolov1992 » 22 Feb 2021, 14:52

Enar Nielsen wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 04:32
K.Kocjancic wrote:
Enar Nielsen wrote:
Ok, thank you! I'll be reading that!
Hi!

If we take into account the territorial boundaries of the German military-administrative regime established in occupied Serbia and the fact that its citizens were conscripted into the Waffen-SS, then in addition to the 7.SS-Division, serbian citizens were also recruited in 13.SS-Geb. Div from Novi- Pazar in 1943.

Best regards
Dmitrii

FransN

Post by FransN » 22 Feb 2021, 20:48

Does anybody know any names of company commanders (if possible with dates) of SS-Geb. Jg. Ausb. u. Ers. Btl. 7?
Frans

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 23 Feb 2021, 17:18

Hello,

@Enar Nielsen
There was a discussion earlier on AHF, with a very interesting document, however, I don't know if they were conscripts.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=215069

@Frans
I know of Heinrich Heckmüller. He first served as Zugführer in 3./SS-Geb.Jg.Ausb.- u. Ers.Btl.7 from 1 December 1942 to 15 January 1943 and then as Führer of 2./SS-Geb.Jg.Ausb.- u. Ers.Btl.7 from 15 January to 4 June 1943.

Best regards
Blanusa

FransN

Post by FransN » 24 Feb 2021, 20:47

Tack så mycket (Thank you very much) Blanusa!
Please, what is your source of this useful information? Moore mentions that Heckmüller was in the battalion, but did not mention the exact company.
Should you have more names of company commander of this battalion, please let me/us know!
Best regards,
Frans

Blanusa

Post by Blanusa » 24 Feb 2021, 20:58

Hello Frans,

You are most welcome. The information is from his 200+ page SSO file.

Best regards
Blanusa
Attachments
HH1.JPG
HH2.JPG

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 25 Feb 2021, 09:19

Hi Enar,

What is the context here?

Is it that ethnic Serbs (and other minorities?) from the Banat found themselves conscripted despite not being ethnic Germans simply because they happened to live in the Banat, which the Nazis administered as an autonomous German area?

Cheers,

Sid.

Bosnoljub

Post by Bosnoljub » 25 Feb 2021, 14:25

Sid Guttridge wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 09:19
Hi Enar,

Is it that ethnic Serbs (and other minorities?) from the Banat found themselves conscripted despite not being ethnic Germans simply because they happened to live in the Banat, which the Nazis administered as an autonomous German area?

Cheers,

Sid.
I agree, what's the context?

My minimal, and when I say minimal I MEAN minimal (going through a Wikipedia page for 5 minutes), research indicates that the Prinz Eugen Division was Volksdeutsche and didn't at all conscript non-ethnic German residents of Serbian Banat, Romanian Banat, Hungary or NDH.
Neka oprosti gospođa Evropa, samo Bosna ima spomenike, stećke!

Enar Nielsen

Post by Enar Nielsen » 05 Mar 2021, 04:32

Sid Guttridge wrote:
Hi Enar,

Cheers,

Sid.
Yes, that was the context I had imagined. I find foreign S.S. conscription interesting (Example: Lithuania) and was wondering how present it was for ethnic Serbs in the Banat

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 05 Mar 2021, 12:12

Hi Enar,

I am still unclear.

You initially posted, "I have recently been doing research on Serbian (Banat) conscripts in the Warren SS, and I was wondering if there were any Serbian conscripts not in the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen." The implication of this was that you were already aware that there were ethnic Serbian conscripts in the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen. Is this the case?

On the other hand, "I was wondering how present it was for ethnic Serbs in the Banat" seems to be purely speculative.

Have you, at present, got any information that there were ethnic Serbs conscripted into the 7th Mountain Division Prinz Eugen?

I find the enlistment of foreign nationalists into the Waffen-SS the most interesting aspect of the entire organization. The Waffen-SS was slow to start enlisting foreign nationals, except in Scandinavia, where enlistment was weak - about four men a day in Denmark and Norway. By contrast, the German Army was the first to enlist almost every other nationality as soldiers and only in early 1943 were they turned over to the Waffen-SS.

Cheers,

Sid.

DFrolov1992

Post by DFrolov1992 » 06 Mar 2021, 04:29

K.Kocjancic wrote:
Enar Nielsen wrote:
Hello Klemen

First of all thanks for the article, but in the process of studying, the question arose about the origin of your statement on page 100 ("In the late 1944, the battalion started to receive soldiers from 13th and 21st SS divisions"). What are the objective reasons for the rotation of Albanians and Bosnians to this part (judging by the context, we are talking about volunteers, not German personnel) if from the fall of 1944 there was a process of reducing the presence of these categories of volunteers in the Waffen-SS, and the Albanian division itself was experiencing an acute shortage of personnel? Are there any German documentary sources, besides the interrogation reports, confirming the diversity of the ethnic composition of the battalion?

Best regards
Dmitrii

Enar Nielsen

Post by Enar Nielsen » 29 May 2021, 03:48

Bosnoljub wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 14:25
Sid Guttridge wrote:
Hi Enar,

Cheers,

Sid.
I agree, what's the context?

My minimal, and when I say minimal I MEAN minimal (going through a Wikipedia page for 5 minutes), research indicates that the Prinz Eugen Division was Volksdeutsche and didn't at all conscript non-ethnic German residents of Serbian Banat, Romanian Banat, Hungary or NDH.
I believe you are right, I seem to have read "Formed in 1941 from both Germans and Volksdeutsche (ethnic German) volunteers and conscripts from the " as saying that it was made up of German and Volksdeutsche volunteers, and that the conscripts were ethnically Banat, Croatian, Hungarian and Romanian, instead of the reality of the Germans and Volksdeutsche being both volunteers and conscripts, from those regions.

Hawkens

Post by Hawkens » 22 Mar 2022, 20:08

Enar Nielsen wrote:
Hello, i hope i'm not late.

Here is the picture of Serbian SS volunteer.
On the back of the picture text reads:"Memories from Dresden"

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”