4th SS Nederland sniper Steincke at Kurland

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Shooter054

4th SS Nederland sniper Steincke at Kurland

Post by Shooter054 » 08 Jan 2022, 19:05

In Massimiliano Afiero's book on "The 23rd Waffen SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nederland", I came across an interesting paragraph on page 83. The subject is the 3rd Battle of Kurland. The text reads: "In response to the sniper threat several snipers from the brigade itself were assigned the difficult task of "flushing out" their opposite numbers on the other side of the line. SS Unterscharfuhrer Steincke, one of the best snipers of the Dutch Brigade, in the first week of January alone managed to chalk up twenty personal kills. During the days that followed immediately he continued to add to his record".
Does anyone know anything about Steincke, like his first name or his biography. Did he survive the war? Any information would be appreciated.

RichD-M

Re: 4th SS Nederland sniper Steincke at Kurland

Post by RichD-M » 26 Mar 2022, 19:37

It is possible that your man is Albert Steinke (born 3/16/1915), but this is a guess based purely on the results of a name search of the BA's holdings of personnel documents on their Invenio system...

Shooter054

Post by Shooter054 » 24 Dec 2023, 16:49

His birthday would be in the right time frame but the initial information I gave is all I have . Do you know if your man Albert Steinke was in the 4th SS Nederland?

RichD-M

Post by RichD-M » 29 Dec 2023, 14:36

Shooter054 wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 16:49
His birthday would be in the right time frame but the initial information I gave is all I have . Do you know if your man Albert Steinke was in the 4th SS Nederland?
Unfortunately the only way to ascertain that would be to order the file, and even then that may not hold the relevant information... Maybe someone has the relevant NARA SS-EM roll with the name on it.

Cheers,
Rich

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”