Post-war fate of Soviet collaborators in the Soviet Union

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
K.Kocjancic

Post-war fate of Soviet collaborators in the Soviet Union

Post by K.Kocjancic » 14 Jan 2023, 21:29

I'm looking for suggestion on any research regarding the post-war fate of Soviet collaborators in the Soviet Union.

Regards,
Klemen

ninoo

Re: Post-war fate of Soviet collaborators in the Soviet Union

Post by ninoo » 21 Jan 2023, 04:04

Hi,

Taken from footnote of Irina Makhalova (2019) "Heroes or Perpetrators? How Soviet Collaborators Received Red Army Medals", The Journal of Slavic Military Studies, 32:2
On the post-war trials of former collaborators, see S. Kudriashov and V. Voisin, ‘The Early Stages of the “Legal Purges” in Soviet Russia (1941–1945)’, Cahiers du Monde russe 49(2–3) (2008), pp. 263–296; A. E. Epifanov, Otvetstvennost’ gitlerovkikh voennykh prestupnikov i ikh posobnikov v SSSR: istorichesko-pravovoi aspect [The Responsibility of Nazi Military Criminals and Their Accomplices in the USSR: Historical and Legal Aspect] (Volgograd, 1997); T. Penter, ‘Local Collaborators on Trial. Soviet War Crimes under Stalin (1943–1953)’, Cahiers du Monde russe 49(2) (2008), pp. 341–364.

S. Bernstein and I. Makhalova, ‘Aggregate Treason: A Quantitative Analysis of Collaborator Trials in Soviet Ukraine and Crimea’, The Soviet and Post-Soviet Review, 46(1) (2019), pp. 30–54 [this particular reference can be found on pp. 49–50].
Tanja Penter, "Collaboration on Trial: New Source Material on Soviet Postwar Trials against Collaborators". Slavic Review, Vol. 64, No. 4 (Winter, 2005), pp. 782-790

"ESTONIA: THE BLOODY TRACE OF NAZISM: 1941-1944". SELECTION OF ARCHIVAL DOCUMENTS ON CRIMES OF ESTONIAN COLLABORATORS DURING THE
SECOND WORLD WAR (transcript trials against Estonian collaborators).

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 21 Jan 2023, 11:02

V.N. Zemskov "Return of Soviet displaced citizens to the USSR. 1944-1952", 2016 (in Russian)
http://militera.lib.ru/research/0/djvu/ ... _vn02.djvu

Mostly cover repatraition but adresses collaboration among other topics

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 21 Jan 2023, 12:25

ninoo wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 04:04
Hi,

Taken from footnote of Irina Makhalova (2019) "Heroes or Perpetrators? How Soviet Collaborators Received Red Army Medals", The Journal of Slavic Military Studies, 32:2
On the post-war trials of former collaborators, see S. Kudriashov and V. Voisin, ‘The Early Stages of the “Legal Purges” in Soviet Russia (1941–1945)’, Cahiers du Monde russe 49(2–3) (2008), pp. 263–296; A. E. Epifanov, Otvetstvennost’ gitlerovkikh voennykh prestupnikov i ikh posobnikov v SSSR: istorichesko-pravovoi aspect [The Responsibility of Nazi Military Criminals and Their Accomplices in the USSR: Historical and Legal Aspect] (Volgograd, 1997); T. Penter, ‘Local Collaborators on Trial. Soviet War Crimes under Stalin (1943–1953)’, Cahiers du Monde russe 49(2) (2008), pp. 341–364.

S. Bernstein and I. Makhalova, ‘Aggregate Treason: A Quantitative Analysis of Collaborator Trials in Soviet Ukraine and Crimea’, The Soviet and Post-Soviet Review, 46(1) (2019), pp. 30–54 [this particular reference can be found on pp. 49–50].
Tanja Penter, "Collaboration on Trial: New Source Material on Soviet Postwar Trials against Collaborators". Slavic Review, Vol. 64, No. 4 (Winter, 2005), pp. 782-790

"ESTONIA: THE BLOODY TRACE OF NAZISM: 1941-1944". SELECTION OF ARCHIVAL DOCUMENTS ON CRIMES OF ESTONIAN COLLABORATORS DURING THE
SECOND WORLD WAR (transcript trials against Estonian collaborators).
Art wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 11:02
V.N. Zemskov "Return of Soviet displaced citizens to the USSR. 1944-1952", 2016 (in Russian)
http://militera.lib.ru/research/0/djvu/ ... _vn02.djvu

Mostly cover repatraition but adresses collaboration among other topics
Thank you both!

KK

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 22 Jan 2023, 16:46

Dear Klemen,
Do you know Russian?
I proposed you two fantastic book mentioned interesting and one article you area of study:

Убийцы Хатыни: 118-й украинский батальон охранной полиции в Белоруссии, 1943–1944 гг. Сборник документов / Сост. И.А. Валаханович, А.Р. Дюков, Н.В. Кириллова, В.Д. Селеменев. — Москва: Издательство «Пятый Рим» (ООО «Бестселлер»); Фонд «Историческая память», 2018. 480 с.
[Killers of Khatyn: 118th Ukrainian Schutzmannschaft battalion in Belarus, 1943–1944. Collection of documents / Comp. I.A. Valakhanovich, A.R. Dyukov, N.V. Kirillova, V.D. Selemenev. Moscow: Publishing house "The Fifth Rome" ("Bestseller"); Fund "Historical Memory", 2018. 480 p.]

In this Collection of documents case, you have to be careful - the documents from TsA KGB RB focus only on policemen Schuma.Btl. 118, but there were also Germans in Khatyn. This can be considered a propaganda ploy, focusing attention on the "Ukrainian fascists" - but testimonies from cases conducted by the KGB in the 1960s and 1970s are excellent and you can sift the chaff from the grain.

Арон Шнеер, Профессия - смерть. Учебный лагерь СС "Травники". Преступления и возмездие — Москва: Издательство Пятый Рим 2019, 464 c.
[Aron Schneer, Profession - death. SS training camp "Trawniki". Crimes and retribution Moscow: The Fifth Rome, 2019, p. 464]

Митрофанов С.А. Цена измены. По материалам рассекреченных надзорных производств прокуратуры Тульской области по делам о госпреступлениях [Mitrofanov S.A, The price of betrayal. According to declassified supervisory proceedings Prosecutor's Office of the Tula region for state crimes]
[in:] Пособники. Исследования и материалы по истории отечественного коллаборационизма: [Сборник] / редакторы-составители Д.А. Жуков и И.И.Ковтун. — Москва: Пятый Рим (ООО «Бестселлер»),2020. — 464 с. [Collaborators. Research and materials on the history of domestic collaborationism: [Collection] / editors-compilers D.A. Zhukov and I.I. Kovtun. - Moscow: Fifth Rome ("Bestseller"), 2020. - 464 p.]

Please don't forget about new edition from in English: Josh Baldwin, Trawniki Guards: Foot Soldiers of the Holocaust: Vol. 2, Investigations and Trials (Atglen: Schiffer Military, 2022) , 288 p.

Bestreg Orlov
PS: I also accidentally found documents of the Polish communist Security Service regarding hiding ex-Soviet collaborators (serving with Dirlewanger) in the western parts of the Polish People's Republic in 1960s.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 22 Jan 2023, 20:00

Orlov wrote:
22 Jan 2023, 16:46
Dear Klemen,
Do you know Russian?
I proposed you two fantastic book mentioned interesting and one article you area of study:

Убийцы Хатыни: 118-й украинский батальон охранной полиции в Белоруссии, 1943–1944 гг. Сборник документов / Сост. И.А. Валаханович, А.Р. Дюков, Н.В. Кириллова, В.Д. Селеменев. — Москва: Издательство «Пятый Рим» (ООО «Бестселлер»); Фонд «Историческая память», 2018. 480 с.
[Killers of Khatyn: 118th Ukrainian Schutzmannschaft battalion in Belarus, 1943–1944. Collection of documents / Comp. I.A. Valakhanovich, A.R. Dyukov, N.V. Kirillova, V.D. Selemenev. Moscow: Publishing house "The Fifth Rome" ("Bestseller"); Fund "Historical Memory", 2018. 480 p.]

In this Collection of documents case, you have to be careful - the documents from TsA KGB RB focus only on policemen Schuma.Btl. 118, but there were also Germans in Khatyn. This can be considered a propaganda ploy, focusing attention on the "Ukrainian fascists" - but testimonies from cases conducted by the KGB in the 1960s and 1970s are excellent and you can sift the chaff from the grain.

Арон Шнеер, Профессия - смерть. Учебный лагерь СС "Травники". Преступления и возмездие — Москва: Издательство Пятый Рим 2019, 464 c.
[Aron Schneer, Profession - death. SS training camp "Trawniki". Crimes and retribution Moscow: The Fifth Rome, 2019, p. 464]

Митрофанов С.А. Цена измены. По материалам рассекреченных надзорных производств прокуратуры Тульской области по делам о госпреступлениях [Mitrofanov S.A, The price of betrayal. According to declassified supervisory proceedings Prosecutor's Office of the Tula region for state crimes]
[in:] Пособники. Исследования и материалы по истории отечественного коллаборационизма: [Сборник] / редакторы-составители Д.А. Жуков и И.И.Ковтун. — Москва: Пятый Рим (ООО «Бестселлер»),2020. — 464 с. [Collaborators. Research and materials on the history of domestic collaborationism: [Collection] / editors-compilers D.A. Zhukov and I.I. Kovtun. - Moscow: Fifth Rome ("Bestseller"), 2020. - 464 p.]

Please don't forget about new edition from in English: Josh Baldwin, Trawniki Guards: Foot Soldiers of the Holocaust: Vol. 2, Investigations and Trials (Atglen: Schiffer Military, 2022) , 288 p.

Bestreg Orlov
PS: I also accidentally found documents of the Polish communist Security Service regarding hiding ex-Soviet collaborators (serving with Dirlewanger) in the western parts of the Polish People's Republic in 1960s.
Thanks!

I will take a look.

Regards,
Klemen

steve248

Post by steve248 » 24 Jan 2023, 14:03

Some of Tanja Penter's papers are available on-line; and I just requested a copy "Aggregate Treason".
Incidentally, Peter Black has also written about the Trawniki guards and is still researching them.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 24 Jan 2023, 19:13

I forget about interesting collection of documents - Kałmucki Korpus Kawalerii. Zbrodnie popelnione na ziemiach polskich w 1944 r. w dokumentach SB (Kalmyk Cavalry Corps. Crimes committed on [occupied] Polish lands in 1944 in SB [Security Service - communist secret police] documents). The Polish "secret service" conducted an investigation on behalf of the KGB.
Attachments
1-24896-2.jpg

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 26 Jan 2023, 10:05

Thanks again!

KK

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”