SS-Frw.Rgt. "Varjag"

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Xserx

Post by Xserx » 22 Aug 2003 13:25

Kocjo wrote:
One question:
The ranks of this soldiers are W-SS or Red Army ranks or ...?

I think, this Soviet and Russian ranks (for Russian cadet). In the Aleksandrov's book was next ranks: porutchik = leutenant; podporutchik = under the leutenant or jr.leutenant. Porutchik was a old Russian military rank (not Soviet).
BTW. It's called Ljubljana.

Sorry Kocjo!

Xserx/

Stefano

SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 Waräger

Post by Stefano » 25 Aug 2003 08:37

Hello
I have not seen any papers frm the unit clarifying its exact nalme, but a German document from the Roesener's command (Korpsgruppe Roesener) dated 26.4.1945 states SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 Waräger was in Podhosta on that date.
Stefano

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 25 Aug 2003 09:01

Thanks!

Podhosta is a place in Slovenia, where this unit fought against Slovenian Partisan forces.

Octavianus

Post by Octavianus » 25 Aug 2003 12:05

Ave Stefano,

I have not seen any papers frm the unit clarifying its exact nalme, but a German document from the Roesener's command (Korpsgruppe Roesener) dated 26.4.1945 states SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 Waräger was in Podhosta on that date.Stefano

What sort of a document is this? Is this some sort of "Einteilungslist" for all the German units that were stationed in the Provincia di Lubiana in April 1945? Because if it is I would dearly much like to see that document as many of the units pulled back from Slovenia to my beloved Kärnten. Plus my uncle served briefly in Slovenia during the war. :wink:

Gratiam,

Octavianus

Stefano

Document

Post by Stefano » 25 Aug 2003 15:38

Here you have the whole document, it was a telegram from Roesener to OB Suedost/HGr E:

Forces available to Kommandeur-General des rückwärtigen Heeresgebietes E (or Korps-Gruppe Rösener), 26 April 1945:

- On the border area between Kärnten, Untersteiermark and Oberkrain: I. and II. Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt. 19 and one Polizei-Reiterschwadron;
- in the area of Maribor – Dravograd: 2 batallions from SS-Pol.Rgt. 6;
- in the area of Ankenstein – Laurenz (I do not know the Slovenian names): I. Btl./Res.Geb.Jg.Rgt. 18;
- in the area of Monsberg – Marktdorf (I do not know the Slovenian names): II. Btl./Res.Geb.Jg.Rgt. 18;
- on the Trojane pass (between Ljubljana and Celje): a Polizei-Reiterschwadron;
- on the line Gotenica – Kocevje – river Krka (Topla Reber): entire SS-Pol.Rgt. 17, I. and III. Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt. “Todt” 28, 1. and 14. Pol.Pz.Kp.;
- area of Velike Lašce - Ribnica – Kocevje: III. Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt. 19;
- area of Novo Mesto: I. Btl. “Cholm”/SS-Pol.Rgt. 25;
- area of Podhosta: SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 “Waräger”;
- units from Division z.b.V. 438 for railway line protection;
- Slowenische Landeswehr in the “Provinz Laibach” (southern Slovenia, formerly occupied by Italians until September 1943).

Source: BA-MA, RH 22/297, page 63.

Stefano

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 25 Aug 2003 15:40

Thanks a lot!

MAXIS

Re: Document

Post by MAXIS » 25 Aug 2003 17:54

Hi guys

About this very interesting document I have some questions:

Stefano wrote:- in the area of Maribor – Dravograd: 2 batallions from SS-Pol.Rgt. 6;

Is there’s anyone who knows details about those bataillons?
As PR6 was re-formed in Hungary on 10/44 with four bataillons - I, II, III, and IV - (with III and IV news-ones and in training stage) and Tessin states that Regiment was partially involved in Battle of Budapes and surrended to russians on 11/2/45, I think that bataillons in Marburg were III and IV/6. But this is a speculation. Any confirm?

Stefano wrote:on the line Gotenica – Kocevje – river Krka (Topla Reber): entire SS-Pol.Rgt. 17,

Till December 44 PR 17 was in Warsaw. Could you confirm all regiment was transferred to Slovenia (and not one –or two- bataillons only)?

Stefano wrote:On the border area between Kärnten, Untersteiermark and Oberkrain: I. and II. Btl./SS-Pol.Rgt. 19 and one Polizei-Reiterschwadron;
- on the Trojane pass (between Ljubljana and Celje): a Polizei-Reiterschwadron;

Any details about those Schwadronen?
I have the following:
Polizei-Reiter-Schwadron “Griechenland” in Celje on March 1945
Polizei-Reiter-Schwadron “Kroatien”. Under BdO Kroatien till late 1944. then (probably) retired to Slovenia.
Any confirm?

Thks a lot

Best
Max

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 25 Aug 2003 18:18

I don't have any info on SS-Pol.Rgt. 6 in Slovenia. :? Like, this Rgt. was never here. :? :?

I./SS-Pol.Rgt. 17 came to Slovenia in 11/44 (probably from Croatia - 400 men) with II. and III./SS-Pol.Rgt. 19 (from France).
In April 1945 it appears that all of SS-PolRgt. 17 was stationed in Untersteiermark.
During 1/45 was this Rgt. stationed along Sava river during 5. - 10.1.1945. When was this opeartion over, Rgt. was searching Kozjansko area for partisans from 15.1. -?.1. Rgt. was taking part in operations Frühlingsanfang and Winterende was a part of straking mobile group, formed by 13., 17. and 28. SS-Pol.Rgt. (all-together about 4.500 men). Rgt. also participated in last large German operation in Slovenia from 9.4. - 15.4. along the road Kočevje-Stari Log-Dvor-Soteska. Until 3.5.1945 this Rgt. with 19. and 25. SS-Pol.Rgt. (+ Serb.Frw.Korps, Cetniki, W.- u. SS-UFS Laibach) were holding the "Eiche" defence line, which was located Krka-Kočevje-Grčarice-Grahovo-Cerknica-Rakek-Grčarevec-Hotedršica. Until 5.-6.5. German were still holding some defence pocitions in the line.

Stefano

Post by Stefano » 26 Aug 2003 14:51

According to what I have, SS-Pol.Rgt. 17 (without II. Btl.) arrived in Slovenia in November 1944 from Warsaw; I am not sure if the II. Btl. arrived afterwards. I’ll check by tomorrow if the document from 26.4.45 actually said « entire » or if I have added it preposterously (in that case I apologise).
Going back to SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 Wareager, this unit seems to have a similar history to the Russisches Schutzkorps formed by Russian exiles in Serbia in 1941 and later integrated in the Wehrmacht; were the two units actually the same ? were they linked in any way ?
Stefano
http://www.panzer-ozak.it

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 26 Aug 2003 14:57

Stefano, I just realized that we have a common fried. :) :wink:

The Waräger was formed from Russians (all ex-RA members), when Korps was composed from some ex-RA soldiers, ex-"White Russians" (Czar) soldiers (which were living in Serbia; majority of unit) and some Serbs.

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 26 Aug 2003 20:39

Kocjo & Stefano thks you both.

About 17 PR seems (but not 100% sure) a III bataillon was formed in Poland on September 44. On the same date II was under Festung-Kommandatur Warshau and I with 73ID (9 Armee).
Then there's a gap till November 44 when "regiment" appear in Slovenia: looking for infos continue.... :)

best
Max

Stefano

Post by Stefano » 27 Aug 2003 08:13

I checked the original 26.4.45 document, it actually says "gesamtes SS-Pol.Rgt. 17" (= entire regiment, normally 3 Btl.)
A document I already cited says that the Rgt. transferred to Slovenia from Warsaw in November 1944 (minus II. Btl., but apparently this also followed later), so I assume between September and November the Rgt. was in Warsaw or in Poland.
Stefano

Kocjo, who's our common friend?

MAXIS

Post by MAXIS » 27 Aug 2003 21:01

Stefano wrote:I checked the original 26.4.45 document, it actually says "gesamtes SS-Pol.Rgt. 17" (= entire regiment, normally 3 Btl.)

Well, this solve an old doubt and clarify the destiny of two bataillons :D

Thks a lot
Max

Stefano

Post by Stefano » 28 Aug 2003 16:20

From an English document, this is the list of troops belonging to Korpsgruppe von Seeler (Oberst Werner von Seeleer) ; this was the old Korps-Gruppe Roesener, who disappeared on 8 May 1945 and was replaced by von Seeler, which, coming from Slovenia, passed the river Drau on 11 May 1945 to surrender to the British, and was concentrated in Viktring (near Klagenfurt) :

- SS-Pol.Rgt. 17, 19 and 28, and 2. Pol.Pz.Kp.,
- Elements of 19. Flak-Div.,
- Support troops of H.Gr. E,
- Slowenische Landeswehr,
- Russischer Schutzkorps,
- Serbisches Freiwilligen-Korps.

Comparing this with the document from 26 April 1945 I mentioned above, it would seem that the Russischer Schutzkorps and the SS-Sonder-Rgt. 1 Waräger were the same unit, I cannot imagine there were 2 Russian units under the same Kampfgruppe.
Any other information on this ?
Stefano

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 28 Aug 2003 16:25

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=24872

This is an old thread on Russisches Schutzkorps.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”