Japanese volunteer in Normandy

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Sep 2003, 20:02

Marcus Wendel wrote:Until I see some more proof than just the brief descriptions on that site, I'm remaining highly sceptical of those claims and photos.
You are destroying all the fun. :)

I agree with you Marcus, although I do think that the armshields look very interesting. What would your theory be about that?

Best regards/ Daniel

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Sep 2003, 20:06

D. Löwenhamn wrote:
Marcus Wendel wrote:Until I see some more proof than just the brief descriptions on that site, I'm remaining highly sceptical of those claims and photos.
You are destroying all the fun. :)

I agree with you Marcus, although I do think that the armshields look very interesting. What would your theory be about that?
There are several possible explenations, including faked/modified photos, postwar photos, liaison officers pre-war and (of course) missidentified photos (prehaps Soviet volunteers).

/Marcus

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Sep 2003, 20:19

Sorry, I was exclusively talking about the first two photos, showing the "Japanese volunteers" with armshields. If this was a pre-war photo they should wear their Japanese uniforms.

Best regards/ Daniel

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 16 Sep 2003, 20:21

D. Löwenhamn wrote:Sorry, I was exclusively talking about the first two photos, showing the "Japanese volunteers" with armshields. If this was a pre-war photo they should wear their Japanese uniforms.
There are several possible explenations, including faked/modified photos and postwar photos (reenactors for example).

/Marcus

Orok

Post by Orok » 16 Sep 2003, 20:35

Hi,

Can you guys post a blown up pic of the armshield? And the shoulder boards of the officers? It seems to me one of the officer is at least a major! Oficers of such a rank should appear in a lot records! So the whole thing smells real fishy! 8)

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 16 Sep 2003, 22:45

All photos D. Löwenhamn posted are in the site I linked in this thread.
I and several Japanese military buffs once talked about tthese pictures and agreed the officer in the first two picture is perhaps an atache of Japanese army in Berlin, though we have no idea to identify him. Several times in the war Japanese army succeeded to send ataches to Germany in addition to original members. We were very interested to the armshield, perhaps specially designed simbolizing the rising sun.

AgentBach

Post by AgentBach » 16 Sep 2003, 23:01

Orok wrote:
AgentBach wrote:Koreans have been descended from the Mongols.
Any sources for this broad assertion? :D
The Korean people are believed to be the descendants of several Mongolian tribes which migrated from Central Asia in prehistoric times. Although some historians maintain that a people of proto-Caucasian origin may have reached the Korean peninsula earlier, the Mongolian strain predominated the early Korean population.

Interestingly, the Korean language belongs to the Ural-Altaic group and is related to such agglutinative tongues as Mongolian, Turkish, Hungarian and Finnish The Korean race is homogenous, with a unique culture and civilization, and traits quite distinct from both the Chinese and the Japanese
Got that from http://www.indiana.edu/~easc/resources/ ... le/1-1.htm And almost any other place to get info on Korean people.

Orok

Post by Orok » 16 Sep 2003, 23:14

Hi Agent,

Thank you for giving the sources. But I personally find Wachenr0der's explanation more plausible and convincing.

As to the language thing, the supposed relationship between the Finno-Ugric languages (Finn and Hungarian) and Altaic languages (Turkic languages, Mongolian and all the Tungus languages) had been discarded by all serious linguists. :D Also, similar gramatical structure might be the influence of neiboring Tungus langusges, like Jurgen and Manchurian, and had nothing to do with the Mongolians.

Just my 2 cents! :P

BTW, I'll not return to this issue since it is off-topic! 8)

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 16 Sep 2003, 23:26

maisov wrote:All photos D. Löwenhamn posted are in the site I linked in this thread.
Hi Maisov, sorry about that. That site was down when I tried to see it before.

Best regards/ Daniel

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 30 Apr 2004, 23:44

Thanks to all for this very informative post

keep up the great research 8)

Cheers
MAX-theHitMan

urielamuka

Post by urielamuka » 05 May 2004, 00:21

D. Löwenhamn wrote:Well he looks more like coming from Japan or Korea to me. Perhaps any of our Asian members can help us?

Best regards/ Daniel
I think he is more possibly a Korean from the eastern provinces of CCCP, rather than a Korean from Korea or Japanese, since Korea was still the colony of Japan at that time and it was impossible for Japan to send some man to serve for Germany(emigrant? no idea then) at that time. It is also possible that he is a Tungus. He looks not like from the central asia nor Mongolia. Btw, I am a Chinese.

nacho

Post by nacho » 06 May 2004, 11:20

Found in British pathe from a reel about Normandy battle, Carentan area. Seems more asian (mongol) than japanese to me.
Attachments
1360_07_265.jpg
1360_07_265.jpg (185.57 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

Jaimon

Enthusiasm?

Post by Jaimon » 27 May 2004, 20:52

Enthusiasm?
Only so much can be garnered from looking at a single photograph, but here is a Waffen-SS soldier of Vietnamese-French decent named Lucien Kemarat. He had a Vietnamese father and a French mother. Lucien is still alive and living in southern France.

xikang

Post by xikang » 29 May 2004, 01:26

Long before WW2, Japan occupied Korea and captured a lot of Koreans to work for them. In 1930s, there was a war broken between USSR & Japan(Sorry for I cannot show the English name clearly), the Russian captured some Kroean workers from Japanese army. Later Russian made them to work for them. And during the east line battles, these Koreans were re-captured by Germans then servered in Germany troops. At the end, they were captured by Allied by the end of the war.

I guess maybe this is one of those Korean workers.

Eden Zhang

Post by Eden Zhang » 29 May 2004, 08:38

Waffen-SS soldier of Vietnamese-French decent named Lucien Kemarat.
His collar tabs look like Heer ones to me.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”