English Units of German Military

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
sylvieK4

English Units of German Military

Post by sylvieK4 » 07 Jul 2002, 15:18

I found this poster on line. It was shown with images of Waffen SS recruiting posters from Norway, France and other European countries.

Does anyone have any idea where this particular poster, obviously targeting Brits, would have been displayed, and when it appeared?
Thanks.

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 08 Jul 2002, 09:07

It was probably used when Englishman and Nazi calloborator John Amery toured POW camps trying to get English POW's to join the Waffen SS.

Have a look at this link

http://www.wssob.com/000kpsbri.html

Pretty interesting stuff.

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 08 Jul 2002, 13:13

Max Brandt wrote:Pretty interesting stuff.
Yes, makes sense to, though I can't help but feel that PoW's would not be a fertile group for recruitment. The difference between this "St George's" unit and its equivalents from occupied territories is that the recruiters had acces to the general population. Not an option in free Britain and anyway Moseley and his mob were mostly locked away.

The collar patch might make an interesting Avitar for this forum though.

K.
--
Ken Cocker
London

LeighLancs

Post by LeighLancs » 08 Jul 2002, 22:44

The POW camps weren't fertile recruiting grounds, you're right.

I recomend the book Hitler's Englishmen by a person whose name escapes me for this topic. It reveals that the two most notorious traitors, Amery and Joyce, were both spectacularly unsuccessful in recruiting for the SS, although a unit did form, it was very small, less that 200 in number and never saw combat. Joyce's activity was limited to radio broadcasts from Germany to England, mainly on frequencies so difficult to pick up that ordinary folk couldn't have heard them even if they'd wanted to.

The Germans made 800 Union Jack arm badge thingies, which gives you an idea of how hopeful they were for a British unit.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 08 Jul 2002, 23:07

Thanks for your posts. Since starting this thread, I found a site on line for reenactors of the "British Free Corps" of the Waffen SS. The site has a photo gallery, mostly prints from the author of the book Leigh mentioned above: Renegades: Hitler's Englishmen by Adrian Weale.

http://members.aol.com/sturmpnzr/BFC.html

Reproduction Badges:
Image Image

Period Photo:

Interesting stuff.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”