Cossack SS Troops armament

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Heinz23

Cossack SS Troops armament

Post by Heinz23 » 13 Jul 2002, 20:47

Greetings to you all!

I'm new to this forum and I'd like to give an unusual question:
What type of armament did Cossack soldiers serving in Waffen-SS use ? I know only about some captured Soviet weapons, because Cossacks often deserted from Red Army. Could anyone of You give me exact names of weapons (rifles, machineguns, artillery, etc.) used by Cossacks ?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 13 Jul 2002, 23:05

(click the cover)

I don't have any such detailed info unfortunately (but would love to hear what info you have on the cossacks so far), but you might want to check out "Pannwitz's Cossacks: 1942-1945" by Francois De Lannoy.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 13 Jul 2002, 23:09

Here is an article you might find interesting:
Cossack Units in the Service of the Axis Powers
http://www.forces70.freeserve.co.uk/Waf ... ssacks.htm

/Marcus

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 14 Jul 2002, 01:49

I am afraid I can't help you much, but I found from here http://bka-roa.chat.ru/15_cossack_cav_corps.htm at least some information.

There it is mentioned that after the cossacks were subordinated to SS in the end of 1944, their equipment improved. For example the 1st Cossack Cavalry Division's Artillery Rgt got a battery of 105-mm howitzers, the Engineers Battalion got some Nebelwerfers, the Recon Battalion got some Stg-44 assault rifles.

Before the subordination to the SS the 1st Cossack Cav Div was equipied with the following weapons:

On paper each cavalry Rgt (there were six of them) was equipied with:
5 50-mm-PaK, 14 81-mm Mortars, 54 50-mm Mortars, 68 MG-42 (including 8 heavy MG-42). The light firearms were German carbines and SMGs. Also every Rgt had four 7,62mm field guns (obviously of Soviet production).

Besides abovementioned weapons, the 1st Cossack Cav Divisions artillery units had alltogether 24 75mm guns.

This is unfortunately all I can provide.

Regards,

Folgore

Post by Folgore » 14 Jul 2002, 19:32

Two of these Cossack Divisions, at the orders of the Atamàn General Krasnov were sent to Italy, with their families, in September 1944. These 40.000 men stationed in Carnia, a valley in Northeast Italy, which the Germans promised them as their new permanent land, this area was in fact called "Kosackenland in Italien". They were mostly involved in anti-partisan roles. At the end of the war they surrendered to the English, who, even though assured them protection, according to Yalta, later passed them to the Soviets.
I once saw a picture of a pile of weapons which these Cossacks handed over to the Allies: It included weapons of all types, but mostly English weapons! Enfields, Brens, and Stens. So I would say that, according to what was said to me, and to this picture I saw , the individual armament of at least these two Caucasic Cossack Divisions in good part consisted of captured British weapons.

Ciao,
Folgore

Heinz23

Post by Heinz23 » 21 Jul 2002, 21:02

Many thanks to you, my dear Kameraden! This should be very helpful.

Patrick Holscher

Small Arms

Post by Patrick Holscher » 07 Aug 2002, 14:49

In terms of small arms, the Cossacks incorporated into the SS were generally armed in a manner matching German troops, although there was some leeway allowing for the carrying of Soviet arms with which they were already familiar. The normally carried, however, 98s of either the K98k or VZ24 variety. In photographs, the only small arm that I've noted them carrying which was not German are Soviet submachineguns.

It's important to note that not all Cossacks in German service where in the unit eventually made a part of the SS. Other Cossack units, therefore, may have been equipped somewhat differently. I've seen, for example, some photos of Cossack units equiped with VZ24s and wearing the M16 helmet.

Patrick Holscher

Pat Holscher

Post by Patrick Holscher » 07 Aug 2002, 14:51

By the way, another interesting book on the topic is Cossacks In The German Army. It was written by a US Army War College professor.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”