Slovene soldiers in German armed service in WW2

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
K.Kocjancic

Re: SLovenes

Post by K.Kocjancic » 12 Aug 2003, 18:24

Octavianus wrote:Ave Kocjo,
You should also try to find: Bilten društva mobiliziranih Slovencev v nemško vojsko 1941-1945 Celje If you are trying to find some of this books in Slovenian libraries (or just more info on them), try:
http://cobiss.izum.si/
I sure am grateful to you for writing me down the titles of these interesting sources, but I am afraid I don't have access to the Slovene libraries. What I had in mind is if any of these books is today still available in the bookstores, where I could purchase them or have a look at them.

Gratiam,

Octavianus
I'll see, what can I find out.

Octavianus

Oberkrain

Post by Octavianus » 13 Aug 2003, 01:10

Ave Kocjo,
I'll see, what can I find out.
Ah, no... No need for you to look for this material! I don't want to burdain or take your time as much as I already do. I am sure you have plenty of other things to do. I'll come to Slovenia soon and will ask a daughter of my wife's sister if she can take a look for these books in the National Library of Ljubljana.

Thanks for the offer though.

Gratiam,

Octavianus

cannon

Post by cannon » 13 Aug 2003, 04:53

A great read, thank you all for your information. I am Slovenian and to this day my parents will still not mention what my grandparents did during the conflict. I doubt that they would have done something noteworthy but I would still like to know. I did not think there was too much interest in this topic, I guess I was wrong.
Thank you for the info.

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 13 Aug 2003, 08:01

cannon wrote:A great read, thank you all for your information. I am Slovenian and to this day my parents will still not mention what my grandparents did during the conflict. I doubt that they would have done something noteworthy but I would still like to know. I did not think there was too much interest in this topic, I guess I was wrong.
Thank you for the info.
From which town are you? Still living in Slovenia?

cannon

Post by cannon » 18 Aug 2003, 05:16

Hi there,
My Mom is from Maribor, my father is further south.
I am a first generation Canadian.
Cheers!

sugref

Monte Cassino

Post by sugref » 06 Sep 2003, 00:13

A friend of mine was seeing a german girl for a long time.He met her father/grandfather, can't remember, and this man had fought at monte Cassino, in the SS, as the final breakthrough came he swapped uniforms with a dead polish soldier and passed himself off as polish, he is still alive today.

Apparently he never ever spoke about the war to his family but just told loads to my friend,who had served in the contemporary Irish army.

So apparently there was huge confusion of nationalities.

SloveneLiberal

Re: Slovene soldiers in German armed service in WW2

Post by SloveneLiberal » 07 Dec 2020, 21:18

It seems really a lot Slovenes died in Wehrmacht. According to official data collected by Slovene Institute for modern history at least around 10.500.

But there is another issue. For quite many victims of World war 2 we do not know where they died, how they died or who killed them. Specially that is true for people who were conscripted in Wehrmacht.

For example for municipality of Slovenj Gradec we know that almost one third of those who were conscripted in Wehrmacht died. 450 men were conscripted all together. But for the majority of the dead we do not know how they died. It can be in fighting or in concentration camps for POWs. Mostly they were sent on Eastern front. ( Victims of the second world war on the area of the municipality of Slovenj Gradec, book written by dr. Marjan Linasi, published in Slovenj Gradec, 2002, pages 122-136. )

RikH

Post by RikH » 26 Jan 2021, 07:17

I am trying to piece together information about my father who was conscripted to the Wehrmacht and, I think, sent to the Eastern Front.
I have a hospital record that records his unit as: Gren.Pz.Jg.Ers.u.A.Abt.31
Can anyone give me some information about this unit?

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 01 Feb 2021, 14:12

RikH wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 07:17
I am trying to piece together information about my father who was conscripted to the Wehrmacht and, I think, sent to the Eastern Front.
I have a hospital record that records his unit as: Gren.Pz.Jg.Ers.u.A.Abt.31
Can anyone give me some information about this unit?
Are you sure about the unit designation/name? This list (http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... erungJ.htm) doesn't list Nr. 31.

RikH

Post by RikH » 02 Feb 2021, 01:56

Thanks for replying.
This is exactly as it is typed on his hospital papers from Reserve Hospital Landsberg. He arrived at the hospital 3/2/45. He entered the service on 16/11/44 being recruited from Cilli (Celji) Slovenia, just after his 17th birthday.

I have another document about a black wounded badge awarded while in hospital at Hildesheim. This document records his unit as Pz.Jg.Ers.Kp.31
Further down after Feldtruppenteil is typed 5./Schw.Kp. 1.Kampf.Bt1

Does any of this help?

luda

Post by luda » 02 Feb 2021, 10:07

Maybe this will help?
Georg Tessin, Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939 – 1945
05 - Die Landstreitkrafte 31-70_003.jpg
05 - Die Landstreitkrafte 31-70_004.jpg
05 - Die Landstreitkrafte 31-70_005.jpg
05 - Die Landstreitkrafte 31-70_006.jpg

RikH

Post by RikH » 03 Feb 2021, 01:30

Thanks for that. I will go through and try to match dates with my father's time with this unit.

naranjacrunch

Post by naranjacrunch » 14 May 2021, 06:44

Hi!
I'm from Argentina, and I'm looking for information about My grandad. Jos mame was Félix Plibersek, from Slovenia. All I know is that he was in Artillery, and fought in Italy. But I don't know wich unit, or if he was in Whermacht or SS.

Thanks for your help in advance

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”