Croat Legion - Oberst Novak

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Stefano

Croat Legion - Oberst Novak

Post by Stefano » 16 Apr 2004 09:43

In the Summer 1943 the Italian army formed a Legion with Croat soldiers, which at the time of the Italian armistice on 8 September 1943 was still training in northern Italy. The Germans took over and the unit, called Kroatische Legion, was used for a time for security purposes in Italy, then sent to Germany in November 1943 where it was integrated into the forming german-croat infantry divisions.
Between September and November 1943 the Legion was commanded by an Oberst Novak; has anyone any info on this officer? Was he German or Croat?
Thanks in advance
Stefano

Allen Milcic

Re: Croat Legion - Oberst Novak

Post by Allen Milcic » 18 Apr 2004 19:59

Stefano wrote:In the Summer 1943 the Italian army formed a Legion with Croat soldiers, which at the time of the Italian armistice on 8 September 1943 was still training in northern Italy. The Germans took over and the unit, called Kroatische Legion, was used for a time for security purposes in Italy, then sent to Germany in November 1943 where it was integrated into the forming german-croat infantry divisions.
Between September and November 1943 the Legion was commanded by an Oberst Novak; has anyone any info on this officer? Was he German or Croat?
Thanks in advance
Stefano
Hi Stefano:

I would say he was a Croat, though the only higher-ranking Croatian officer I have found biographical information on that had the surname 'Novak' was NDH General Viktor NOVAK. He does not appear to have had any connections with the Italian sponsored Croat Legion, unfortunately. Do you have any idea what the Oberst Novak's given name was?

Allen/

K.Kocjancic

Re: Croat Legion - Oberst Novak

Post by K.Kocjancic » 08 Nov 2022 20:20

I came across "2. kroatische Legion", which was stationed in Moggio in late Sept. 1943. Is this the same unit?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”