SS from Luxembourg

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Hannes

SS from Luxembourg

Post by Hannes » 18 May 2004 21:14

I know that approx 30 volunteers from Luxembourg joined the Waffen-SS. Can anybody provide information about these men?

Incorporeal One

Post by Incorporeal One » 19 May 2004 07:43

Since Luxembourg was made a part of the German Reich in August '42 wouldn't any citizens that joined the SS just be listed as Germans and not Luxembourgese? The only data I have found is that 12,035 men were conscripted from Luxembourg into the Wehrmacht but no reference to where exactly they served.

Konstan

Post by Konstan » 20 May 2004 04:44

Incorporeal One wrote:Since Luxembourg was made a part of the German Reich in August '42 wouldn't any citizens that joined the SS just be listed as Germans and not Luxembourgese? The only data I have found is that 12,035 men were conscripted from Luxembourg into the Wehrmacht but no reference to where exactly they served.
I may be mistaken, but I believe they would have been declared 'Volksdeutsche'.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 21 May 2004 15:09

There were volunteers from Luxembourg in the SS.
The German Wehrmacht mounted an intense recruiting campaign in Luxembourg shortly after their victory in the West in June of 1940. Perhaps it was the wake of their recent spectacular conquest that made their recruitment so successful. They were able to initially raise in the region of 1,800-2,000 volunteers from among the tiny Grand Duchy. In August of 1942 Luxembourg was officially made a part of the German Reich and all of its citizens were thereafter subjected to call-up for the German Wehrmacht. Subsequently, all the classes of 1920-1926 were immediately drafted. From August 1942 until liberation in late 1944, conscription in Luxembourg produced 12,035 men, of whom 2,752 fell in action, died of wounds or were posted missing-presumed dead. A further 1,500 were severely wounded or disabled, and 3,516 deserted.

Since Luxembourg was regarded by the Germans as an integral part of the Reich there was no Luxemberger Legion, but it is without question that Luxembourg volunteers and conscripts served throughout WWII in various units of the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, and Waffen-SS without any acknowledgement as to their national origin.
from http://www.feldgrau.com/lux.html

I think that the volunteers from Luxembourg were incorporated into the 5th in/or the 11th SS Divisionen.

Best regards

drhollan

Post by drhollan » 28 Jan 2006 18:31

Hello folks,
I accidentally ran across this forum and noticed your discussion about Luxembourg SS members. My uncle was a member of the SS during ww2. He still lives in Luxembourg City. His name is Robert Weiland, sometimes spelled Weyland by mistake. Some of our family use the latter spelling because it doesn't appear of German origin. He was originally a letter carrier for the SS at Villa Pollie (spelling may be wrong), SS headquarters in Luxembourg City. He was sent to the Russian front at Stalingrad after fraternizing with an officers girlfriend. He was wounded there. He faught alonside with his brother, also a Weiland who was killed at Stalingrad by a mortar shell. I do not know if my other uncle was an SS member or not. His death is rarely discussed. I have pictures of my uncle in SS uniform on guard duty. He told me it was a concentration camp and judging by the background it appears to be just that. I also have pictures of his enitre unit. I do not know if the entire unit is from Luxembourg or not. My uncle receives checks from the german government for his work during the war, although he was never a german citizen. I do not believe that during the occupation Luxembourg citizens were consider germans. As you know the SS was made up largely of foreign so-called volunteers, according to my uncle he was not a volunteer but forced into service by the germans, being forced is the reason he receives the payments to this day from Germany. He had a choice of laboring as a worker or fighting in the Wehrmacht. But, some type of service was mandantory for his age group. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them for you.
Thanks

Denim Demon

ss from kluxemburg

Post by Denim Demon » 29 Jan 2006 03:36

I dont think there were any ss troops at stalingrad?

drhollan

Post by drhollan » 01 Feb 2006 06:58

Sorry that is Leningrad, I always confuse the two.

Serbian boy

Re: ss from kluxemburg

Post by Serbian boy » 02 Feb 2006 00:24

Denim Demon wrote:I dont think there were any ss troops at stalingrad?
Agree.

anfula

Re: Robert Weiland

Post by anfula » 24 Jul 2015 13:32

drhollan wrote:Hello folks,
I accidentally ran across this forum and noticed your discussion about Luxembourg SS members. My uncle was a member of the SS during ww2. He still lives in Luxembourg City. His name is Robert Weiland, sometimes spelled Weyland by mistake. Some of our family use the latter spelling because it doesn't appear of German origin. He was originally a letter carrier for the SS at Villa Pollie (spelling may be wrong), SS headquarters in Luxembourg City. He was sent to the Russian front at Stalingrad after fraternizing with an officers girlfriend. He was wounded there. He faught alonside with his brother, also a Weiland who was killed at Stalingrad by a mortar shell. I do not know if my other uncle was an SS member or not. His death is rarely discussed. I have pictures of my uncle in SS uniform on guard duty. He told me it was a concentration camp and judging by the background it appears to be just that. I also have pictures of his enitre unit. I do not know if the entire unit is from Luxembourg or not. My uncle receives checks from the german government for his work during the war, although he was never a german citizen. I do not believe that during the occupation Luxembourg citizens were consider germans. As you know the SS was made up largely of foreign so-called volunteers, according to my uncle he was not a volunteer but forced into service by the germans, being forced is the reason he receives the payments to this day from Germany. He had a choice of laboring as a worker or fighting in the Wehrmacht. But, some type of service was mandantory for his age group. If you have any other questions I will try to answer them for you.
Thanks
Do have other informations about your uncle? where and when was he born?

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Re: SS from Luxembourg

Post by Dieter Zinke » 24 Jul 2015 18:07

:welcome:

Hallo anfula,

I think you will get no answer: "drhollan" was last active in our Forum on Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:31 pm :(

Dieter Z.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 25 Aug 2015 14:36

according a gov. source :
- men of the german community living in luxemburg (~4 % of the population) were enlisted as german in 1940 after invasion.
- by decree of CdZ Gustav Simon dated 23 mai 1941 : young luxg class 1921 - 1927 were enlisted into Reichsarbeitsdient (later class 1920)
- from june 1941 CdZ ask for volunteers to serve in german army ( a number of 1500 - 2000 join WH and Waffen-SS under pressure and real volunteers) Volunteers because "Luxemburger" were volksdeutsche not Reichsdeutsche .
- august 1942 introduction of conscription with attribution of german citizen : 10 200 enlisted in Waffen-SS and others branchs of the WH. The so called "Malgré-nous" .
In Volksdeutsche into WH and W-SS Rolf Michaelis list 500 lux. (volunteers and enlisted) in various units of the Waffen-SS.
Some testimonies of former luxg volunteers in Waffen-SS published in a 2013 Dr Phil work mention they were incorporated into Totenkopf Division.

Georges

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 13 Nov 2020 09:38

from SSO Weyland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 13 Nov 2020 11:39

Villa Pauly was the seat of the Einsatzkommando SIPO SD Luxemburg from 1940 to 1944.
Gestapo officials were german. Auxiliary personal could be luxembourgian people (before and after 1942 with forced german citizenship).
Best regards

Georges

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Nov 2020 13:49

Luxemburger Zwangsrekrutierte / Luxembourg forced recruits,

Translation from the german Wikipedia:

"The Luxembourg men who were forced to serve in the German Wehrmacht against their will during the Second World War are referred to as Luxembourg conscripts (luxem. "Zwangsrekrutéierten"). The corresponding term for the approximately 130,000 forcibly conscripted Alsatian and Lorraine soldiers is "Malgré-nous" in French."

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxemburg ... ekrutierte

Hans1906
Es ist im Leben wichtig, viel zu wissen.
Manchmal ist es noch wichtiger, zu wissen, daß man nichts weiß.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 13 Nov 2020 14:29

french term was "malgré-nous" (~ despite us)
lux. term was "incorporés de force" (incorporated by force)
Best regards

Georges

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”