SS-Obersturmfuhrer Ulf-Ola Olin

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Uninen

Post by Uninen » 12 Oct 2005, 05:00

http://panzer-archiv.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3240

I was searching via google and here i was directed to (AHF) however i found something else there that might interest those who would like to learn more, that topic there to which the link is to, includes pictures of the person and scans of a multi page article about him im some german book or magazine. 8)

Hans N

Post by Hans N » 12 Oct 2005, 10:56

Uninen, thanks for sharing your findings.

Very interesting reading!

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 18 Feb 2006, 11:42

Whole story of Kampfgruppe Nicolussi-Leck could be found here :

http://forum.panzer-archiv.de/viewtopic.php?t=1402

Jan-Hendrik

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 18 Feb 2006, 12:44

Mark Yerger wrote:He was the only German Cross in Gold holder from Sweden

Mark
SS-Oscha Sven-Erik Olsson SS-Pz.Div "Frundsberg"
was the only holder of DKiG from Sweden.

But most probably is Ola Olin what we called a "Finnland-Swedish"
because Finland was part of Sweden in 700 years, was parted once
because that Sweden lost one of all wars against Russia.

//Georg

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 18 Feb 2006, 21:30

Sven-Erik Olsson was an interesting case. Officially he was considered a "Swedish volunteer" because he held Swedish citizenship through his Swedish father. But his mother was a Baltic Deutsche, and he was raised in the German community in Pärnu, Estonia. So he came to the Waffen-SS in November 1939 essentially as a Baltic Deutsche volunteer, in a separate process from Swedes who volunteered for the German military. This information is from Agte's book Europa Freiwillige der Waffen-SS.

About Olin, his cousin Lars-Erik Ekerot also remained with Wiking after the departure of the Finnisches Bataillon. He survived the war with the final rank of Rottenführer, and according to Erik Norling's article in Siegrunen #66, Ekerot was tortured in American captivity, and died of the torture wounds soon after being returned to Finland after the war.

BTW, the whole notion of "Finland-Swedes" is a reference to men who were ethnic-Swedes, as opposed to ethnic-Finns. Before the war, perhaps 15% of the Finnish population spoke Swedish as a first language. This had been dropping continuously since Finnish independence in 1918, as many ethnic-Swedes, including most famously Mannerheim, made a point of speaking Suomi ("Finnish") as much as possible as a sign of national solidarity. In the 21st Century, I believe that less than 5% of the Finnish population speaks Sverige ("Swedish") as their first language. One of the many Finnish visitors here please correct me on this if I am mistaken.

Olin and Ekerot were both ethnic-Swedes, and thus referred to as "Finnland-Schwedes" by the Germans. The SS considered that the Swedish minority had positively influenced the ethnic-Finnish minority in the country, which is why the entire Finnish Waffen-SS contingent was given "honorary-Germanic" status, despite Suomi being an Asiatic Ugric language.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 19 Feb 2006, 01:21

Marc is quite right.The Germans hoped Finnish volunteers to be mostly ethic-swedes with strong right wing/fascist background.However Finnish goverment got involved and got rid of most right wing volunteers to be and in the end some 20% of all volunteers could be connected to be to "right wing".In most of volunteer legions right wing/fascist volunteers made some 60-70% of total manpower.

I would like to thank all members who did took part to this discussion of Ola Olin.What a wonderful forum,what a wonderful people.

Cheers/Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 19 Feb 2006, 02:31

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:BTW, the whole notion of "Finland-Swedes" is a reference to men who were ethnic-Swedes, as opposed to ethnic-Finns. Before the war, perhaps 15% of the Finnish population spoke Swedish as a first language. This had been dropping continuously since Finnish independence in 1918, as many ethnic-Swedes, including most famously Mannerheim, made a point of speaking Suomi ("Finnish") as much as possible as a sign of national solidarity. In the 21st Century, I believe that less than 5% of the Finnish population speaks Sverige ("Swedish") as their first language. One of the many Finnish visitors here please correct me on this if I am mistaken.
The statistics says so but it is a bit tricky to tell exactly because there are lots of people who speak both languages fluently. They can self decide which one is their "first language". All Finns despite of their language are basically a mixture of the original Finnish tribes and Swedes with the tints of Russian and German blood.
Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:Olin and Ekerot were both ethnic-Swedes, and thus referred to as "Finnland-Schwedes" by the Germans. The SS considered that the Swedish minority had positively influenced the ethnic-Finnish minority in the country, which is why the entire Finnish Waffen-SS contingent was given "honorary-Germanic" status, despite Suomi being an Asiatic Ugric language.
Well, only Germans can invent something as genious as that... :lol:

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 19 Feb 2006, 15:25

Marc Rikmenspoel wrote:In the 21st Century, I believe that less than 5% of the Finnish population speaks Sverige ("Swedish") as their first language. One of the many Finnish visitors here please correct me on this if I am mistaken.
Sverige = Sweden
Svenska = Swedish
The SS considered that the Swedish minority had positively influenced the ethnic-Finnish minority in the country, which is why the entire Finnish Waffen-SS contingent was given "honorary-Germanic" status, despite Suomi being an Asiatic Ugric language.
As I understand it the terms "Germanic", "Slavic" and "Roman" were mostly used as a cultural definitions and thus the "honory-Germanic" status makes perfect sense.

Best regards/ Daniel

Harri

Post by Harri » 19 Feb 2006, 17:11

D. Löwenhamn wrote:As I understand it the terms "Germanic", "Slavic" and "Roman" were mostly used as a cultural definitions and thus the "honory-Germanic" status makes perfect sense.
Did the Germans make also cultural definitions? I have thought that these definitions were on racial basis only.

So, one can be something "exactly", but it is also possible to be something "almost"... We call that in a term "phiz factor". Very interesting indeed. :lol:

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 19 Feb 2006, 17:35

Harri wrote:Did the Germans make also cultural definitions? I have thought that these definitions were on racial basis only.
It appears that is a common misunderstanding.

Best regards/ Daniel

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 19 Feb 2006, 21:39

Thanks for the updates, folks! This language business gets complicated, as we all know (I'm an "American," but I speak "English," and I might have trouble communicating with Scotsmen and Australians, who also speak "English"!).

Jampol

Nicolußi-Leck

Post by Jampol » 20 Feb 2006, 20:11

Timo,

great text!! Do you have it also in German?
Greetings

Mattlander

Post by Mattlander » 23 Sep 2007, 01:21

is there a pic of him?

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 23 Sep 2007, 18:24

Mattlander

Post by Mattlander » 23 Sep 2007, 23:50

Thank you Juha.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”