The Dutch Brandenburgers at Gennep, Holland in May 1940

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Octavianus

Post by Octavianus » 05 Aug 2002, 01:30

Ave amici,

On May 10th, shortly before Germany's main attack on Holland a small group of Brandeburgers under Leutnant Walther captured the important bridge at Gennep intact. Since I am sure most of us already know this story well, I would like to ask following: There has been many rumours that one of two Brandeburgers disguised in the uniforms of Dutch military police, was a native Dutchman, a member of Dutch Nazi Party, because apparently he spoke Dutch fluent without a "German" accent. Now, I have been told by some of my Dutch friends that there have been some argues about that in Holland as well, so I am wondering now if anyone know any details about this attack and if it was determined about "who was who"? There was a group of 60 Dutchmen, members of Brandenburg Commando Batalion that took part in Invasion of Holland, and they took heavy casualties. Has it been determined if any of this "Dutch brandeburgers" also took part at the capture of Gennep bridge?

Gratia,

Octavianus

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 05 Aug 2002, 16:06

In Eric Lefevre's book-Brandenburg Division- is it said attack group was 6 Germans and 3 Dutchmen strong.However just befo attack,a tall blond Dutch chosed not to take part of attack,so according to Lefevre 2 Dutch did take part as "guards of pow's" to attack.

Hope this helps
Juha

Octavianus

Post by Octavianus » 08 Aug 2002, 17:15

Ave Juha,

Thank you for your kind reply on my question.

Gratia,

Octavianus

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”