SS-Division "Handschar" photos

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Tanzania

Re: SS-Division "Handschar" photos

Post by Tanzania » 13 May 2023 13:39

I am not sure; - Handschar, Skanderbeg or Prinz Eugen?

SS Mountain Division.png

Original Source: https://www.forgottenweapons.com/vintag ... like-that/

Cheers Holger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 13 May 2023 17:35

Hello, Holger

It's a "Prinz Eugen" man. Copied from: https://www.kriegsberichter-archive.com ... ategory/61

Cheers,
Ivan

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 14 May 2023 06:51

Ivan Ž. wrote:
13 May 2023 17:35
Hello, Holger

It's a "Prinz Eugen" man. Copied from: https://www.kriegsberichter-archive.com ... ategory/61

Cheers,
Ivan
Hi Ivan

Thanks for identification and clarification.
Good to know that there is an expert for every topic in the AHF.

Having previously reviewed all 53 pages of this thread, I suspect that no definitive Division-
identification could be made from the uniform alone, but only from the image source credentials.

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 24 Jun 2023 18:00

Hi, is this Karl Liecke at left?

Source: Julius Colorization
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 25 Jun 2023 12:12

Hello, Alif

I would be surprised if it turned out that was Liecke because it really doesn't look like him to me. But maybe that's because he was typically hiding his teeth in most of his photos that I've seen, and had eyes hidden under eyebrows. See the MNZS photo of Liecke for comparison, taken on the same occasion (return to Bosnia). Notice also that he wore sleeve rank insignia, at least on his left sleeve.

Liecke MNZS 5879_8.jpg

The photo you posted originates from NIOD, copied from Beeldbank WO2, and, as we can see, it was badly colourised by some guy (all the wrong guesswork aside, like silver instead of yellow binoculars, I really have no idea why he painted on that camouflage on the cook's mountain jacket, and even added fake clouds in the sky). I wish people would stop toying with and ruining images like that. Also, it wasn't taken "in the Balkan Mountains", as the garbage Wikipedia caption claims, but in or on the way to Brčko.

Cheers,
Ivan

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 25 Jun 2023 16:26

Hi Ivan, thank you for the answer. I have this picture with the info that it was taken in March 1944 during Unternehmen Wegweiser. Is the timeline correct?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 25 Jun 2023 16:32

The image comes from the series entitled "They are returning, ready to fight!", picturing their return to Bosnia, i.e. Unternehmen "Save" (March 1944). Whether each and every image belonging to the series was taken during that operation, I don't know, I haven't seen the complete films. But the known images with identifiable details were indeed taken during "Save". According to the original captions, the troops-feeding images, one of which is the badly-colourised one, show men finally tasting their home (Bosnian) food again. The Unternehmen "Wegweiser" identification is some guy's guesswork. That operation, preceding "Save", took place in Syrmia, not Bosnia. It's not impossible that some of the photos from the series in question were taken there, but nothing in the currently available info indicates so.

Cheers,
Ivan

AlifRafikKhan

Post by AlifRafikKhan » 26 Jun 2023 16:38

Thank you Ivan

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 09 Nov 2023 08:26

Ivan Ž. wrote:
16 Apr 2019 10:37
It's indeed Kirchbaum, who was an SS-Obersturmbannführer (not SS-Standartenführer, that's an error).

The photo source is "Himmler's Bosnian Division" by G. Lepre (someone tried to restore it a bit, and failed).

Cheers,
Ivan
about Kirchbaum
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 09 Nov 2023 09:25

Thanks, Albert. So his rank was posthumously "corrected" to Standartenführer. Still, it's the rank he held while he was alive that counts and that is Obersturmbannführer.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”