"Blacks" in the German military?

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Ezboard

"Blacks" in the German military?

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 14:40

Pavel B
Unregistered User
(7/19/00 2:14:25 pm)
Reply "Blacks" in the German military?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did any "blacks" serve in the German military?

George Huelse
Unregistered User
(7/19/00 10:49:12 pm)
Reply Blacks, etc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is very doubtful that anybody of African decent fought in the German military.

There were small scale pogroms against them in the area's where Germany actually had black citizens. So-called black music of Jazz and the Blues were not permitted in Germany, etc.

Furthermore, black soldiers captured in Africa who served w/ the French were killed wholesale. However, most African-Americans POWs were not mistreated and simply placed in standard prison facilities.

The only "non-Whites" I can think of who served in the German military would be the Indian volunteers.

Good day.

Chad Crompton
Unregistered User
(7/20/00 5:23:08 am)
Reply More Information
George,

Yes the members of the Freiwilligen Indishce Legion that served in the Waffen-SS were not caucasian, but one cannot forget about members of the Ostturkischen Waffen-Verbande der SS, some of its personnel being Azerbaijanis, Ural Tartars and the like.

Regards,
Chad

George Huelse
Unregistered User
(7/20/00 3:37:58 pm)
Reply Oop, your right
I knew I was forgetting someone in there. Thanks.

Chad Crompton
Unregistered User
(7/21/00 3:21:57 am)
Reply More...
George,

One cannot also forget about the Free Arab Legion that fought with the Germans in North Africa and in Greece.

Well theres probably many more, but Im tired and must hit the sack.

And your welcome.

Regards,
Chad

David E M
Unregistered User
(7/21/00 10:40:11 am)
Reply And yet still more..
I have a video about Barbarossa it has in it a 'cameo' shot of troops in a transport aircraft going where or why I dont know, The soldier nearest the camera is wearing normal Wehrmacht uniform no special unit badges etc. He is not Asian , Arab , or Indian, and he is not white my guess is he is from some German pre-war colony. Interesting thought?. I would like to know if anyone has anymore details on cases like this. cheers, David.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”